Glasgow Buskers

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JayKay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:23 pm

I think only one of 'em is blind IIRC. They were interviewed on Scotland Today about three/four years ago.

I'm not a fan of laws and regulations, but I still think they should be prosecuted for polluting the city centre with loud easy listening classics :evil:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:35 pm

That pair are the pits. The woman could be used as an anti terrorist device I am sure.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:40 pm

I used to busk along with my mate in the shelter of Brittish Home Stores, across from Victorias Nightclub. We'd both play acoustic guitar and I'd belt out the lyrics to sutch tunes like 'Don't Look Back In Anger', 'Wishing Well', 'Stand By Me' and the like. We'de be there from about 12:30am - 4:00am, so's we could get the people going to, and leaving the dancing, and actually done quite well.

Remember when princess Diana died, people kept asking for 'Candle In The Wind' and we made an absolute fortune that night. Around £65, which was great for two skint students.
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Buskers

Postby zatseluyu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 pm

duncan wrote:
mustardman wrote:I remember about 14 years ago, there was two guys who sat outside Argyle st market, ( beside Lewis's) and jammed/busked. Now I am a big funk fan, and these guys wailed.....one played a baritone saxaphone, the other a snare drum, that was all. The sax player would wear dark sunglasses, and by 'eck he was good. That was my earliest memory of liking funk. They grooved, and just played what they felt like...

Now is there anyone out there who could help me and tell me who these guys were??? Would so like to know! :D

I remember these guys, heard them on Buchanan Street about 12-13 years ago. Except there were three of them. Two on sax (think they were both baritone), and one on percussion. He had a metal tube and I think a tambourine on a stand. They all wore shades, and were very excellent.

Yes, I remember them. There were originally two, one guy sat on the ground hitting his drum and aluminium pipe, the other played sax and occasionally kicked a large wheelie-bin. Later they were joined by a third guy. They usually played in a covered alleyway on Gordon Street, but moved to the old RBS building in Buchanan Street (before Borders opened) once that closed.

I asked them if they had any tapes or CDs once. No, but they had a support slot at King Tut's! They were called Junk Culture. Checking my old gig tickets I think it may have been 1 October 1996 support for Lazer Boy. Support not named on ticket. I seem to remember that quite a few people left before the "headliner" band came on!
zatseluyu
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby KonstantinL » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Used to be a guy that sat on his amp and played a Fender Jazzmaster (or maybe a Jaguar). If I remember he played a sort of light jazz style guitar instrumentals. Sold tapes of his music. Used to see him around a lot mostly on Buchanan street but he'd pop up other places around town. I've not seen him for ages.

More recently there were the reggae guys that played on the corner of Sauchiehall Street/Renfield Street. I think they also play outside TGI Fridays but might be different guys.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 pm

KonstantinL wrote:Used to be a guy that sat on his amp and played a Fender Jazzmaster (or maybe a Jaguar). If I remember he played a sort of light jazz style guitar instrumentals. Sold tapes of his music. Used to see him around a lot mostly on Buchanan street but he'd pop up other places around town. I've not seen him for ages.

Paul M******. It's a Jaguar. He was in Buchanan Street earlier today playing the fiddle.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gregwhite-music » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm

duncan wrote:
mustardman wrote:I remember about 14 years ago, there was two guys who sat outside Argyle st market, ( beside Lewis's) and jammed/busked. Now I am a big funk fan, and these guys wailed.....one played a baritone saxaphone, the other a snare drum, that was all. The sax player would wear dark sunglasses, and by 'eck he was good. That was my earliest memory of liking funk. They grooved, and just played what they felt like...

Now is there anyone out there who could help me and tell me who these guys were??? Would so like to know! :D

I remember these guys, heard them on Buchanan Street about 12-13 years ago. Except there were three of them. Two on sax (think they were both baritone), and one on percussion. He had a metal tube and I think a tambourine on a stand. They all wore shades, and were very excellent.

Yes I can help. I was the sax player, my name is Greg and mainly played Baritone Sax.We were called Junk Culture. I have some old video footage of us playing on the streets of Glasgow which i will try and put on You tube sometime. I noticed there is also a v mainstream rock band called junk culture now.
I still play Sax and make tv music but live in Wales now and the drummer in Hong Kong.
Hope this helps !!
gregwhite-music
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby zatseluyu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 pm

gregwhite-music wrote:Yes I can help. I was the sax player, my name is Greg and mainly played Baritone Sax.We were called Junk Culture. I have some old video footage of us playing on the streets of Glasgow which i will try and put on You tube sometime. I noticed there is also a v mainstream rock band called junk culture now.
I still play Sax and make tv music but live in Wales now and the drummer in Hong Kong.
Hope this helps !!

Please do upload some footage, Greg. That would be good to see!
zatseluyu
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Ah, fabulous, this is why I love the internet! Greg it would be great if you could upload some old footage. It sounds like you won a few fans on the streets!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 pm

I busked in the, then new, pedestrian precincts in Sauchiehall St. amd Buchanan St. in 1976, just to win a fiver bet from my mate that I could actually busk, after stating that I was going to busk around Europe.
I won the fiver, made a fiver in a few hours, got a shag from an old flame who spotted me, and bummed around Europe for 4 months, coming home with more cash than I left with.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:05 am

hungryjoe wrote:I busked in the, then new, pedestrian precincts in Sauchiehall St. amd Buchanan St. in 1976, just to win a fiver bet from my mate that I could actually busk, after stating that I was going to busk around Europe.
I won the fiver, made a fiver in a few hours, got a shag from an old flame who spotted me, and bummed around Europe for 4 months, coming home with more cash than I left with.

That's what I like about you HJ, you're such a romantic :D !
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am

Is this guy still around ?

He allways had a red nose and a smilley face as if he didnt have a worry in the world, made me wonder why we're so misrable on dreary days he always looked happy come rain or shine.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Mori wrote:Is this guy still around ?

He allways had a red nose and a smilley face as if he didnt have a worry in the world, made me wonder why we're so misrable on dreary days he always looked happy come rain or shine.

He's living with Joe's last flame and has a residency at the Clydebank Shopping Centre
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm

that will soon take the smile aff his coupon.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby bAzTNM » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 am

Bex Bissell wrote:Whilst out taking lunch today with a couple of colleagues we happened upon Mr Robot up doin the do on Sauchiehall Street,

I saw him getting pelted with an egg around 2010. He dropped the "robot" act quick when that smacked into his face.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)