Most violent streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DickyHart » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:59 pm

at least he kept his cig in his mouth
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:43 pm

::): The guide on the museum tour also noted that.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:04 am

There is a quality home knitted jumper on the boy to the right.... looks like the kid from Small Faces too :D
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:09 am

So it does, Shadders ::): I remember when that photo was first published in the Daily Record, everyone was so impressed with the copper, cracking coat & hairstyle, fag in gub anaw, kind of summed up what we want in a polisman.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:15 am

Too young, thank god
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:58 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6292747.stm

Asylum seekers targeted by gangs

Clad in the youth uniform of shellsuits, baseball caps and trainers, the teenagers swig from half empty MD 20/20 bottles.

Some of those now terrorising housing schemes in Glasgow have allegedly formed tentative links with Nazi groups and display a fevered determination to attack refugees and asylum seekers.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Gangs behave like football casuals, in that they pre-arrange meetings in which they fight. But as for links to Nazi organisations, well that's nothing more than an attempt to shock on a website.

And attacks on asylum seekers is just another side of what gangs have been doing for years. Take a trip into any scheme in Glasgow and you'll find young people, especially males, being assaulted simply from being from a different part of the estate, even if only a few hundred yards away. So assaulting someone for being from a different country, although abhorrent, sadly isn't that surprising.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby MadMac » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Going back to the Renfield Street picture, it appears my theory about this being some kind of "Troops Out" demo may have been right, a Google for "George Johnston" and razor producing this:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/s2.cfm?id=590372002
MadMac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:41 pm

MadMac wrote:Going back to the Renfield Street picture, it appears my theory about this being some kind of "Troops Out" demo may have been right, a Google for "George Johnston" and razor producing this:

Under attack from a thug wearing a pair of Wranglers jeans He's got neo nazi leanings, possibly a band follower probably a r*****s supporter who left school at the earliest opportunity and a typical product of a non denominational junior secondary more than likely born at home .

My theory may be right as well but have you got any newspaper reports which mention Troops Out.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 pm

I am inclined to think that the picture shows a demonstration by the National Front [forerunner of the BNP] with in the background possibly a counter-demonstration by the Anti-Nazi League [as indicated by the flag being waved about in the top left hand corner].

As Dexter has implied, the guy slashing George Johnston as well as the characters marching in front of the bus have the appearance of belonging to the far right of the political spectrum. The far left tended to go in for somewhat longer hairstyles in those days, and indeed plenty of facial hair as well.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:23 am

viceroy wrote:I am inclined to think that the picture shows a demonstration by the National Front [forerunner of the BNP] with in the background possibly a counter-demonstration by the Anti-Nazi League [as indicated by the flag being waved about in the top left hand corner].

As Dexter has implied, the guy slashing George Johnston as well as the characters marching in front of the bus have the appearance of belonging to the far right of the political spectrum. The far left tended to go in for somewhat longer hairstyles in those days, and indeed plenty of facial hair as well.

I'll check it out at The Mitchell someday and track the original photograph.

It's a bit early for The troops out Movement but the presence of A special branch Officer and a nutter who is arrogant enough to think he rules who marches does suggest an Irish/Orange connection
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:16 am

viceroy wrote:I am inclined to think that the picture shows a demonstration by the National Front [forerunner of the BNP] with in the background possibly a counter-demonstration by the Anti-Nazi League [as indicated by the flag being waved about in the top left hand corner].

Can't be that Vicery as the ANL was not formed until 1977. Also, I'm not convinced that the hairstyles and clothing can be used to identify any political allegience. This was 1971 when the skinhead/bluebeat/ska scene was at its peak and many of the clothes and styles found their way quickly into the mainstream (in exactly the same way as styles do today). These are simply people dressed in what was fashionable at the time.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am

MadMac wrote:Going back to the Renfield Street picture, it appears my theory about this being some kind of "Troops Out" demo may have been right, a Google for "George Johnston" and razor producing this:

Indeed. The 'League' on the banner might be the 'Anti-Internment League' which was, essentially, an IRA front which organised 'demonstrations' up and down the country at this time.

Sunday Herald, December 12, 1999 -

An innocent era and a forgotten summer pastime, beautifully evoked; Renfield Street, Glasgow, November 16, 1971.

Trouble breaks out during an Irish solidarity parade when a razor- carrying onlooker tries to slash a plainclothes policeman. A shocking moment of casual violence captured and frozen forever.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 am

Fetching shot of Liz McEwan showing off the craze of 'whammy-diddling'.

Fetching indeed. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Word » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:[Under attack from a thug wearing a pair of Wranglers jeans He's got neo nazi leanings, possibly a band follower probably a r*****s supporter who left school at the earliest opportunity and a typical product of a non denominational junior secondary more than likely born at home .

a typical product of a non denominational junior secondary

I went to what you refer to as a non denominational school and you are inferring something. Please elaborate or preferably withdraw your insulting remarks.
'Hark the Herald Angels Sing'
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)