Most violent streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:38 pm

mairead wrote:My My Dexter St Claire. I seem to have hit a raw nerve with you don't I. Wonder why????
Anyway this is a forum for opinions and I am Just as entitled to mine as you are to yours.

You opinion is a repeat of previous cliches punted about elsewhere, not backed with evidence even anecdotal and no particular insight. it's boring and if i copuld be arsed i would point out it had been covered in a previous thread.
If you want to go over old ground head for Glasgow Guide and punt your stuff there. there's even do gooders on it too. You know people who put something back into the community rather than write to a newsgroup and whine.

There's nothing particularly Glaswegian about your post. When did we birch people in Glasgow. Some time ago when the razor gangs were floating about.
This is the city that produced two serial killers Peter Manuel and Ian Brady. Oh when was that again? Back in your day.

As for corporal punishment why argue for Nazareth House style shenaigans. They'e both examples of child abuse.

How can one behave and be nice and at the same time call for weans to hit?

BTW Ted it's no wee neds that are murdering prostitutes and gettin away with it.

Or kidnapping Glaswegians and getting away with it.

Strathclyde's finest appear to do no bad in dealing with teen killers.

It is of course a fact that young males suffer more violence than any other group in society.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Pensioner killed by youngster

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:02 pm

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

most violent streets in Glasgow.

Postby mairead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:24 am

My comments are based on life experiences Dexter St. Claire.
I was raised in a happy home by good parents who were strong on honesty, respect and discipline, but my father never raised a hand to me, why? because I was taught respect and a word from him was sufficient, as was the case in most families in these days.

I later raised five sons,so I know just a tiny wee bit about youthful behaviour. Having dealt very firmly with them if they got in bother at school, or brought the knock of a policeman to my door. for some trivial offence, or even a neighbour's complaint, they all grew into fine law abiding citizens who are now raising their own families with the same values.
I also served in the Navy which taught me a lot about self discipline and a respect for authority.
There is a distinct lack of moral standards today. a lack of SELF respect and a LACK of respect for others. That stems initially from lack of parental control and lack of punishment and continues throught schooling where teachers, who now have no means of punishment, are regularly assaulted while parents defend their offspring against every authorative figure.
I could go on and on Dexter, but you are obviously one of these new age thinkers who think anything is ok, as long as it doesn't affect you or yours.
I could tell you where to stick your opinions too, but unlike you I believe that you are entitled to your viewss, rubbish though they are.
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby LostSoul » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:00 am

Mannnn you sound like an arrogant old f*ck....

I thought my Dad was bad until i read your last two posts - makes his opinions and the sh*te that comes out his mouth seem like nothing.

Ever stop for a minute to think that the world you feel you know so well is changing ? sure, you've got life experience in terms of age but that doesn't mean you can't be sorely 'out of touch'....
FIR F**K'S SAKE....S E A R C H
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:17 am

The social problems experienced today, although relatively no better or worse than generations gone by, are largely (not completely mind) inherited.

what i mean by this is that society wasnt going along all great and good with respect for elders and betters and everyone going down the football then after having a wee sing-song at the end of the street while helping old people across the road when all of a sudden some bad YOUNGSTERS of nowadays came along and messed everything up with their boozing and shagging and fighting etc....

this isnt a condition that came about overnight - it is a gradual change set in motion many many many generations ago - this is simply the latest iteration of a process that is natural and to be expected - change.

please dont lay all the problems of society at the feet of the latest young generation. they simply dont have the power to cause such wide ranging social problems.

not to say they are all blameless, but nor are they the only ones that should be held accountable. some of the original posts here seem to be no morconstructive than someone pointing out how shit young people are, and that they are on a bad path etc. this is neither helpful or encouraging or constructive.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:26 am

LostSoul wrote:Mannnn you sound like an arrogant old f*ck....
I thought my Dad was bad until i read your last two posts - makes his opinions and the sh*te that comes out his mouth seem like nothing.

Which just goes to prove her point.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee nugget » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:17 pm

looks like some "old folk" need a bed pan
wee nugget
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

most biolent streets in glasgow

Postby mairead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 pm

The rude replies which totally lack any respect for someone else's opinion, certainly do seem to prove my point.
I wonder if these posters speak to their mother or grandmother this way. Points of view can usually be made in a respectful and non insulting manner by most intelligent folk.

I don't blame the younger generation either, I blame the parents of the hooligan element.
There are a great many fine young folk about, unfortunately they are not the ones who receive attention in the media.
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: most biolent streets in glasgow

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:29 pm

mairead wrote:
I don't blame the younger generation either, I blame the parents of the hooligan element..

Ive said it before, but Ill say it again, we have generations to deal with now, the simple act of being old enough to have kids themselves does not by default mean that someone is an informed, knowledgable, MATURE, or capable parent. So just going "I blame the parents" is completely pointless, the parents themsleves are clueless that there are different ways of being, that choices can be made and that they are able to make them.

So, if the parents of hooligans were in turn themselves hooligans, who do we blame now?
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby escotregen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:14 pm

The Grandparents then :!: ... I mean we've got to be able to rant and rave and blame it all on somebody else , don't we ::):
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Most violent streets in glasgow

Postby mairead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:29 pm

I agree that to some extent bad behaviour can certainly be a learned behaviour as can good behaviour, but what about the kids from bad homes who have made good and the well brought up kids from good homes who have gone bad?.
I think by age 16 every youngster knows, or should know the difference between right and wrong.
All abused kids do not automatically become abusers nor do the children of murderers and thieves and whatever, all turn out like their parents.
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:41 pm

There are of good points on this thread and the truth probably is that in different circumstances different reasons apply as to why some people choose to be bad.

Note the word choose.

I agree with Sharon in that we cannot go around saying blame the Parents. Of course Parents have influence but that does not mean to say that you need be like them if they are bad.

Although if your parents are drunken, ignorant, drug taking, immature assholes who don't have self respect for themselves let alone anyone else, then it does not exactly give the Child the best start in life.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: most biolent streets in glasgow

Postby LostSoul » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:22 pm

mairead wrote:Points of view can usually be made in a respectful and non insulting manner by most intelligent folk.

Yes, and it is also true that a point of view can be made without the need to be totally arrogant and self-righteous....which is exactly what you have done in this thread.
FIR F**K'S SAKE....S E A R C H
LostSoul
First Stripe
First Stripe

most violent streets in glasgow

Postby mairead » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:12 pm

My opinions were neither arrogant nor self righteous, but of course you would see them as such because you are only interested in your own opinions which are entirely the opposite of mine.
Maybe having suffered violence at the hands of hooligans and had my home broken into and destroyed has slightly jaundiced my views of the poor criminals that you seem so anxious to defend of course.
I'd like to know if your opinions would be the same if your mother had been subjected to similar.
Of course they would, according to your posts, and you could then comfort your pensioner mum by explaining that the poor souls couldn't help it as they were poor wee victims of society.
Yes, it's a great thing to be feel so benevolent towards the criminal element as long as you haven't been the victim.
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:35 pm

Stringing them up isnt going to happen. Corporal punishment is not going to come back. National service is not going to come back and you cannot jail everyone.

It's not simply the parents fault, or their parents. and its not the fault of teachers. Blame in itself is a bit counterproductive anyway.

Noone is defending criminals or being benelovent towards them. That would clearly be completely stupid. What is being asked for is what to do, and where do the problems stem from.

Of course whats happened to you is awful, but given none of the above is about to happen, its helpful to consider the causes.

I actually disagree with soccerroo i dont think its all about choices, choices require somone to be capable of making them at every step along the way, AND to know that they are making good ones, and i really dont believe that everyone is.

They don't deserve pity afterall the actions cause misery, but there does need to be some understanding of "why".

So, mairead, given that none of what I list to start with is ever going to happen, what would you realistically like to see done?

Personally I advocate castration as the cure to 99% of societies ills ;)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)