need help finding the name of an old hotel in glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

need help finding the name of an old hotel in glasgow?

Postby soapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 am

there is a hotel in glasgow called the Parkview. it used to be called by another name years ago. the name was changed when the old parkview hotel closed and was turned into flats.
the original was in queens drive ( i dont know the number) if anyone has links about the old hotel it would be fantastic.
the new parkview is along the street but im sure the street changes to lanside rd?

but the main thing im after is the original name for the new parkview (now a doss house)

thanks for any help you can give me
soapy
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:50 am

Was it the Queens or the Queens Park hotel or is that the one at the other end of the terrace,the only other one I can think of there was the Marie Stewart Hotel,owened by Bill Tennant from STV.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 am

I also think it was the Queen's something or other.

The Marie Stewart is the one round the back on Queen Mary or Dixon Avenue. I always get those two mixed up.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby soapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 am

cumbo wrote:Was it the Queens or the Queens Park hotel or is that the one at the other end of the terrace,the only other one I can think of there was the Marie Stewart Hotel,owened by Bill Tennant from STV.

the marie stewart was in queen mary av
theres another hotel on queens drive called the Dunkeld, but thats too far away.
the queens park hotel is over in strathbungo i think
but thanks for trying
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby soapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 am

Socceroo wrote:I also think it was the Queen's something or other.

The Marie Stewart is the one round the back on Queen Mary or Dixon Avenue. I always get those two mixed up.

i thought it was the dungaven or something, but i get nothing with a google search :(
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:05 am

The Dunvagen? or the Dungeon as it is known locally is still there i am looking at it out the window as i type this.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby soapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am

Socceroo wrote:The Dunvagen? or the Dungeon as it is known locally is still there i am looking at it out the window as i type this.

hmmm and where is it, cos i remember the name, but not where it is?
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am

The Dunvagan sounds about right Socceroo Its a DHSS hostel now
it stands right on the corner next to Balmoral terrace overlooking the park along from Queens Park Bowling and tennis Club.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:36 am

The Queens Park hotel was on the corner of Balvicar street and Balvicar Drive. If this is the hotel you're looking for I'll ask my dad about it. He used to live in Cartside St.
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby soapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:22 pm

cumbo wrote:The Dunvagan sounds about right Socceroo Its a DHSS hostel now
it stands right on the corner next to Balmoral terrace overlooking the park along from Queens Park Bowling and tennis Club.

if you ar walking up langside rd towards the park, get to the top of the street and turn left. its the hotel on the corner im after. its now called the parkview.
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby soapy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:23 pm

doonunda wrote:The Queens Park hotel was on the corner of Balvicar street and Balvicar Drive. If this is the hotel you're looking for I'll ask my dad about it. He used to live in Cartside St.

nope its not the queens park hotel.
thanks for that :?
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: need help finding the name of an old hotel in glasgow?

Postby pwm437 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:53 pm

soapy wrote:there is a hotel in glasgow called the Parkview. it used to be called by another name years ago. the name was changed when the old parkview hotel closed and was turned into flats.
the original was in queens drive ( i dont know the number) if anyone has links about the old hotel it would be fantastic.
the new parkview is along the street but im sure the street changes to lanside rd?

but the main thing im after is the original name for the new parkview (now a doss house)

soapy

The Glasgow GPO Directory of 1960 shows the Dunvegan Hotel at nos 72/76 Queen's Drive, and also the Parkview Boarding House at no. 102.

Hope this helps
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby soapy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:51 am

pwm437 wrote:
soapy wrote:there is a hotel in glasgow called the Parkview. it used to be called by another name years ago. the name was changed when the old parkview hotel closed and was turned into flats.

soapy

The Glasgow GPO Directory of 1960 shows the Dunvegan Hotel at nos 72/76 Queen's Drive, and also the Parkview Boarding House at no. 102.

Hope this helps

you are fantastic !
thanks for that. it was eating away at me :(
how did you find it, is there a link to a site?
soapy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby pwm437 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:42 pm

soapy wrote:
pwm437 wrote:

soapy

Hope this helps

you are fantastic !
thanks for that. it was eating away at me :(
how did you find it, is there a link to a site?

I keep a load of research material on Glasgow at home. Saves me going to the Mitchell on cold wet nights. If you have any more queries I'll see what I've got. Regards
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Parkview Hotel

Postby TC1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:31 pm

In the 70s, the Parkview was a licensed hotel where bona-fide travellers could get a drink...... the pubs were shut on Sundays. Bona-fide travellers made their way from Castlemilk, Govanhill, Strathbungo etc. They travelled by bus, car and foot over many miles to slake their thirst.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)