Broomlea School

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Broomlea School

Postby Timchilli » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Broomlea School, 168 Broomhill Drive
(topic moved from http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=230)

tobester wrote:Dunno if this is in the right thread, but what about a tour of Broomlea Special School just off Broomhill Drive, before it gets torn down to be replaced by flats.

I gre up beside it and remember the old school that was haunted beside it and the special section for the adults.

The pool was built by money donated from a guy who appeard on blockbusters in the mid 80's from hyndland secondary school.

Not sure how to go about even seeing if i can get a walk round it to get piccies as i dont wanna tresspass.

The site of the former Broomlea School, Broomhill Lane was recently sold to Lawfield Investments Limited for the sum of £3,312,550. Lawfield Investments are to demolish the current structure and construct 47 low-rise flats on the site.

Here are some exterior shots taken today:

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Broomlea School

Postby Sunflower » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:32 pm

Timchilli wrote:The site of the former Broomlea School, Broomhill Lane was recently sold to Lawfield Investments Limited for the sum of £3,312,550. Lawfield Investments are to demolish the current structure and construct 47 low-rise flats on the site.

£70,480 per flat before they've laid a finger on it - maybe that's why they keep building shoe boxes 8O
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:09 pm

Here's a few aerial pictures of the school before it disappears, took them hanging out my dads kitchen window, not bad given he's on the 13th floor ::):

and at ground level

Also used to be a derelict school on the ground in the 70s was 'haunted' and the building used by the adults that got pulled down in the late 80s/early 90s
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:08 am

tobester wrote:Here's a few aerial pictures of the school before it disappears, took them hanging out my dads kitchen window, not bad given he's on the 13th floor ::):

and at ground level

Also used to be a derelict school on the ground in the 70s was 'haunted' and the building used by the adults that got pulled down in the late 80s/early 90s

The original building you refer to that was demolished was an old mansion house called 'Broomhill'. It was used for a time by the electricity board.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rossfinnie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:43 pm

I just happened across the school today on a wander around. There's now a door open that makes it pretty easy to get in and have a look around. The actual classrooms and stuff aren't all that exciting, but there's a cool wee room with what I'm guessing must have been a therapeutic pool of some sort in it. It's all pretty smashed up, and there's a leaking water pipe inside, so it's pretty wet in places. Not actually too bad in terms of local young team takeover either.

I'm gonna head back along tomorrow with the camera and hopefully get some decent shots before it all disappears.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twentyhertz
rossfinnie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby samscafeamericain » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:03 pm

I lived in Thornwood and well remember the 'haunted' house. Took my mates and I about six attempts before we set foot in the place and of course there was in what looked to be the main room a huge box that to our primary school imagination was a coffin.

Smashing house, wonder why it was not restored rather than pulled down?
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 pm

rossfinnie wrote:I just happened across the school today on a wander around. There's now a door open that makes it pretty easy to get in and have a look around. The actual classrooms and stuff aren't all that exciting, but there's a cool wee room with what I'm guessing must have been a therapeutic pool of some sort in it. It's all pretty smashed up, and there's a leaking water pipe inside, so it's pretty wet in places. Not actually too bad in terms of local young team takeover either.

I'm gonna head back along tomorrow with the camera and hopefully get some decent shots before it all disappears.

The pool was partly funded by a guy on Blockbusters who got the 5 gold runs, donated his money to the fund at the time.

What door is open as i may head down too, i was up my dads today as well and missed the door :)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:10 am

"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Timchilli » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 am

pwm437 wrote:The original building you refer to that was demolished was an old mansion house called 'Broomhill'. It was used for a time by the electricity board.

Is there any more information on this mansion house? I'd be interested to hear more.

I'm presuming the photo posted by Lone Groover (immediately above) is of the old mansion house gateposts.

Cheers

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rossfinnie » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:43 pm

tobester wrote:
rossfinnie wrote:I just happened across the school today on a wander around. There's now a door open that makes it pretty easy to get in and have a look around. The actual classrooms and stuff aren't all that exciting, but there's a cool wee room with what I'm guessing must have been a therapeutic pool of some sort in it. It's all pretty smashed up, and there's a leaking water pipe inside, so it's pretty wet in places. Not actually too bad in terms of local young team takeover either.

The pool was partly funded by a guy on Blockbusters who got the 5 gold runs, donated his money to the fund at the time.

What door is open as i may head down too, i was up my dads today as well and missed the door :)

Just sent you a PM.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twentyhertz
rossfinnie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tobester » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 am

Got it Ross, cheers.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby southsider » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Whilst I was a student studying my HNC in Social Care. My placement was in Broomlea school. One of the best lacements I had whilst Studying. The staff and kids were fantastic.

By Rossfinnie. - there was indeed a Hydrotherapy pool within the building which was used on a frequent basis. I remember one day I was in the pool with a Kid when he done a big sh... in the pool :D Well the pool was evacuated very quickly.

Its a shame to see the school closed. Does anybody know where the kids and staff are going to be transferred to
southsider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Shut a wee while ago now SS, from what i recall they transferred to a new place in knightswood or drumchapel, not sure which.

Sadly also heard that they were being abused by locals..the usual spazzie comments etc.

Very Sad. My sister and her 2 pals used to go in and help out when the schools were off (before that school stopped), during the 80s
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)