Christmas & New Year Traditions

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 pm

Josef wrote:There was a large basket full of the stuff in my local co-op last time I was in, a couple of days ago.

Both varieties.

Edit : Yup, still there (not quite as full, though).

Can we have an address for this Co op?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 pm

[quote="Josef
No, as Mac said, Yu-lade, 'Made in uk for Co-op, M60 4ES' (I bought a bottle :) ). Wasn't that either Black Star or Gold Star? They had a factory in the railway arches just past Glasgow Cross. Mainly known for their brown/tomato sauce that all Glasgow chippies stocked.[/quote]

Gold Star. The pickled onion people?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:54 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Gold Star. The pickled onion people?

That'll be them. Chippie-oriented to a fault :) .

Co-op is the one in Paisley Road West next to Cessnock Underground. Want me to get you a bottle? :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 am

Josef wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Gold Star. The pickled onion people?

That'll be them. Chippie-oriented to a fault :) .

Co-op is the one in Paisley Road West next to Cessnock Underground. Want me to get you a bottle? :wink:

I'll check it out myself.

There are very few good reasons for visiting the Sou' Side. Alcohol and sex are the main ones; Yulade is one I'm prepared to add to the list :wink:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:05 am

onyirtodd wrote:There are very few good reasons for visiting the Sou' Side. Alcohol and sex are the main ones

8O

I must get out more.

I rather comfort myself with the notion that we're not proper South Side here. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:08 am

Josef wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:There are very few good reasons for visiting the Sou' Side. Alcohol and sex are the main ones

8O

I must get out more.

I rather comfort myself with the notion that we're not proper South Side here. :wink:

I suggest that everything that's amiss with Embra is because the entire city is south of the river :wink:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:19 am

onyirtodd wrote:I suggest that everything that's amiss with Embra is because the entire city is south of the river :wink:

Bewdy Onny, as Ozzy would say. ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:19 am

HollowHorn wrote:This very subject featured in the "letters" section of the Daily Record to-day, anyone wish to own up?

Saw that too, now you mentioned it. T'was not I, but that's the second mention of Ginger Wine in the DR letters page in recent weeks, thus proving it's the No. 1 issue in Scotland. Alex Salmond take note.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:49 am

MacotheIsles wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:This very subject featured in the "letters" section of the Daily Record to-day, anyone wish to own up?

Saw that too, now you mentioned it. T'was not I, but that's the second mention of Ginger Wine in the DR letters page in recent weeks, thus proving it's the No. 1 issue in Scotland. Alex Salmond take note.

I'm sure the lavvies in Westminster supply proper bog roll.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:46 am

onyirtodd wrote:I'm sure the lavvies in Westminster supply proper bog roll.

I'm no great fan of the DR myself nowadays, but just to prove that it can rise to the occasion with dynamically cutting-edge, finger-on-the-pulse content the Ginger Wine issue mind-bogglingly appears again on today's letters page.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Christmas & New Year Traditions

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Had a few moments fleeting through this old thread and memories came flooding back of my childhood at Christmas and New Year.

Christmas was very much just the immediate family; Mum, Dad and my two older brothers and the usual fayre would be on offer, a chicken, roast potatoes and if we were really lucky some Paxo stuffing! Followed by the usual diet of Top of the Pops and the ''big film' whilst I would go off and play with my new gifts from Santa.

New Years was a different ball game, our party started on Hogmanay with the extended family invited, aunts and uncles and sometimes cousins all packed into a house seven stories up in high flats. The music would begin once the bells had gone and the drink would be faster flowing. Our parties would end on the 2nd, sometimes the 4th of January depending on when New Year fell.

I always remember my mother preparing for New Year, cleaning the house from top to bottom, windows open and not one item could be placed in the bin after it had been emptied, at least not until 00:01 on the 1st January.

Fast forward to 2017 and although I carry on some of her traditions, I'm not as obsessive about cleaning the house as she was and as I used to be. I also noted that my neighbours in Medwyn Street, Whiteinch are not as obsessive either as when we first moved into this street 14 years ago, we used to watch at least 7 houses perform the same ritual and this Hogmanay not one of them took part in this ritual - manky buggers, :).

Have our traditions of the past been replaced by new traditions?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Christmas & New Year Traditions

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm

I would say so Delmont.house parties have all but bit the dust now that the bars are all open into the wee small others.fireworks have replaced the ships horn blasts and the dreaded facebook and phone texting have replaced the warm handshake of a friend,neighbour or family member.ach well.............cheers everyone.happy new year. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)