INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby TheDutchie » Mon May 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Haha, I kinda get what you mean, but i guess those translator tools always mess things up :).

Anyhows, thanks for the original welcome ;).
- We smoke weed, f*ck hookers, walk on clogs and live in windmills.. And believe me, it starts to bore.. *The Dutchie* -
TheDutchie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Tue May 25, 2010 8:40 am

welcome duchie,hidden glasgows very own cash convertor....from banjo
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Dutchie; welcome to HG :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby canannmarie » Tue May 25, 2010 9:18 am

hi Im Annmarie I Live In Glasgow Parkhead.
I was Wondering Where i Could Get Information about
tenement building that collapsed in Duke street Across From The neitherfield bar.
it happened either late 1968-0r 1970. and where could i get information of it

Annmarie
canannmarie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Tue May 25, 2010 11:54 am

HI Annmarie

I'd try and track down news paper reports from the time - the Mitchell Library have the evening times & daily record for that period on Microfilm - and then possibly contact the building control department at the council - they will have archives (might be held at the Mitchell)

It would be helpful if you could narrow the time frame down a bit / saves the arms when scrolling through the microfilm
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hyabusa » Thu May 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi
I just found this site half an hour ago when on the hunt for more info on places to explore in my area Edinburgh.Superb to find more people with a similar interest and not to far away from me.
Ive been running a small web site http://www.edinburgh-underground.co.uk to try and drum up more interest in the stuff i do.
Busa
Hyabusa
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Thu May 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Hyabusa wrote:Hi
I just found this site half an hour ago when on the hunt for more info on places to explore in my area Edinburgh.Superb to find more people with a similar interest and not to far away from me.
Ive been running a small web site http://www.edinburgh-underground.co.uk to try and drum up more interest in the stuff i do.
Busa

Now that I like.

Looks a bit more hard helmet-ish than most of the stuff we have on here, but none the worse for that.

Ta.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 pm

canannmarie wrote:hi Im Annmarie I Live In Glasgow Parkhead.
I was Wondering Where i Could Get Information about
tenement building that collapsed in Duke street Across From The neitherfield bar.
it happened either late 1968-0r 1970. and where could i get information of it

Annmarie

I'm sure my mum once told me (when I was a kid, so long time ago) that my dad was caught up in a Duke Street tenement collapse during his time as a fireman. If I remember correctly, I think she said the building came down while he was inside trying to rescue a child and that he was extremely fortunate to get the child out without either of them suffering any serious injuries.

I don't know when this incident took place or whereabouts in Duke Street. It wouldn't have been as far back as 1968-70 though, as my dad was born in 1956; I think it must have been late 1970s/early 1980s or else I would probably have been old enough at the time to be able to recall my parents discussing it. There is something in the back of mind telling me it was towards the Parkhead X end of Duke Street, which makes sense as my dad was based at Parkhead Fire Station.

I've never asked him about it as my mum said he didn't like talking about it; that is undoubtedly true as he has never talked to me or my brothers about his career in the fire service. He did once catch me playing with matches when I was around 8 or 9 though, and, rather than give me the hiding I was expecting, went on to tell me that he had recently pulled a very badly burnt lad of around my then age from a house fire; he had visited the lad in hospital but the poor boy unfortunately succumbed to his injuries shortly afterwards - sitting listening to him tell me that harrowing tale is one of the very few occasions I can recall ever seeing him visibly upset.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fatfreddie » Fri May 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi everyone, been lurking for a few weeks so I thought I might as well join up and chip in my 2p worth from time to time. :D
fatfreddie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lone Groover » Sat May 29, 2010 6:53 am

Hi Fat Freddie, nice to see your cat is doing well !
Say Hi to Phineas & Franklin ! ! ! :D
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat May 29, 2010 7:03 am

Hi fatfreddie; welcome to HG :)

I recognise that moggie too. Used to have an extensive collection of Freak Brothers cartoon books. I remember hitching down the M11 one day and this guy who was the spit of Phineas picked me up - octagonal glasses and all - he gave me £5 to get across London, bless him.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby spycken » Sat May 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi !!

I'm Seb, i study in Paisley University for 3 months. I'm from France and i like to go to Glasgow because, according to me, this city is just Amazing !! So i'm here to discover new things about G. :D
spycken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 am

Hi Seb; welcome to HG :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon May 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Seb, and welcome to HG.

If it's more information about G you're after, can I suggest an episode or two of Sesame Street? They also do a great line in H, K and F and are occasionally brought to you by the number 7. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon May 31, 2010 1:56 pm

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)