Bums, hippies and Greenpeace

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby scotia47 » Thu May 13, 2004 6:22 pm

I've had two encounters with Hari Krishnas. First was on University Avenue in October, second was when I was walking down Buchanan Street in January. In each case, they asked me to buy CDs. I politely declined. They then began to pester me for a donation, "for charity". After finally caving in, thay gave me some sort of Krishna book (didn't stop to read what was in it), which in both cases quickly found its way into a bin. I've lost a total of £3 due to these incidents, but I'm determined that amount won't rise any higher. I'm all for charity, but pestering random people in the street will never make you many friends. :evil:

And it's not just confined to Glasgow either. During a visit to Edinburgh the other day, there was a hugely disturbing number of beggars along Princes Street, along with more than a few people "carrying out a survey". I only just resisted the urge to tell them where they could shove their effing surveys...

What can be done? :?
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Thu May 13, 2004 7:26 pm

In Italy I was accosted by a 'wailing woman' - or Gypsy Strega (Witch).

I didn't give her a penny.

She wailed at me.

I was kicking myself - the b!tch had cursed me (And not having the language skills I didn't even know it)! That day I got on the wrong train and went 250miles overland in Italy - IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

The only person in the party of four who gave her a penny drew the short straw for the lift in the car.. And so didn't go in the wrong direction whatsoever.

Never fvck with the wailing woman, that curse sh!t is usually spot on.

Chris...
Last edited by turbozutek on Thu May 13, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby evilmiss » Thu May 13, 2004 10:34 pm

Arrggg. The 'gouranga' people have even slimed their way into Paisley. I was coming out of Marks n Spensahs on the High Street, when this bloke who resembled Lurch with a topknot stopped me and this is how the convo went:

Lurch: 'What did you buy?'.
Me: 'Stuff. Anyhow, it's none of you business.'
Lurch: 'Do you have any milk?'
Me: 'No.'
Lurch: 'Will you buy me some?'
Me: 'I don't think so.'

I begin to walk away and the bugger starts following me...

Me: 'Stop following me'.
Lurch: 'Where do you live?'
Me: 'Far, Far away'
Lurch: 'I was hoping that you'd give me a cup of tea'.
Me (getting annoyed): 'Piss off'
Lurch '...'
Me (in a loud voice, well shouting really): 'STOP STALKING ME! LEAVE ME ALONE - YOU FREAKSHOW'

And guess what? He stopped following me and I went home to eat a mini trifle. :twisted:
Don't dream it. Be it.
evilmiss
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Thu May 13, 2004 10:40 pm

Ha!

This is exactly what one of them asked me outside central station 'Will you buy me some milk?'.

What is the significance of Milk ? None of these guys lactose intolerant???!??

As it stood I told her I wouldn't at any point be buying her any milk, but as she was fairly attractive I would give her free of charge a pearl necklace.

Went straight over her head.... ;-) (Double.Meaning)

Whereabouts in Paisley you from Evilmiss ? I used to live over in Canal St.. Moved to Kilmarnock a couple of years ago but I'm moving back to Paisly as soon as I can sell my house down here!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu May 13, 2004 11:16 pm

Gouranga!

-F-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Thu May 13, 2004 11:21 pm

I reckon that if they get X amount of people to say that, then satan comes and takes over the earth.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu May 13, 2004 11:36 pm

Usually saying "no thanks" before they speak puts them off.
How about the wee guy or gal that comes round the pub's with those bloody roses on Fridays and Saturday nights in the toon.
A pound for a rose, fluk off.

Grocery packers who happen to be cubs,scouts, brownies or BB.
Can I state for the record
“THEY ARE SHITE AT PACKING BAGS”
1.They look pissed off 'cause they’re not geting paid.
2.They put yer loaf or rolls at the bottom of the bag, then put yer tins/cans/bottle on top to squash yer loaf.
3.They expect to get a donation.

The lord is my Shepard

-The Modern Fossil- A kind soul in an ever-changing world
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Fri May 14, 2004 1:03 am

The Boy Scouts' Bagpackers' Prayer.

The Lord is in Safeway, in queues I shall not wait. He maketh me to lie down in the green beans, he leadeth me beside the Perrier water. He restoreth my clothes, he leadeth me in the aisle of hair care products for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Jolly Green Giant, I will fear no inferior vegetable products, for thou art with me, thy barcode scanner and thy price tagger they do comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me of thine finest chintz tablecloth, set verily with thy finest condiments in the presence of my enemies (Spar, Abdul's Cornershop and the Shell Garage shop). Thou annointest my frying pan with Crisp N Dry oil; my acne runneth over.

Surely bargains and meaty goodness shall follow me all through my shopping career, and I will dwell in the Aisle of the Lord (number 7) forever.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri May 14, 2004 5:28 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Usually saying "no thanks" before they speak puts them off.
How about the wee guy or gal that comes round the pub's with those bloody roses on Fridays and Saturday nights in the toon.
A pound for a rose, fluk off.

-The Modern Fossil- A kind soul in an ever-changing world

I was reliably informed by someone once that the wee wummans name is nina.

And although she is all smiles when she comes into the pub, when she leaves the face forms into a hard businesslike stare as she moves onto the next pub. It's very amusing to watch...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Fri May 14, 2004 9:38 am

At least those cnuts at Moonbeams kiddies cancer charity got exposed for the fraudsters I always knew them to be...

I used to go mental at friends who bought their shitty sweets when they came round the pubs. It was so obviously dodgy.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

come on guys

Postby cataclyzm » Fri May 14, 2004 11:44 am

Well,

Let me just say that people seem to attach a lot of importance to money and what might or might not happen to it. I would hate to go out with you lot for a curry and cinema on a Friday night. I'll bet you'd all be worrying about the cost of everything and scrutinizing who orders the most expensive item on the menu. (why...the very impudence!_)
Go on....live your lives, and stop worrying about silly and irrelevant things - because at the end of the day, we all get by. Be generous, although I'm sure there are many generous folk in the hidden Glasgow forum. As long as we all keep an eye on those six month old babies with that begging woman, cause it's only people whose parents have retired to a bungalow in Ayr who can really claim to be "hard working" or somehow deserving of their place on this earth.
It's so like life for people to focus on a grain of sand, whilst the mountain stands before them. Open your eyes and see what's really going on in the world, and has always been. Stop scrutenizing the beggars on the street and dare to look at those with their hands in the till of life. But no...that would mean actually confronting some real issues, so let's just do what Hitler did, and focus on the disenfranchised and rejected.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

and another thing.!!!!

Postby cataclyzm » Fri May 14, 2004 11:51 am

:wink:
PGC.... I would gladly give you money if I had it, but I don't have very much and what I do have, usually gets spent on my dogs.
Credit cards are very dangerous things....as well as bank charges for being overdrawn. They even charged me a £13 referral fee, for a £2 donation to cancer research and I was only overdrawn for 1 day. Bastards!
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Osiris » Fri May 14, 2004 11:57 am

I was once accosted by a person of no fixed abode on London Bridge and for some reason I replied to his plead for cash with "Sorry mate, i've got no hands", even though my hands were quite visible. Dunno what made me say this but it had a great effect, leaving the guy quite stupified.

My wife can't bear it when we get stopped by religious zealots as I always feel the urge to convert 'them' to science and rationality, cue heated discussions on the high street.

Anyone remember the homeless guy that used to get on the Hamilton Circle trains, he was mid forties (maybe younger), always wore a tweed-style jacket and had long greasy black hair and beard. I think his nickname was 'The black labrador', funny thing was... he always had a ticket even though he spent all day on the rail network.

The don't make tramps like they used to.

Cheers,
J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri May 14, 2004 12:15 pm

Osiris wrote:I was once accosted by a person of no fixed abode on London Bridge and for some reason I replied to his plead for cash with "Sorry mate, i've got no hands", even though my hands were quite visible. Dunno what made me say this but it had a great effect, leaving the guy quite stupified.

That has to be the funniest thing I've heard today. In fact, "Sorry mate, I've got no hands" has to be my sig now....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Human Behaviour

Postby cataclyzm » Fri May 14, 2004 12:20 pm

mmmm!

Strange thing is, do we really anticipate that people who have nothing in life are going to behaviour in a socially acceptable manner? They don't have anything to lose.
In particular, mentally ill people do have moments of complete lucidity, when they might appear "normal" and to all intents and purposes as dishonest and faking their position. Do we expect them to behave in a certain way? Until you've really experienced complete poverty, I don't think any of us can judge, and actually; an individual's life is so complex and the paths they travelled so different from our own, how can we be so arrogant as to assume an understanding of them in one moment of our own embarassment?
The problem with Glasgow, is that it is becoming more like London and Dublin, when people are becoming colder and more judgmental of one another, and what might appear as arrogance or insincerity, might only be one moment of a very crap day and their reaction to it.
Ultimately: we are all victims of this life - we either decide to condemn others or try to take the effort to see the fuller picture.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)