INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby Sharon » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:29 pm

Welcome to the Hidden side of Glasgow.

We are a friendly bunch and want to hear from anyone else with an interest in Glasgow.

So say hello ::):

Sharon
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

hello!

Postby scott » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:23 pm

im scott, living many miles away in bristol! but by the flying bird i aint so far away really!

my site - http://www.uksub.com is related to sites of subterranean interest, here in the south west, we are blessed with lots of choice!

a couple of us are looking at making a visit to glasgow, mainly to check out the old disused railway lines, and any other places of interest - derelict buildings etc!

we're thinking about sometime round the 15th of march, so if anyone has any information/advice or fancies meeting up for a pint and a visit, then please get in touch!

take care!
scott
x
scott
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jazza » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:39 am

Nice site scott, great pictures and some really interesting stuff (i've never seen the inside of an eco-tunnel before..)

Ever have any accidents going underground?

Craig
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scott » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:04 pm

cheers mate! glad you like the site, given enough time, larger pics will follow!

i havent ever personally had an accident underground, i got wedged between some shoring once in one of the tunnels id dug on a protest site.
after a brief panic though i managed to calm down and de-wedge myself! it was a thin spot though, only about a foot wide!

i dont know of anyone who ever had an accident in protest tunnels, other than a bloke whose hand i had to stitch up after he opened it up on a piece of fortifying metal in a bunker we'd built.

i guess we were all just lucky, as the act of digging a tunnel beneath the ground isnt the most safest thing a person can do!

take care!
scott :wink:
its better to have looked and got lost, than never to have looked at all.
scott
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Stuart » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:37 pm

Hello,

I'm Stuart and i am a photographer based on the Ayrshire coast. I am interested in the ordinary things presented or represented in an extraordinary way. Most of my work is done in Ayrshire but i have ventured into the big bad city once or twice. If your interested have a look at the website.

Thanks Sharon for giving the postcard a good home and for introducing me to this site. Looking forward to finding out more about Glasgow as it really is.
Stuart
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Introduction

Postby New Glasgow Al » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:30 pm

Hello

I'm an active committee member of the New Glasgow Society, which has been on the go for many years.

We try to encourage interest in Glasgow buildings old and new, with walks and talks and various committee activities.

Our website is pretty basic, but have a look and see if you're interested in our activities.

Alistair Fyfe
New Glasgow Al
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby gremlin » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:26 am

Hiya,

Not long moved to Glasgow West End (19 years Kent, 13 Years Germany) but already reading all there is to find on all i shouldn't see! :)

Explored a few places (not Glasgow) many years ago but still interested!

Great site btw.

G.

Sharon wrote:Welcome to the Hidden sdie of Glasgow.

We are a friendly bunch and want to hear from anyone else with an interest in Glasgow.

So say hello ::):

Sharon
It's not over till the Fat Lady cooks you breakfast.
gremlin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Hi Everybody,

Postby Charles » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:44 pm

I came across your website this evening whilst looking at info
on "Blue Trains", a particular interest of mine, although my present
project is Helenburgh Central railway station, any image at all sought.

I feel for the concept of the website, and being denied (in Australia) little
opportunity to discover similar "urban" archaeology, my interests in this
regard find me diving in caves where, whilst I've found 16-20,000 year
old extinct marsupials, I haven't found any Glasgow built locomotives yet.

If I may recollect my sense of "urban" history in Glasgow, I clearly recall getting my friends together for bike rides to Victoria Park at Whiteinch,
so we could all hire a paddle boat to muck around in the pond. In later years some of us would go to see the "Petrified Wood", before making our descent at absolute full speed down the Whiteinch Tunnel", only to be drawn abruptly to a halt by the air input at the bottom. It was a long walk up the other side.

Elsewise I have clear recollections of the Antonine Wall, less clear of the Forth & Clyde Canal, clear of the remnants of the "Tank Testing
Park" alongside Babcock & Wilcox at Dalmuir, and how to get across the
Yoker or Erskine ferries, with your bike, without paying sixpence.

When it comes to Tunnel walking, to the extent East Kilbride has any, I've
walked them all, down to about 2.0 ft dia, can't ever recall seeing anything
worthwhile.

Tunnel wise, there is a good one leads back from Botany Bay in Sydney.
You've got to dig out a manhole so as to get into a big box about 3mx3m,
which lies in about 2.0m of water. This is the exit pipe from the (long
disused and non-existant) electrical power station.

As you swim along, it's full of crabs and lobster, but gets progressively
more slender so, after about 500m or so, you have the ability to turn around or proceed, knowing that the only way out is backwards.

You can actually turn around after another 100m or so.

Are there any good dives/tunnels like that in Scotland ??

Best regards to all
Charles
Charles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Hi Everybody,

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:14 pm

Are there any good dives/tunnels like that in Scotland ??

There are quite a few dives in Glasgow but I've never came across a good one :wink:

Welcome to the site mate!
PGCC
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mysterious Glasgow

Postby cataclyzm » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:57 pm

Hi,

Glasgow still runs through my blood, although I'm now living in Bangor in County Down.
This is a very good website. I've recently had the pleasure of exploring the Titanic Quarter in Belfast. Fascinating! but I got caught by security, and the took my digital camera.
It was all very embarrassing, but it ended ok.

I find Glasgow heart breaking, for all the places that I remember, but are now gone. They certainly ripped the heart out of it. I'm from Springburn(now cut in two by a flyover), and actually grew up near the long and now filled in tunnel, in Germiston. Ah!.. the slag heaps and the abandoned railway lines...these where the places we played in, as kids.

It would be great to meet up with some people, the next time I come over; with similar UE, interests. You could show me around, places that I previously never new existed, until I discovered this website.

All the best
Cataclyzm(robert)
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:05 pm

Hi Robert...

Glad you are enjoying the site!!

Sorry to hear about your confiscated (STOLEN) camera... I know I live in dread of this happening to me. I dont what I'd do if someone tried to take my baby from me! Ahhhhh ... the chances we take :wink:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Osiris » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:34 pm

Hi,

i am due to be moving to glasgow in a few weeks and currently work in the west end. i have an ongoing love affair with glasgow and have fond memories of being taken to the barras around christmas time when i was a nipper. i'm really looking forward to living in town, and not just because commuting is such a pain.

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Big Man » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:53 am

Lo I am The Big Man in to most thing except carnies and folk with small hands.

Likes Rangers fc, blondes, motorbikes, Dislikes Celtic, carnies, and mcdonalds.
[url=http://www.majesticforum.com/]
Image[/url]
The Big Man
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ouakha » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:30 pm

Hi

Just recently inflitrated your community.

For many (5) years I lived in Glasgow, generally in / near the student saturated West End (Sauchiehall St, West Graham St, Arlington St & 3 glorious years in Partick) before migrating south.

During those years I took many photos of Glasgow buildings, mainly 1960's upwards, & industrial landscape plus a heavy focus on cycle & foot tunnels. Still doing photography here in London (but not more varied & black & white) but Glasgow is my enduring, er...passion? & I will be moving back in about a years time!

Thats a bit of me. If I stay active within this site more may be revealed (can't wait, eh?).

P.s. Stuart: liked your website & ideas. Some day I'll have my own site, just like yours...
Ouakha
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby grumwsmith » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:56 pm

Hi all.. grum here, from sunny ayrshire.

Got into urban exploration about a year ago, messing about with various places.. wanting to explore glasgow really this year... seems as if there's a lot to keep me going!

grum
grumwsmith
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)