Glasgow central ticket people...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow central ticket people...

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Has anyone ever notticed that the people standing as " barriers " at glasgow central are down right rude and ignorant? ( appologies if theirs anyone on here who works there ) but theirs actually no need to be so ignorant!

I live in greenock and instead of coming from there this morning (where ur almost guaranteed to be asked for a ticket due to the length of the journey) I got on at paisley as i stayed with my boyfriend last night. He dropped me off at the carpark and I hopped the wall onto the platform. Got into glasgow central and the " barriers " were there. Walked over to this young chap stood with 2 woman, one just a bit older than me and an older stout one. I said.. " can i buy a ticket please " he said " sure, where did you come from "? i said " paisley gilmour street ". At this point the older woman stood forward from the glass and said " Naw sorry hen u kany huv came fae paisley gilmour street theirs barriers er "! I sort of stood in shock, how on earth did someone with a voice like that manage to get a job? I work for customer service and if someone like that appeared anywhere near our call centre she wouldnt have stepped foot in the front door never mind in a face to face enviroment! Anyways...I ignored her, and explained to the chap that I jumped the wall due to being dropped off at the car park, and he said " You do know you shouldnt be doing things like that ". I just sort of looked at him, and said " look its not as if i was trying to dodge buying a ticket i'm happy to pay for one now, can you hurry up please i'm going to be late for work"! So he printed my ticket, and just as I was about to walk away the woman said something really cheeky. I turned round and said " excuse me " and she just stared at me as if I was stupid. " Learn some manners " i sneered...and walked off down the stairs...absoultley disgusted i was! Seriously considering taking the car to work from now on, but I grudge paying the exhibition centre car park 3 quid a day plus petrol all the way up the coast.

Outcome of my rant......

Central station need happy customer service advisors!! :D
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Great start to the working week, eh? What must visitors think?

Would it not be better to have manned stations, and have someone sell tickets on the train? Hardly rocket science.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:27 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Great start to the working week, eh? What must visitors think?

Would it not be better to have manned stations, and have someone sell tickets on the train? Hardly rocket science.

The stations ARE manned but theirs not always people there to check that everyone has a ticket, so people just head on up onto hte platform. Most of the time theirs a conductor on the train although sometimes their isnt and you get away without paying. In this case the conductor musn't have bothered to check the people that got on at Paisley due to the " barriers " being there...I didnt know this though.
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Glasgow central ticket people...

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:14 pm

GlasgowDancer wrote:Has anyone ever notticed that the people standing as " barriers " at glasgow central are down right rude and ignorant? ( appologies if theirs anyone on here who works there ) but theirs actually no need to be so ignorant!

I live in greenock and instead of coming from there this morning (where ur almost guaranteed to be asked for a ticket due to the length of the journey) I got on at paisley as i stayed with my boyfriend last night. He dropped me off at the carpark and I hopped the wall onto the platform. Got into glasgow central and the " barriers " were there. Walked over to this young chap stood with 2 woman, one just a bit older than me and an older stout one. I said.. " can i buy a ticket please " he said " sure, where did you come from "? i said " paisley gilmour street ". At this point the older woman stood forward from the glass and said " Naw sorry hen u kany huv came fae paisley gilmour street theirs barriers er "! I sort of stood in shock, how on earth did someone with a voice like that manage to get a job? I work for customer service and if someone like that appeared anywhere near our call centre she wouldnt have stepped foot in the front door never mind in a face to face enviroment! Anyways...I ignored her, and explained to the chap that I jumped the wall due to being dropped off at the car park, and he said " You do know you shouldnt be doing things like that ". I just sort of looked at him, and said " look its not as if i was trying to dodge buying a ticket i'm happy to pay for one now, can you hurry up please i'm going to be late for work"! So he printed my ticket, and just as I was about to walk away the woman said something really cheeky. I turned round and said " excuse me " and she just stared at me as if I was stupid. " Learn some manners " i sneered...and walked off down the stairs...absoultley disgusted i was! Seriously considering taking the car to work from now on, but I grudge paying the exhibition centre car park 3 quid a day plus petrol all the way up the coast.

Outcome of my rant......

They are right - you shouldn't have jumped the wall. Don't blame them for not believing you got on at Paisley if you're jumping walls!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:54 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
GlasgowDancer wrote:Has anyone ever notticed that the people standing as " barriers " at glasgow central are down right rude and ignorant? ( appologies if theirs anyone on here who works there ) but theirs actually no need to be so ignorant!

Outcome of my rant......

They are right - you shouldn't have jumped the wall. Don't blame them for not believing you got on at Paisley if you're jumping walls!

I sense someone who works for scotrail :D . Seriously tho, theirs a door you can walk into from the carpark and I dont think anyones ever stood at that either, ive never seen them anyways. I jumped over the wall without thinking, and got ridiculed for it! I could see it if I done it on purpose, but I didnt......
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tobester » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Schiehallion wrote:

I worked for scotrail in 1990 any my first week on the trains was paisley barriers, at that time we were there to check tickets of people coming off the trains, and to stop people boarding without tickets, and the job today is the same so more than likely you wouldn't have got to the platform without a ticket which is why the examiner challenged what you said, plus jumping over the wall wouldn't have helped anyway.

I take you would've got charged a full fare instead of a cheap fare (if was operational) or did they issue u with a penalty ticket?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:16 pm

tobester wrote:
Schiehallion wrote:

I worked for scotrail in 1990 any my first week on the trains was paisley barriers, at that time we were there to check tickets of people coming off the trains, and to stop people boarding without tickets, and the job today is the same so more than likely you wouldn't have got to the platform without a ticket which is why the examiner challenged what you said, plus jumping over the wall wouldn't have helped anyway.

I take you would've got charged a full fare instead of a cheap fare (if was operational) or did they issue u with a penalty ticket?

Penalty ticket? Never heard of those, when I lived in uddingston i jumped on the train all the time with no ticket and if the " barriers " were at teh other end all u had to do was buy your usual ticket, they dont bother. Jeez man i feel as if i should go to jail or something now for travellign without a ticket, i REALLY didnt realise those dudes were down there. most mornings i'm running late and very rarely buy my ticket at the booth, just wait until the dude comes on the train.
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dave2 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:01 pm

The problem is that running late etc isn't an excuse - the rules and bloody big posters say that you must have a ticket before boarding a train at a station where there is a ticket office / machine otherwise you will be charged the full fare for that journey etc. Failure to do as they have asked (no matter how silly it sounds) means you have broken the rules.

To be fair, the only reason they re-introduced barrier checks was the number of people traveling for free (i.e at the expense of people with tickets), so one can understand their suspicion of people who do so honestly and want to pay for it.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:09 pm

GlasgowDancer wrote:
Schiehallion wrote:

Outcome of my rant......

I sense someone who works for scotrail :D . Seriously tho, theirs a door you can walk into from the carpark and I dont think anyones ever stood at that either, ive never seen them anyways. I jumped over the wall without thinking, and got ridiculed for it! I could see it if I done it on purpose, but I didnt......

Every time barriers are up at the platform there's always someone at the carpark door. I know. it wiz ma joab.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gwendle » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:37 pm

On that subject of central station ticket people, why can't you buy a ticket at the platform when they are standing at the barriers doing nothing. Even if the queue at the ticket office has weaved itself round several times and the ticket machines are out of order.
I have asked in the past and they have said they can only sell tickets to people coming off the train.
This makes no sense when my train is sitting there and I have the money to give them while they are standing doing nothing. It can be infuriating. :evil:
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:55 pm

oh dear... :( i think u guys are shouting at me for the wrong reasons here. I dont NOT buy a ticket, i normally pay 100 quid a month for a rail pass. my point wasnt at them moaning at me for not having a ticket. If u use something u have to pay for it, even i understand that.....and i'm blonde :D

My point was the way that lady looked at me, and the tone of voice she spoke to me in. I didnt purpously dodge the barriers, just her customer service as abizmal, thats all.

I'm only a baby at 18, leave me alone please :D
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:01 pm

gwendle wrote:This makes no sense when my train is sitting there and I have the money to give them while they are standing doing nothing. It can be infuriating. :evil:

Well if you promise it's only you who wants to buy a ticket and not the 437 people behind you. :wink:
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gwendle » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:02 pm

sorry about that, I wasnt asking why you can't buy a ticket I was asking in general why they won't let you. Sorry :oops:
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gwendle » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
gwendle wrote:This makes no sense when my train is sitting there and I have the money to give them while they are standing doing nothing. It can be infuriating. :evil:

Well if you promise it's only you who wants to buy a ticket and not the 437 people behind you. :wink:

Why thank you :wink: I'm very subtle

::):
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby GlasgowDancer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:05 pm

jeez 12 posts and i'm already causing arguments...i'll be banned by the time it gets to 20 at this stage.

Didnt mean to get off on the wrong foot with anyone. No one likes being spoken to like an idiot, that was the only point I was trying to make.
GlasgowDancer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)