Robert Douglas - Reviews

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Robert Douglas - Reviews

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:36 pm

Now that Robert Douglas' new book "At Her Majesty's Pleasure is available I thought it would be good to hear what you thought of his previous two books.

Please provide your review of "Night Song of the Last Tram" and "Somewhere to Lay My Head".

And if you have his new book let everyone know what you think of this too.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:47 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:56 pm

I wonder if there's a chapter on his performance in the 2003 UEFA Cup Final against Porto - he was embarrassingly woeful.
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 am

Night Song of the Last Tram was excellent. Somewhere to Lay my Head was not as engaging but still a pretty good read.

Looking forward to his new book.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dougie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:10 pm

Bought it at Waterstones this afternoon, and have read the first few chapters. So far excellent, and the fact he agrees that criminals in prison deserve a right good kicking makes a refreshing change from the usual liberal pansies.

It'll have to go some to beat the first book though! :D
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

robert douglas

Postby norman mcnamee » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:41 am

I have just finished Song of the Last Tram, easy read and I could relate to what was written.
I will be seeking the other two books.
Bye for now, Norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Recently finished reading "At Her Majesty's Pleasure"

Although it doesn't have the same attraction as "Night Song of the Last Tram" it is still a very good read and I would recommend it to everyone who has read any of the other two books by Robert Douglas.

There are some references to his visits to Glasgow so this provides some further detail of parts of Glasgow mentioned in the previous books.

Robert has an easygoing style of writing which is very easy to get into and once you start I am sure you will find it hard to put down. With some references to infamous prisoners he encountered during his year in the prison service there is an opportunity to gleam an insight into their life in prison.

The descriptive style of writing allows you to feel you can see the places he has been and helps you get into the heart of the story. Many laughs along the way and maybe even a few tears for the more sensitive reader.

A thoroughly good book well worth the cover price.

Rates a :D :D :D ::): :D :D :D :D ::): out of 10
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 pm

I bought it at the weekend and i've only managed to read the first few chapters. Whereas i read 'Night Song...' in one sitting, and 'Somewhere to Lay My Head' in a couple of days.
I shall persevere, but although i love his writing style and amiable personality, the autobiography of a prison warder just isn't doing it for me.
dazza
-
-

Postby catriona » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks to my wonderful and caring sister, who first introduced me to Night Song of the Last Tram, my sanity is still somewhat intact.
One late night, in the midst of a a very stressful period in my life, my sister, called and said, "Wait till you hear this!" At first I couldn't make out what she was saying...she was laughing so much as she read to me the chapter about Robert's visit to the dentist, (page 67 - "Doctors and Dentists Are Bad For You") It was hillarious!!! Thus began a nightly ritual of phone calls from my sister, meteing out one chapter at a time, in no particular order. (which was her way of helping to lighten my load, since we didn't live near each other) That's the beauty of the book, every chapter tells it's own wee story. My sister and I laughed and cried over that book, nightly, for weeks. I eventually purchased my own copy from Amazon.com and was able to read it from the beginning, chapter by chapter in proper order. It remains a treasured possession to pick up and open whenever I need a wee pick-me-up.

I should mention that our mum was Glasgow born and bred and although we were born and raised, "Doon the Watter", our mum never lost her Glasgow accent. When we were little she'd relate things to us about her Glasgow childhood that mirrored exactly, so much of the stuff in Night Song...
To belittle is to be little
catriona
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Robert Douglas

Postby TC1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 am

TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:15 am

dazzababes wrote:I bought it at the weekend and i've only managed to read the first few chapters. Whereas i read 'Night Song...' in one sitting, and 'Somewhere to Lay My Head' in a couple of days.
I shall persevere, but although i love his writing style and amiable personality, the autobiography of a prison warder just isn't doing it for me.

I agree. My friend bought and read it within a couple of days. However, I just can't get into it at all, even skipping some bits as they are an almighty bore.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Well there's a surprise!

Something Fat Cat doesn't like :D
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Evening Times

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:53 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:02 pm

Well, that's me finished it now. I think it's essential reading for those who have read and enjoyed his previous two books, but i don't think it's of particular interest as a stand-alone autobiography - unless you have a particular penchant for the tales of a prison officer.
I trust i shall see you at the Mitchell book launch Alex?
dazza
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 pm

Look forward to seeing you there Dazza.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)