In the bin Please

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:47 pm

brickwall wrote:I'm afraid you've both about said it like it is :( :evil:

Why I still volunteer for the village clean up squads I'll never know.

The local scum burn down the the climbing frame and slide in the park and threw the remains in the river ( along with two litter bins and a set of five-a-side football posts ) so myself and a few others voluteered for a clean up with the help of some council volunteers. Yes that's right, Council volunteers, while being giggled at by whom I can only presume were the culprits. Kudos to the council guys though.

its amazing isnt it that the excuse often given for being a little fanny is 'theres nuthin else tae dae' so when facilities are provided they burn them down and throw them in a river.

perhaps covering all community facilities in broken glass shards and dog jobbies will keep them away. ummm maybe not.... :D
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby trudger » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:19 pm

The local scum burn down the the climbing frame and slide in the park and threw the remains in the river ( along with two litter bins and a set of five-a-side football posts ) so myself and a few others voluteered for a clean up with the help of some council volunteers. Yes that's right, Council volunteers, while being giggled at by whom I can only presume were the culprits. Kudos to the council guys though.

A scenario familiar to most folks these days. I feel it when Im out walking the Dug. I noted that my walks were ruined by an inner dialogue generated by the general shitiness of the place I was trudging around. I was always left feeling angry, frustrated and a little depressed. I tried the Polis, I tried the council and they could not help. At the moment Im using a cheapo CD of early 70s 'badass' funk and I imagine myself with an Afro and a righteous attitood brutha! You unnerstand what I'm saying! Gotta keep the Jones away, keep them at bay! Sorry, that was a bit unnecessary, but its all true, badass 70s funk will help you to cope.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:20 pm

I hate it. I work near Hillhead Secondary, and every lunchtime the little darlings come out to the local chippies and throw food and packaging around and generally cause hassle.

Also, the I live in a tenement block whose back courts form a sort of square, and whilst most bin sheds seem to be kept no bad, the one next door is covered in old quilts, boxes, an ancient looking table....all sorts of crap! It gets worse each week. I've not long moved here (In with my boyfriend, he has a mortgage) from my previous abode which was Housing Association. Man, how I miss them! If the litter even appeared to be getting out of hand, one phone call was all it took and they would hand deliver letters to everybody in the close and explain why they shouldn't litter the place ie rats etc. I phoned them twice in 9 years about litter, that's all. Now I don't know who to phone :(
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:24 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1268474.0.were_coming_to_get_you.php

We’re coming to get you

GLASGOW is turning up the heat on litter louts.

Since the council's £4million Clean Glasgow campaign was launched, more people have been caught discarding rubbish in just three weeks, with 110 shameless individuals and businesses made to pay the penalty for their actions
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:29 pm

engineer wrote:here in govan we get free uplifts.
last night i put out an old chest of drawers and within an hour some bastart had smashed it and strewn it across the street.
also the punters round here just can't wait till monday morning, it is fairly common to see tv's and videos lying smashed in the street during the week. why on earth can't these fannies dispose of things properly?

Don't any of the charities uplift reusable furniture any more?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Charities have to be careful what they pick up. Any 'soft furnidhings' i.e. mattresses, sofas etc cannot be taken if they don't have a 'fire retardent' message attached to them, to show they comply with current legislation. Other stuff just doesn't get taken because it's 'too old fashioned', although in my opinion if the charitites just took 'old fashioned' stuff it would still sell, people who buy furniture from charity shops are usually in need of furniture, i.e. just bought their 1st house, or on a low income, not looking for 'fashionable' stuff.

Anybody who has half a brain knows that if you put stuff out on the street at the right time the council will take it away, and they do this, it's just eejits that dump stuff on a sunday am when the pick up is friday afternoon, jeez, can they not wait a few days! :evil: There is an ever increasing pile o crap in the next back yard to mine, I'm gonna phone the council this week coz it's just getting worse and worse. It's been festering since xmas!

People can be such lazy gets, it really irritates me! I can't throw something on the ground, I feel guilty! I empty my bag out once a week to get rid off the scrunched up Greggs bags and water bottles (which go in the recycling bucket!) that I collect in my travels coz the bins on the streets always seem to be overflowing! And thanks to those nice terrorists we can't have bins in train stations, so it makes the situation worse!

Phew! *rant over*
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:17 pm

Another point lynnski is that if you turn up at a dump in a van you may get charged commercial dumping rates. My local polis tell me that a lot of the stuff comes from these guys that do house clearances; they just take the good stuff and chuck the rest in a lay-by.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 pm

I've used the Bulk uplift service a few times its been really good getting rid of household rubish, the only thing is that they cant tell you which day they will up lift when they take your request, its like 'within the next 5 working days' which is anoying if you are working all the time and have to leave your bulky items on a street for the neds to smash up.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Environment/Refuse_Recycling/Household/Bulkitems/

Request Uplift of Bulk Items

Environmental Protection Services provides a special uplift service for bulky items of domestic waste. This service is free of charge for most items and will normally take place within ten working days from the date of request. There are however some types of materials that are chargeable, or for health and safety reasons, or because they may damage the compression mechanism on the collection vehicles are unable to be uplifted.

Please note that you can dispose of your household and garden waste free of charge at our civic amenity sites.

If your waste material can be recycled, Environmental Protection Services provides a large number of multi-purpose recycling sites throughout the city.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Mori wrote:I've used the Bulk uplift service a few times its been really good getting rid of household rubish, the only thing is that they cant tell you which day they will up lift when they take your request, its like 'within the next 5 working days' which is anoying if you are working all the time and have to leave your bulky items on a street for the neds to smash up.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Environment/Refuse_Recycling/Household/Bulkitems/

Request Uplift of Bulk Items

Environmental Protection Services provides a special uplift service for bulky items of domestic waste. This service is free of charge for most items and will normally take place within ten working days from the date of request. There are however some types of materials that are chargeable, or for health and safety reasons, or because they may damage the compression mechanism on the collection vehicles are unable to be uplifted.

Please note that you can dispose of your household and garden waste free of charge at our civic amenity sites.

If your waste material can be recycled, Environmental Protection Services provides a large number of multi-purpose recycling sites throughout the city.

South Lanarkshire Council has an excellent bulk uplift service which I have used several times and they do give you a specific collection date.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Peekay » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:15 pm

lynnski wrote:And thanks to those nice terrorists we can't have bins in train stations, so it makes the situation worse!

Phew! *rant over*

Just put it down somewhere sensible (on a wall or a seat, something like that) and it'll be away in less than 5 minutes. I know you still feel a wee pang of guilt when you walk away but there's folks whose job's to deal with it(the litter that is, not your guilt).

Alternatively you could ask one of the guys with the see-through bin-bags to drop it in. There's loads of them about.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Acht, I generally just take it home. As for bulk uplifts, we have a sign up in our close (As I did in my last close) saying what day the bulk uplift is. In this case it's a tuesday so the street fills up with stuff on the monday night. It's not too bad here. And the rubbish in the next door back court has been moved, thank god! The binmen must've come tuesday when I was out, I suspect somebody else in that close got fed up with looking at it too and phoned them!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Bulk uplift is fine when it works.

Locally the bulk uplift day is Friday but even just from my window I can see a fridge, a fridge-freezer and two televisions all of which have been there since Thursday evening :x
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 am

lynnski wrote:And thanks to those nice terrorists we can't have bins in train stations, so it makes the situation worse!

Phew! *rant over*

See through wire caging bins have returned with Clear plastic bags lining the bin.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:18 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

Phew! *rant over*

See through wire caging bins have returned with Clear plastic bags lining the bin.

Of course no terrorist would think of disguising a bomb as an empty coke can :roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:52 pm

It is FA to do with terrorism other than dodging cleaning a station and providing less of a service. You could make a bin out of explosives if you could be arsed. Given the shit that's left on atrain why be a suicide bomber when you could leave a devise in a kebab wrapper and it would lie there till the train went back to the depot.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)