Architect James Thomson, Downanhill & Sash Windows

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Architect James Thomson, Downanhill & Sash Windows

Postby Bluenose » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi ladies & gents
i'm currently renovating my flat in Dowanhill. Does anyone know how to get to get plans of how the building was originally laid out? It's an old James Thomson designed townhouse now converted to flats & I occupy the basement. I think this would have been the kitchen etc but it'd nice to know.
Also, does anyone know what timber is likely to have been used for the sash windows & shutters etc. I'm refurbing them myself & am trying to retain as much of the original wood as possible but there are areas where this just won't be possible. The timber doesn't seem to be pine but at the same time, I don't recognise it as a particular type of hardwood. Anybody got some idea?
ta
Chris
Bluenose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 pm

I can only think of contacting the Mitchell Library = don't really know where to begin in there but call them and ask. I wanted to see the original lay out of my old flat and that is where I was directed to but never had the time to follow it up.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:39 pm

Chris, with regards to your windows usually it would be Red Pine or one of the dense European Yellow Pines which were sometimes Baltic Pines which were very good for shaping.

If it is one of the West End Townhouses then it could be the dense European Pines.

Take a wee bit of your window to a decent timber merchants and the Yard Manager should be able to tell you.

Drawings - quite a lot in the Mitchell Library archives and vaults from the old City Assessors Office, but you might be struggling there to get copies of the originals. Just depends on what was lodged previously.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:47 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I can only think of contacting the Mitchell Library = don't really know where to begin in there but call them and ask.

Yeah that works. I managed to get a copy of the 1888 plans for my flat from there. You tell them what area you're in and they give you a map with all properties for which they hold the original plans for coloured in. Their archive is not complete but you've got a good chance if Dowanhill I reckon...

They even had the rejected original set of plans for my block. It's about £7 to get a copy made IIRC.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... ctions.htm
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:16 pm

I live in an 1885 James Thomson tenement and i was able to view the original plans/blueprints in the Glasgow room at the Mitchell library.
Also, if you're carrying out any renovations you may find this site helpfull: http://www.gordonurquhart.com/introduction.htm
dazza
-
-

Postby Bluenose » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to the Mitchell for some other research so I may as well kill 2 birds ....
The whole renovation thing is a bit of a nightmare. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone if it's their only residence & they're doing it by themselves. Undoing some of the 18th century engineering (wonky original concrete floor) is tough work.
Bluenose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Bluenose wrote:wonky original concrete floor

Hmmm, i wonder if that is a feature of all Thomsons work? You can roll a coin down my kitchen floor.
dazza
-
-

Postby Bluenose » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:10 pm

Ah! a design feature no less. and here was me undoing some of his finest work ::):
Bluenose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)