Former Lawson Fisher store - art deco shop nr Glasgow Cross

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Former Lawson Fisher store - art deco shop nr Glasgow Cross

Postby gap74 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:40 pm

I've always been a fan of the former Lawson Fisher building on the corner of London Rd and James Morrison St, just east of Glasgow Cross. The fluted cream-tiled facade in particular is art deco on a scale fairly rare in Glasgow now.

Sadly, the only info I can find on it is that it opened as the Lawson Fisher store (possibly a department store?) in the 1930s, and when it was last used, I think it was as a furniture shop a few years ago.

It's currently undergoing some conversion work, although I'm not sure what to (presumably the usual luxury flats) but I was horrified to read in this weeks planning application list that an application has been lodged to remove the tiled exterior and replace it with a "sandstone rainscreen". This will totally change the character of the building, which isn't listed, although it does lie within the protection of a conservation area.

Anyone know anymore about the history or architect of this building - at this stage, even just some photos until I can get out there to get my own?

Cheers,
Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:08 pm

I have been in the store many times when I was young. They had a credit scheme used by my mother. Similar to the Shopacheque/Provident. The only difference being everything was bought from this one store or from the Salesman who collected your weekly payments.

I don't know anything about the history of the building.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Former Lawson Fisher store - art deco shop nr Glasgow Cr

Postby Fossil » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:21 pm

gap74 wrote:I've always been a fan of the former Lawson Fisher building on the corner of London Rd and James Morrison St, just east of Glasgow Cross. The fluted cream-tiled facade in particular is art deco on a scale fairly rare in Glasgow now.

......... I was horrified to read in this weeks planning application list that an application has been lodged to remove the tiled exterior and replace it with a "sandstone rainscreen". This will totally change the character of the building, which isn't listed, although it does lie within the protection of a conservation area...............................
Cheers,
Gary

I really hope they dont remove this :evil:
Alex whats the chance of the coocil telling them to F off and keep the tiles?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:44 pm

Slim Fos.

I can't say too much about a possible planning application. But unless there is a specific reason why the tiles can't be removed there would be no reason to refuse.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:48 pm

A quick googlie;

"Urban regeneration developer, Alba Town, has begun construction on a £14 million development which will complete the transformation of St Andrews Square, in Glasgow. The 20,000 sq ft development will feature fifty-two flat and loft conversions as well as 20,000 sq ft commercial space.

The new development has been designed by architects Page and Park, and work is expected to be completed by summer 2007.

St Andrews Apartments will be an entirely new structure on a site which formerly housed a manufacturing warehouse which had fallen into a state of disrepair. The existing building, formerly the Lawson Fisher department store, will be transformed into St Andrews Lofts which will feature industrial-styled loft apartments, with high ceilings and exposed walls, each one an expansive 1000 - 1200 sq ft."

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Here's the application and reference number, I'll maybe nip in tomorrow to see why they feel the need to remove the tiles.

Reference:
06/03490/DC
Community Cnl:
Calton/Bridgeton
Address:
24 James Morrison Street Glasgow G1 5PE
Proposal:
Removal of existing ceramic tiles from building and re-cladding with sandstone rainscreen
Date Received:
Date Valid:
Applicant Details:
Alba Town Four Ltd
Agent Details:
0141 552 1466
Page And Park
49 Cochrane Street GLASGOW G1 1HL
Ward:
Calton
Type:
Full Planning Permission
Case Officer:
Ms D Beveridge, 0141 287 6021
Listing:
Cons Area:
Central Area
Map Reference:
(E) 259690 (N) 664772
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fergussmith » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:35 pm

an update - they're not removing the original faience tiles, they remain under the new cladding. The work is in progress at the moment.
fergussmith
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby GlasgowGuide » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Fom press release on the subject:

The existing building, formerly the Lawson Fisher department store, will be transformed into St Andrews Lofts which will feature industrial-styled loft apartments, with high ceilings and exposed walls, each one an expansive 1000 - 1200 sq ft.

Knew I had a pic of the building - from July 2005 - from the James Morrison Street side. Interesting to see what it looks like after refurbished.

GG.
GlasgowGuide
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 pm

It's looking pretty shit just now. The smooth sandstone (or whatever it is) panels that they have hidden the tiles with, and the fact they've put in plain window frames instead of keepin the weird every-second-window-being upside-down effect of before. All that coupled with the obligatory big box of extra floors on the roof. A once very unusual and interesting building completely blandified.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:35 pm

You can see a bit of it in the bottom left corner of this large scale etching I done a few years ago. This is the left panel of a triptich. Central panel is Tolbooth steeple and Trongate, Glasgow Cross, Right hand was a view of the Merchant City.

Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hako » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

I used to work there and have many happy memories reflecting on some guid looking lasses :)
Hako
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby octavia » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

it was a big store in its day ,my father in law and my uncle both worked there for many years.cant remember what year it closed though?
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:01 pm

my sis in law (deceased) worked there.jackie truesdale from south nitshill in those days.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)