Druid Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby jim » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:15 pm

Last time I went I got the train to Milngavie and walked from there, so how about 11 AM on the 6th Feb at Queen St Station? (next to the coffee stand) But if anyone has a better idea... It is possible to go from the Torrance/ Balmore end and that might actually be a better walk, but the bus service is shite. Cars anyone? (and petrol money)

Its bound to be a bit wet underfoot in parts (especially around the Lifts), so sturdy footwear/waterproofs etc. And there are no cafe's so a packed lunch would be an idea.
But if the weather looks particularly bad on the day we should cancel because it is wild up there.
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:39 pm

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby yourebarred » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:10 pm

the guy who lives in the teepee is called levy. sometimes he's cool and will show you in and about the place. hes got cool dogs. sometimes he goes into milngavie and gets pished and barred from every pub and is a bit of a w*nker. always wears a full plaid.say hello anyway.
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:16 pm

Did you all go for a tramp about? Did you find anything?
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:19 pm

It was quite a wonderful place, and one I'd like to revisit on a less wild day. Although the weather did add a certain drama to it all. But i still need to crawl through the gap in the rocks, the amount of water lying made it impossible.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... c&start=20
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anok » Tue May 17, 2005 2:14 pm

the man in the teepee was not odd and it was not his summer house, he is a good friend of mine and has been for a few years. lHe had stayed there for nearly 10 years. p.s the caves are under the water fall and are always wet all year round , if you go to the back there is a cobble stone wall to stop you going any further
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue May 17, 2005 4:29 pm

You have to admit that living in a tee pee is slightly out of the ordinary, especially in the west of scotland climate. I am sure he is a delightful fellow though.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby anok » Tue May 17, 2005 8:56 pm

he is you should have went up he would have invited you in I also helped build it by the way
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:38 am

God, who remembers this thread!

Anywho, Knappers - I found a pic on ClydebankStory.com!

Also found this pic of an amazing cup and ring work, the Cochno Stone, which lies under the turf somewhere around Faifly

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:26 am

Well ressurected crusty, pity the cup and ring rocks have been covered :(

Tho, what's been done to this one, it looks like they've filled it with white stuff... making a mould from it?
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Google Earth pverlay showing Knappers Farm from 1933.

Located between the Drumry and Kilbowie roundabouts on the A82, Knappers Farm sits roughly where the High Flats / Five A Side complex is now.

Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:23 pm

What a great thread!

As a young teenager I kept my horses at Castlehill Farm. The ring of trees at the top of the hill always fascinated me - we were forbidden from riding on that part of the farm - I seem to recall a Roman Fort of similar being mentioned.

Baldernock - a favourite haunt of mine (during my courting days :oops: ). I didn't realise that there were caves or 'stones' , I'm dead keen to go back and look for them next time I'm 'back home'. I do recall going there with a crowd of girlfriends from the office and finding a 'Freddie Glove' in the graveyard. It was an old workmans rubber glove with nails poked through the fingertips. It was getting dark and the girls were cr*pping themselves - I thought it was quite funny. Now I'm not so sure!

I also remember, not far from the above mentioned places, going to the waterworks at the top end of Milngavie, quite late in the evening. It was dark and spooky, and it may just have been our imagination getting the better of us, but, there was a fire on the hillside beside the waterworks. There were people around the fire and it all looked very sinister (I can't remember why, but for some reason, we were really scared, and left swiftly thereafter).

Aye good ole suburbia!
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:21 pm

Thanks for that James - been trying to find Knappers for yonks now! I wonder if the quarry to the west of the farm is the site of this temple though, the article did say it was found by workmen in a sand quarry?

Not sure whatsgoing on there with the Cochno stone Sharon, the white might just be to make it easier to photograph, who knows if they took a squeeze. Amazing stuff though, looks like a star chart or something doesnt it! Incidently, the stones found at Knappers are in Kelvingrove :)

Great stuff too Pam! Theres seems to be quite a lot of pre-roman stuff in that area, including a burial cairn or twa :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:30 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Thanks for that James - been trying to find Knappers for yonks now! I wonder if the quarry to the west of the farm is the site of this temple though, the article did say it was found by workmen in a sand quarry?

Who's James?

I was wondering about the quarry too - but alas it's long gone thanks to the luftwaffe and the rebuilding of Clydebank.

Brian
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:51 pm

hahah wooooops... sorry Brian, not paying attention there :oops:
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext