Subway today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Subway today

Postby scotgio » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:31 pm

JayKay wrote:Had been looking forward to seeing some subway festival type things today, but needless to say there was hee haw.

A photoshoot for the papers, a wee interview for the telly, but not a sausage by way of entertainment on the tin tube this morning.

Only a cynic would say it's just a smokescreen to get some good publicity for ye underground following the price hike...

There's actually loads of interesting stuff on, but its all at set times. A quick flick through the programme has revealed that everything appears to be on in the evening/afternoon. There's also quite a few deals at bars and restaurants in it too. You should pick up one of the festival programmes that are all over the subway right now.

You can get a run down of the events on at http://www.subwayfestival.com/
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sds » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:56 pm

cheesemonster wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
cheesemonster wrote:..................... People are morans.

Huh! Some of them can't even spell the word.

and some are oblivious to internet humour
Get a brain...

I assume that by "internet humour" you mean "fark humour"? Having been around on the net for a good number of years, yours is perhaps the second time I've run across the word "moran", aside from somebody's surname. And fark is a site I choose to not waste my time on. To suggest that this is ubiquitous internet humour is, at best, facetious.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:27 pm

i don't visit fark myself, it' did the rounds in numerous 'funny' emails after the Iraq invasion back in 2003 and was picked up on a number of (mainly political) internet blogs at the time, and most likely fark as well.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library ... -moran.htm
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 am

Well anyway cheesemonger, you're right people can be morans/morons/maroons or whatever.

About twice a week I have the dubious pleasure of using the local commuter train then subway. On the train it is, as you say, really irritating the way morans/morons/maroons get themsleves just inside the doorway and then refuse to budge any further no matter how busy it gets. But the very most worstest examples of that must surely be Glasgow buses and the way that morans/morons/maroons totally block the gangway right at the door... a couple of times I've seen bad tempered exchanges where people 'wantin tae get aff' nearly missed their stop becuase they thought the people hanging about the exit were... well, wanting tae get aff.

On the subway one of the several thousand things that really get ma goat is the morans/morons/maroons who stand on the platform when the train comes in and immediately barge their way into the carriage regardless of any one trying to get off - SEXISM WARNING - it's the wimmen that are by far and away the biggest offenders on this count.

Anyhows cheesemonger thanks for the opportunistic outlet for my pent up rage and emotion.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:56 am

escotregen wrote: .........................

But the very most worstest examples of that must surely be Glasgow buses and the way that morans/morons/maroons totally block the gangway right at the door... a couple of times I've seen bad tempered exchanges where people 'wantin tae get aff' nearly missed their stop becuase they thought the people hanging about the exit were... well, wanting tae get aff.

At the risk of leaving myself open to abuse I'll point out that the worst culprits are what we might call 'New' Scots.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:15 pm

escotregen wrote:On the subway one of the several thousand things that really get ma goat is the morans/morons/maroons who stand on the platform when the train comes in and immediately barge their way into the carriage regardless of any one trying to get off - SEXISM WARNING - it's the wimmen that are by far and away the biggest offenders on this count.

I have to agree. The head-down-shoulders-up charge is anything but gentlemanly but it has been necessary at times to get off the train. And perhaps educate the culprits in the error of their ways.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Seems the SPT are ditching the 28 day pass!! This means regular users will have to buy 7 day passes @ £10 each, so £40 every 4 weeks instead of £28. A 43% price increase! I for one am not happy about this! Neither are the Green Party, who have issued this press release:

"The increases in fares for the Subway is not the only disincentive for
travellers who want to use the service, as it became clear that SPT
would be discontinuing their 28 day ticket. This previoiusly cost £28,
meaning that travellers would have to buy a 7 day weekly ticket at a
cost of £10. Bringing the new 28 day cost for travellers to £40- a 43%
increase in fares.

Green Glasgow Councillor Stuart Clay said- "The decision by SPT to
remove the 28 day ticket is disgraceful and makes the Subway less
attractive to users. Queuing every Monday rather than once every 28
days is an unnecessary inconvenience that Subway users should not have
to go through. The Subway should be as flexible and accessible as
possible and this decision is a step in the wrong direction."

"It is always made clear by the Roads lobby that car users are
constantly being charged more and more, when compared to public
transport users in the Glasgow area they are getting off lightly. A
43% increase in fares is just far too much for some people. The people
of Glasgow accept that prices have to go up, but by this amount along
with a loss of flexiblity, it is just not fair."

"SPT needs to urgently look into bringing in a flexible, easy to use
ticketing system, such as the oyster card scheme used in London."
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:50 pm

lynnski wrote:Seems the SPT are ditching the 28 day pass!! This means regular users will have to buy 7 day passes @ £10 each, so £40 every 4 weeks instead of £28. A 43% price increase! I for one am not happy about this! Neither are the Green Party, who have issued this press release:

Yeah, I've noticed that the 28 day tickets have gone. I didn't always use them, but sometimes they were just handy. I'd be interested in hearing SPT's rationale for this change. If you use the subway only for a Mon - Fri commute (i.e., usually 10 times a week), then a 20 journey might be your best bet. But, I agree, this doesn't exactly encourage people to use the subway. Do they enjoy shooting themselves in the foot?

"SPT needs to urgently look into bringing in a flexible, easy to use
ticketing system, such as the oyster card scheme used in London."

I had it pointed out to me that there are far bigger powers at work when it comes it this sort of sensible measure (links courtesy of dave2):

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications ... 0277/46968
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/rep ... 421-04.htm

Transport Scotland seem fairly forward thinking, but I don't know how sharp their teeth are.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:13 pm

IIRC the zone card for G1/Gr is only £48 ish.... and you can use buses / trains across some of the southside and out as far as Hyndland & Springburn on the north as well as subway.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bonaldi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:58 pm

sds wrote:I'd be interested in hearing SPT's rationale for this change.

Apparently it's because they've decided that people were "giving them to their friends to use", even though tickets have a 5-minute delay to prevent exactly that.
bonaldi
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby sds » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:30 pm

bonaldi wrote:

Apparently it's because they've decided that people were "giving them to their friends to use", even though tickets have a 5-minute delay to prevent exactly that.

It's also why 28 day tickets required a passport photo.

So I take from this that the real reason is more like: SPT couldn't be arsed doing proper ticket checks.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm

bonaldi wrote:

Yeah but people do that with discovery tickets anyway. i always found it interesting that Subway tickets, like bus tickets are transferable, but train tickets and zonecards are not transferable - i.e. only one person can use it.

at Hillhead of an evening one often finds people handing out their partly used Discovery tickets for anyone else to use for the rest of the day. In London there used to be a trade on the tube of people collecting used tickets, then selling them on for 50p - win-win, until the Police were called, and the people arrested because Lu tickets are non transferable, and the person was not a licenced ticket seller.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 pm

bonaldi wrote:

As sds said, you need a photo on your 28 day pass, you can't exactly go 'giving your mates' a 28 day! A discovery, aye, done it myself, but you can't go passing around multi passes like that. Even a 7 day pass needs a photo. Seems to me like purely a money making scheme.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Reading up on this subway thread, i sometimes think, why dont they just franchise this out like the trains?

They want to be moved into the 21st century, and be a major transport hub for 2014. but wont open late/24hrs, i think let someone else run it.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:34 am

Anybody taking the Subway on as a private concern would like Firstbus trim the services to meet passenger demand ie Five days till 10:30, one shift on Saturdays and closed on Sundays. try getting a 44 on Sunday nights never mind the subway
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)