Glasgow central ticket people...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:15 pm

I just remembered 1 other jouney i had not so long ago...

I was travelling from Mt.Florida to Garrowhill, i bought my ticket at the station then when i got on the train my ticket got inspected straight away, a few minutes later the same conductor is back again asking for my ticket, i told her that i'd just shown it to her minutes ago, she stared at me for a bit but then believed me, so i get off at Central, walk to Queen St. and hop on the next train home, the conductor comes along, asking for tickets, i'm sitting on my own and have my ticket in my hand, he comes over to my side of the train first and i show him my ticket, he nods and then turns to the people in the seats opposite, checks their tickets then turns back and asks to see my ticket, i tell him i've just shown him it but he just repeats "tickets please" i tell him again that i literally just showed him it, i can see him getting mad, i take out my ticket again and he walks off but not without turning round and drawing me a dirty look. :roll:
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:37 pm

Mibbie's it's jist you, Cheesy ::): ::): ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:20 pm

aye, with a face like that :P
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:
KonstantinL wrote:Motherwell is one of the main stations in the Glasgow area. It's manned and has a ticket booth but try getting a ticket there. They have two windows and one of them is usually closed. The other is usually taken up by a wee old woman that's booking a ticket to Blackpool four months in advance but doesn't know what time she's going, when she's coming back or what the hell she's doing.

Oh and if you think Scotrail employees are rude, try going on a First Bus.

you make a very good point regarding the politeness, or lack of, of firstbus drivers.

twice now i have tried to buy a special 3 quid all day ticket that gets me out to xscape at braehead (xtreme sport needs an xtremely good bus service is the tag line!) The first time, the guy didnt believe it existed but grudgingly printed me a 3 pound ticket and took my money. i looked back on his bus and the adverts were all over it!

second time, i get on in a different location, bishopbriggs, and try to buy very same ticket. guy says in a world weary tone '2.55 is the most i give out' i say yeah but this is a different thing, its a special use ticket. he says he doesnt know anything about it. i say again that there are posters on his bus about it and he very bluntly tells me that if i want this 'special ticket' that i should get myself off this bus and get another one!

so i took the number of his bus (the one on the back outside) and told the inspector at partick because that guys ignorance (this wasnt a new thing either) cost me and extra 2 quid that day!

I stopped using the Braehead Bullet because of its daft fares. Exactly what makes that service so different from the other First Buses running from Partick and Braehead? Bloody Daft. Same with the buses to Linwood- get a 9 your fine, an X6 and you are ripped. Lucky there is some competition.

I used the Bullet about 5 or 6 times, with my zonecard, and was fine. Tried to use it one Saturday, and the guy had an argument with about 5 people over prices at Partick. I was last to get on and he insisted I should pay a pound. I refused saying never been charged before and he gave up, bored after arguing with half the bus. Checked the poster and it said First Cards and ordinary day tickets pay £1. Concession passes aren't affected, and no mention of Zonecards. I still think he is wrong, as Zonecards don't get charged more on X6 or nightbuses with special fares.

As if that wasn't enough the bus crawled along and then turned off the motorway and sat at the bus stop behind the Whisky plant thats handy for nipping to IKEA- one stop from Braehead Bus Station. And it sat for about 5 minutes. A woman asked him what he was doing, and he said he was early and can be tracked. All very well, but surely an extra 100m down the road and sitting in a proper bus station as well as letting most of your passengers off is better than being a deliberate asshole and waiting at a stop no-one will get on at since the bus has to double back to Xscape. Did it on purpose and I refuse to use it now. I take the Subway from Partick and then get a bus to Braehead. Handier for IKEA anyway. I hope somebody competes with First and gets sensible fares on that route. Arriva used to do it for only £2, but wasn't too frequent and stopped running it a year or two back!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu May 03, 2007 3:39 pm

The Arriva number 23 goes past ikea and pretty near Xscape. I get it to work every day. It goes past Govan tube station on the way in and round the back of it on the way back to town. You can get the 23 anywhere down the usual route in town, ie Renfield st, Union st, Jamaica st. It's £2.35 (i think) for an all day ticket. Only problem is it goes right past the water treatment plant and the recycling centre/dump and it STINKS!!!!!!!!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow central ticket people...

Postby conn75 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:31 pm

I haven't read all of this thread except the first post or two, but I get the train every day and the sooner they get the automatic gates like they have at Queen Street the better. They have far too many people on the barriers and they all stand around blethering. You're lucky if they even acknowledge that you're there, let alone that they've checked your ticket. Half of them don't even stop their conversation!
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:12 pm

As I understand it, Network Rail have no plans to put barriers in at Central - there would be a need for 3-4 per platform, which is a lot! Also Arriva, Virgin and Nactional Express sell many tickets in advance, and tickets bought online from thetrainline.com(the main UK rail travel site) use the 'airline' style tickets which do not firt the standard barriers used by FirstScotrail elsewhere in Scotland. The Queen St, Stirling, Edinburgh etc barriers are a franchise commitment made by First and have only been intorduced at the stations they manage (and Edinburgh Waverley, but there they have only been introduced on to teh platform exclusively sued by first scotrail).
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm

I see what you mean with regards the other train operators.

There are the odd one that smile and acknowledge you. But they're definitely the minority.
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:20 pm

They have far too many people on the barriers and they all stand around blethering.

Where do you work and could I come round and examine the routine.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Im glad there isnt, Ive had many a free journey on the wonderous cathcart circle :P
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:03 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
They have far too many people on the barriers and they all stand around blethering.

Where do you work and could I come round and examine the routine.

The routine is:

1) Get to work.
2) Put headphones on and block out everyone else.
3) Go home.
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:01 pm

On a pre 9am train this morning a girl across from me had to buy another ticket from the conductor/ticket inspector because the ticket machine at the unmanned station had sold her an off-peak return. She asked why the machine allowed her to buy an invlaid ticket and the conductor/ticket inspector replied with something along the lines of "sometimes it just does".

Tobester, or anyone else in the know, is this common?
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:13 pm

cheesemonster wrote:On a pre 9am train this morning a girl across from me had to buy another ticket from the conductor/ticket inspector because the ticket machine at the unmanned station had sold her an off-peak return. She asked why the machine allowed her to buy an invlaid ticket and the conductor/ticket inspector replied with something along the lines of "sometimes it just does".

bit like the sometimes it just doesnt want to work and the conductor doesnt believe you . Must sort out the look like a junkie outfit so that the conductor can be too scared to question the real leechers and not someone who attempts to buy a ticket.*

* sorry tobes but I think I do HATE First Scotrail staff - ive only met two who have been civil.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:31 pm

cheesemonster wrote:On a pre 9am train this morning a girl across from me had to buy another ticket from the conductor/ticket inspector because the ticket machine at the unmanned station had sold her an off-peak return. She asked why the machine allowed her to buy an invlaid ticket and the conductor/ticket inspector replied with something along the lines of "sometimes it just does".

The machines are set up to show automatically the 16 most sold tickets at the station, so will show up cheap days.

If you go further into the ticket issuing you get met with Anytime Day Return (SDR before 9am) and Off Peak Return (CDR After 9am), in all possibility she may have selected the wrong option, but also she may have been at it...as 90% of rail users are ::):, but *personally* i would have excessed her ticket to the SDR rather than charge a new one...but sadly some TEs are comission nazis.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:34 pm

bit like the sometimes it just doesnt want to work and the conductor doesnt believe you . Must sort out the look like a junkie outfit so that the conductor can be too scared to question the real leechers and not someone who attempts to buy a ticket.*

With this they should believe u the machine wont take your money, i know jordanhill was bad for it, but new machines are SUPPOSEDLY a-coming, as for junkies and jakies, its the usual were getting the crap kicked outta us for doing our jobs everyone looks out the window.

Problem is when you spend day in, day out being talked to like shit, you do start to get fucked off with the general pubic. Ive given up myself, altho when working through central LL i feel you get a better laugh than thru Queen St LL, cant talk for south clyde, only know a few TEs.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)