Druid Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Druid Glasgow

Postby deakus13 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Im a white witch and seer from clydebank. As I understand it We take preference to the Moon.My arts have converted not just a few and helped many. Be wary about Devil worship as its not just done and never has been. Visit a black witch for that crap.
deakus13
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Luco » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Did another trip up to the caves or the mines ever materialise? 8) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1807&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fermex » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:34 pm

i think ill be travelling to the AWL as i stay a few km's from there and have never seen it...ill try and take some more pics and post em up
fermex
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm

according to the archaeological map reference (NS 5070 7130) the original location of Knappers Farm aligns with what appears to be undeveloped land

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Stonehenge re-built

Postby toomse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:27 pm

slightly off subject

Feel a bit miffed after visiting Stonehenge last year and buying a book that hypothesised over it’s astrological alignment only to find out it’s been reconstructed over the last hundred years :?

http://beehive.thisisbristol.com/defaul ... geID=51317
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Stonehenge re-built

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 pm

toomse wrote:slightly off subject

Feel a bit miffed after visiting Stonehenge last year and buying a book that hypothesised over it’s astrological alignment only to find out it’s been reconstructed over the last hundred years :?

http://beehive.thisisbristol.com/defaul ... geID=51317

By the looks of it City Building LLP did the work.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby toomse » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 am

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fermex » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:50 pm

I did some research too and i aligned up some drwings from various research papers over google earth. This helped me roughly work out where the dig sites would have been as well as mortuary house..take a peep -

These search sites could be some of the only untouched sites left in the kilbowie area from looking at the older map....
fermex
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby toomse » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:43 pm

from yesterdays Clydebank Post

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/thi ... age-site-/

AN archaeological excavation is to be carried out on the land for the proposed Davie Cooper Centre as it is on the site of an ancient Bronze Age burial ground.

The site — which is very well-known in archaeological circles — was discovered in the 1930s when it was Knappers Quarry, and any part of that area which is being developed must first be checked for artefacts.

The plans for the Great Western Road centre, which is a special needs daycare and respite facility in memory of the great Bankies player, will come before the Planning Committee on September 7.

Hugh McBrien, from the West of Scotland Archaeologist Service, will be in charge of the excavations taking place there.

Between 2700 and 700BC, the area is believed to have been an important ritual site for Bronze Age inhabitants.

Hugh said: “In the 1930s there weren’t many professional archaeologists.

“There was also very little control over development and archaeologists had to go cap in hand to the landowner.

“Archaeologists went in as the top soil was being scraped away and found a whole range of burial sites and possible timber sites that suggested ritual use of the site for hundreds, possibly thousands of years.

“If you look at the site, even with all the modern buildings there, you can see that it’s a flat, sandy terrace surrounded by little bits of high ground, one of which Drumchapel sits on now, and another with the multi-storey flats on the south side of Great Western Road."

Hugh does not expect to find anything new on the Davie Cooper site, but due to the amateur nature of excavations in the past, uncertainty about the size of the Bronze Age site and movements caused by quarrying, he does not completely rule it out.

It is recommended that the plans for the Davie Cooper Centre are approved, subject to the excavation and other conditions.
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 am

Ronnie wrote:Some starting points if anyone would like to do some research into the druids in Glasgow:

Ludovic Maclellan Mann wrote two books on Glasgow in the Dark Ages.

1 - Earliest Glasgow, A Temple of the Moon (The Mann Publishing Company Limited, Glasgow and London, 1938). This is in the Mitchell Library (G 913/ B476228). This book argues that Glasgow was a centre of moon worship. Quote: "Glasgow is rich in places named after the Moon divinity ... The suffix in the word Glasgow [is] one of the names given to the Moon Deity."

Was in the Special Collections Department of the Mitchell Library to look at this very pamphlet the other day.
After an hour of frantic scouring of the reference section, the three librarians eventually declared both copies to be 'somehow missing'.

Does anybody out there have it in any form? even if it's just photocopies which could be scanned, a pdf would be fantastic but unlikely.
The Psychogeographical Commission - Dystopian Folk for Dystopian Folk.

http://www.psychetecture.com
mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby iamus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 pm

What a great synchronicity. I just found this thread the other day after doing a bit of research on Harry Bells Glasgow alignment stuff and going up to the Camphill Earthworks for a swatch around. Was going to head over to the Mitchell myself to look for this very book. Interested in finding out much more about the indigenous earth religions here, an the Celtic crossover. Also, does anyone know if they have a copy of Bells' 'Glasgow's Secret Geometry' at the Mitchell? Or where a copy/pdf of it could be obtained? I found his site archived on Waybackmachine, but the book is out of print.

Also, mrsix. Invisibles fan?
iamus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:48 pm

iamus wrote: Or where a copy/pdf of it could be obtained? I found his site archived on Waybackmachine, but the book is out of print.
Also, mrsix. Invisibles fan?

there's a word.doc linked from this page for it.
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ea/alignedsites/

and yes indeed an Invisibles fan :-)

mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby iamus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Aha, that's the same site I had, but an older version on a different domain archived on Wayback, without the word doc. That's brilliant. Cheers man.

Still eager to see if anyone has anything on A Temple Of The Moon.
iamus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrsix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Some of you might find this interesting.
A reassessment of the site from 1981

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/PSAS_2002/pdf/vol_111/111_172_204.pdf

mrsix
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby iamus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Hrrm. The word version of GSG above seems to be missing almost the whole Hypothesis section. Does anyone have a version that includes it, and does anyone know if there's a map anywhere with the sites and lines marked? Thanks in advance.
iamus
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)