Glasgow Truant school

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Truant school

Postby duck » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:42 pm

I've just bought a CD of a 1923 map of Glasgow and noticed a Glasgow Truant School marked just north of Shettleston. On my paper map of 1929/30 it is marked as Industrial School. I found the following info on line but wondered if anybody knew anything about this place and if it is still there. I did an HG search but nothing popped up.

The most recently established Truant School, and the only on every opened in Scotland is that of the Glasgow School Board at Shettleston, a fine school and in many respects worthy of the second city in the Empire. But it is maintained at great expense to the School Board, and there is danger of its being stinted in certain important particulars, notably the provision for expert schoolroom instruction. The Shettleston School, however, will bear favourable comparison with most of the English schools of the same class and may indeed be said to have begun where several of them ended. Not its least claim to importance is that it represents the first real instance of a Scottish School Board identifying itself with the Industrial School system, and before long valuable results may possibly accrue from the excellent example of Glasgow.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:55 pm

It gets a mention in http://www.palgrave.com/products/Catalo ... 1403921679 "Sectarian Myth in Scotland" by Michael Rosie. There's probably a copy in the Mitchell.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:31 am

I found it on a 1913 map, it's location, on the old Edinburgh Rd. makes me think that it is where Larchgrove Remand Home, and the catholic approved school (St Joseph's?) were situated.
The approved school may even have been the very building.

I only knew Larchgrove 8)
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby duck » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:57 pm

here's the location on the 1923 map. I see Larchgrove next to the truant school. I wonder what Barlanark House . I also wonder what that area did to deserve a truant school, remand home and an approved school!!

duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:15 pm

That looks like the location of Springboig St John's, a 'special' school, just off Edinburgh Rd opposite Queenslie Industrial Estate. It was still there the last time I passed (or at least the gates were)
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:28 pm

Would "St John's" have been the approved school?
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:37 pm

tarzan-bridge wrote:Would "St John's" have been the approved school?

I think it's 'special' in the sense of disruptive, as opposed to sensory deprived, pupils.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:51 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
tarzan-bridge wrote:Would "St John's" have been the approved school?

I think it's 'special' in the sense of disruptive, as opposed to sensory deprived, pupils.

Aye my mum always told me it was a school for "bad boys"
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Here's an extract from the HMIE report of 2003

The school

Springboig St John’s School provides education and day and residential care for pupils experiencing social, emotional and behavioural problems. Many of the pupils have been absent from school for considerable periods of time, or have experienced learning difficulties, prior to admission. Residential care is provided on a 52-week basis if required. The principal also has responsibility for Francis’ Day Unit, Springboig, which is situated on the same premises. He is responsible to a Board of Managers.

At the time of the inspection the school’s roll was 39, two of whom were day pupils. Additionally, there were 34 pupils on the roll of St Francis’ Day Unit. Most pupils were in S3 or S4. One pupil in St Francis’ Day Unit and two in Springboig St John’s School had a Record of Needs.

and their recommendations

Recommendations for improvement

* The school should improve aspects of accommodation as indicated in this report. Facilities for home economics should be upgraded without delay. Senior managers and staff should continue to audit all aspects of health and safety, including those relating to the vocational workshops, and take appropriate action.
* The school’s policy on smoking should be reviewed. The school should continue to work towards having a smoke-free environment.
* The school should reconsider its procedures and timescales regarding care planning and record-keeping.
* The school should review its arrangements for learning support. It should develop its procedures for managing Records of Needs, devising IEPs and ensuring that care plans and IEPs are integrated more closely.
* The school should continue to develop its handbook, policies and procedures, including aspects relating racial equality and accessibility strategies.
* The school should develop its curriculum along the lines indicated in this report, including the extension of the school week. It should audit and review its different approaches to personal and social development to ensure balance and consistency across care and education.

I'm not quite sure whether or not teh smoking policy referred to the kids or staff or both. These schools are cushy numbers for teachers and they still can't educate the kids.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Truant school

Postby Pointyears » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:41 am

A halfway house before Polmont then inevitably for some prison. Improvements involved vocational classes with training in car mechanics and cheffing.
Pointyears
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Rd43 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:17 am

I was a pupil at this school and it definitely did refer to the pupils :) we all smoked hash behind jerry savages class aswell school was a riot
Rd43
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tanvi579 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 am

It certainly seems like a great school.
tanvi579
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Henrysix » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 am

RD is this school recruiting