Great Western Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby elgee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Fireman, I once saw a detached house in Bishopton on fire with the flames shooting out the windows & roof, it was like a film effect , pretty scary. Luckily the family were all out but of course lost everything. I thank you and your colleagues for the great job you do. I would be far too scared.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:11 pm

When I lived in the Drum, the next close was on fire once, flames shooting out and everything, but the fire bods didn't evacuate us :?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:05 am

Fireman - have you seen http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... php?t=5443 ? Do you know anything about him ?
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this - the last time I saw Wallace he was in the front foyer at the Command HQ section of Cowcaddens Fire Station in Port Dundas Rd in Glasgow. I know he went back and forth to Hamilton HQ once or twice, but I believe following representation from the Glasgow crews he was returned.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:37 am

dimairt wrote:Image

Definately a shot that was destined for the newspapers!
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Fireman wrote:I was at the Grosvenor fire, but not as a fireman, I was a spectator - we were on strike at the time. It was the military who were the fire-fighting crews, commanded by fire brigade officers who weren't part of the strike.

I stood and watched the building burn down, and whilst no criticism directed at the military crews who were doing their job as best they could, the origins of the fire were a routine call for the full-time crews that would have normally attended. I suppose its a subjective argument as to whether the regular firemen could have extinguished the fire at the outset - we'll never know.

I can remember seeing the striking fireman watching the hotel burn.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:16 pm

red_kola wrote:
dimairt wrote:Image

Fantastic! Thanks. Quite a few people have been looking for a photo of that for some time now. Cheers :D

Here are a couple more, courtesy of Paul Francis from the mid-80s:

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bearkit » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:40 am

why oh why did they see the need to demolish that tenement? Surely it could have been renovated? When you see the red bricked pices of lego that have replaced it, I wonder if they'll be standing after 40 years let alone 90!
My family lived just around the corner from there in St. Peter's Street until 1963. Would love if anyone has any pics of that street?
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

St. Peter's St.

Postby dimairt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Bearkit,
Try these. The first is an ad for the Cross Keys pub from a Metropole Theatre programme. The second is an aerial shot of St. George's Cross in which you can see St. Peter's St. clearly.
I have an overhead shot, somewhere, looking down St. George's Rd. which shows the area , including your street, after demolition in 1970. Do you want to see that one? It might be painful!

Le durachd,
Dimairt

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bearkit » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Dimairt,

thanks for those. I've seen that arial shot before. If only I could zoom in with high definition! If you could post the one after demolition, that would be great also. :)
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

St. George's Rd.

Postby dimairt » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am

Bearkit,
This is the area after the first phase of demolition; there was more to come.

Le durachd,
Dimairt

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bearkit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks very much for posting that!

See that white tenement, just left of centre at the top of the pic? My auntie lived there. I remember going there with my grannie when I was about 9 after my auntie had moved out to Knighstwood and just before the tenement was to be demolished and when we stepped inside the flat, it was like a timewarp back to the '40's. All the furniture was still there. I think that tenement was owned by Frasers but I could be wrong (something rings a bell about Pettigrew and Stevens... think they may have been part of the Frasers group?? )
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fireman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:37 pm

bearkit wrote: I think that tenement was owned by Frasers but I could be wrong (something rings a bell about Pettigrew and Stevens... think they may have been part of the Frasers group?? )

I remember it was Wood & Selby stores that occupied both sides of St Georges Rd at the cross - does that help?
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Fireman wrote:
bearkit wrote: I think that tenement was owned by Frasers but I could be wrong (something rings a bell about Pettigrew and Stevens... think they may have been part of the Frasers group?? )

I remember it was Wood & Selby stores that occupied both sides of St Georges Rd at the cross - does that help?

Annoyingly just out of shot...
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Fireman wrote:

Comparing this photo with the plansin the Ring Road thread it's astonishing that the block that was to be cleared for the slip road just happened to catch fire but a few years before construction began...
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)