20MPH limit for city centre

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:22 pm

Josef wrote:Would either of you happen to travel by bus, perhaps? Or be a pensioner? Or have mobility difficulties? Thought not. :)

If there is a stretch of road down which a moderate to large number of services have to funnel before fanning out to their eventual destination (or, conversely, before arriving at a focal point such as Glasgow City Centre), then it makes sense to split the bus stops between services rather than have them triple parking for two or three minutes at a time and therefore completely blocking the road, which I presume would annoy the mobile pollution unit operators behind them even more.

I have no idea which stretch of road you're referring to but the bit of St Vincent Street I mentioned carries the 9 and two varieties of 62. All three services use all 7 bus stops.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:59 pm

aye, but its true you wouldnt be moaning about it if you had to rely on buses as your primary mode of transport now would ya? :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Flash_Andy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:15 pm

This 20mph speed limit is a joke.....

1. It's virtually impossible to reach 30mph in a car in Glasgow city centre, I would say the average speed at the moment is about 15mph in normal traffic.

2. More tax payers money would be wasted by the council on pointless signs.
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:32 pm

Fair enough, Onny, I was thinking more of the likes of Hope and Renfield Streets, but the first part of my reply still stands.

How about, then, as a compromise, buses are only allowed to stop at specified points no less than half a mile apart, but we apply the same rule to cars and taxis?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:55 pm

Josef wrote:Fair enough, Onny, I was thinking more of the likes of Hope and Renfield Streets, but the first part of my reply still stands.

How about, then, as a compromise, buses are only allowed to stop at specified points no less than half a mile apart, but we apply the same rule to cars and taxis?

I do travel regularly by bus. 2-3 days a week I have a £2.55 all day ticket and am seldom without a 20 journey subway ticket.

Wouldn't your compromise entail a great deal of congestion every half mile and no problems at all everywhere else?

except for the fact that the half mile congestion would be so bad everything would gind to a halt :roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Wouldn't your compromise entail a great deal of congestion every half mile and no problems at all everywhere else?

Not at all, Onny. We could just build a few ginormeous underground carparks at regular intervals (Tesco's in Partick, say?).

I think if people had to walk half a mile to and from from their car every time they used it, we would see a change in public transport utilisation PDQ.

But to return to the point, at the risk of getting repititious, why should cars be allowed to stop anywhere, and as often as, they like, and buses shouldn't?

And to take up your aside as mine, who does decide where bus stops should be sited anyway?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 pm

While we're on traffic related stuff, I wonder how much it cost to move the pedestrian crossing on Dumbarton Rd, at Thornwood, all of 12 feet along the road.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Josef wrote: But to return to the point, at the risk of getting repititious, why should cars be allowed to stop anywhere, and as often as, they like, and buses shouldn't?

And to take up your aside as mine, who does decide where bus stops should be sited anyway?
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Sorry folks, for the finger trouble.

Josef wrote: But to return to the point, at the risk of getting repititious, why should cars be allowed to stop anywhere, and as often as, they like, and buses shouldn't?

I agree wholeheartedly with the good sense behind Josef's question. I also feel private cars should be deprived totally of the right to stop in any part of a city business core. I also believe that sooner or later this will become law in Glasgow, and that's just before there will be no cars allowed in the city centre at all. Why such draconian measures? Because there just isn't room for private cars in a city centre. People using the city centre should be forced to use public transit.

Josef wrote:And to take up your aside as mine, who does decide where bus stops should be sited anyway?

Under a properly run public transit system, a trained tranist engineer will decide the location of vehicle stops; and the engineer's decision will be based on meaningful field tests.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:46 am

I don't have a car so use buses all the time. If I take as an example a bus that I get regularly, the 240. It stops at least 3 times in Union St/Renfield St, once round the corner in Argyle St, once round the corner again in Ingram St, once round the corner again in Glassford Street and twice round the corner at Trongate. That's eight stops from the top of Renfield Street to the Trongate when, realistically, at least half of that would suffice. In fact, I wouldn't even have it go down Renfield Street - I would have it go down North Hanover Street, through George Square with Glassford Street and Trongate being its only city centre pickups, bar the bus station.

Then again, I only use the service but there are measures First could carry out, if they wanted, to improve the situation.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby little lane » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 pm

AlanM wrote:While we're on traffic related stuff, I wonder how much it cost to move the pedestrian crossing on Dumbarton Rd, at Thornwood, all of 12 feet along the road.

They haven't just moved it though, it's a whole new crossing, with the old one covered up! Madness!
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:29 pm

I haver two cars (don't ask) but regularly use public transport; bus, underground and train.

This evening I took a 62 into town and when the bus got to the right turn from West George Street the driver decided to try to turn right from the 'straight on' lane. None of the cars would let the bus turn so it was marooned on the box junction.

The driver, clearly a clever sorta guy, decided to drive straight on (across a green pedestrian crossing light) to West Nile St, north to Bath Street left into Renfield St and attack the junction from another angle.

We sat there for another 10 minutes this time.

:roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm

The city centre at night time is a total disgrace, after 11pm its absolute gridlock,
20mph limit would make no difference at all as you can never reach over 10mph apart from going down union street from gordon street

the roads themselves are a disaster aswell, few of my friends have lowered their suspension and have alloys and many other modification sand these have been buclked, bent or broken from the potholes on the road.

city council need to do something!
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 pm

MotoMad wrote:The city centre at night time is a total disgrace, after 11pm its absolute gridlock,
20mph limit would make no difference at all as you can never reach over 10mph apart from going down union street from gordon street

the roads themselves are a disaster aswell, few of my friends have lowered their suspension and have alloys and many other modification sand these have been buclked, bent or broken from the potholes on the road.

city council need to do something!

Merely suggesting that the "city council need to do something!" is hardly constructive.

Most of these people are strangers to original thought :roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:11 pm

glasgows roads are a joke full stop. the stretch of road i travel from sheildhall road onto paisley road to the town centre is really bad the road around ibrox stadium is in a terrible state. but in regards to the city centre how about adding a toll to enter the city for anyone except for buses and taxis between certain hours or even place a system that diverts traffic around the city centre at peak times or go ahead with reintroducing trams and place them on routes then ban normal traffic and keep them to set roads
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)