Clydebank Childrens Hospital 1953

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Clydebank Childrens Hospital 1953

Postby Maitland » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:30 pm

I would be grateful if anybody has any information on a Clydebank Childrens Hospital. I am led to believe that there was a hospital by this name in 1953.

A friends brother died here in 1953 and the name of this hospital was on the death certificate. The family have since moved abroad and I am trying to trace this hospital, I can find no reference to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Maitland
Maitland
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ibtg » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:40 am

I don't know of a Children's Hospital in Clydebank, but there was one in Drumchapel until fairly recently - I believe it may now be an old folk's home and clinic.

Drumchapel isn't far from Clydebank, could it be someone with scant knowledge of the area who completed the certificate?

Found this article, which gives a little of the history.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7009715.html

and this, from Yorkhill - no mention of a hospital at Clydebank...

http://www.yorkhill.scot.nhs.uk/about_us/timeline.asp
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Clydebank childrens hospital

Postby iainter » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:51 pm

H1

The Clydebank childrens hospital was located in a large mansion house in Cochno Street Clydebank ajacent to Whitecrook primary school

I would think that the Clydebank library will have more details regarding it's history

Regards

Iain
iainter
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Maitland » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:16 pm

ibtg and Iainter

I am extremely grateful for your help. This information is of a great help to me.

Once again, Thank You very much.

Maitland
Maitland
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Maitland » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:00 pm

The Childrens Hospital was Overtoun House, it was turned into a Maternity Hospital at the end of the 1940's.

I have now sent off a photograph and short history of the Hospital to the friend of mine that was looking for the information, I am sure they will be over the moon.

Once again, thank you to you both for taking the time to help me out on this one.

Best Wishes

Maitland
Maitland
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Strange that it has Overtoun House listed as Clydebank as its a good bit away from there in Milton.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Maitland » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:50 pm

My Kitten Wrote:
Strange that it has Overtoun House listed as Clydebank as its a good bit away from there in Milton.

Any searches that I have made regarding Overtoun House come back with mention of Clydebank. I am reasonably confident that Clydebank Childrens Hospital is ident with Overtoun House.

Regards

Maitland
Maitland
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:13 pm

Maitland wrote:My Kitten Wrote:

Any searches that I have made regarding Overtoun House come back with mention of Clydebank. I am reasonably confident that Clydebank Childrens Hospital is ident with Overtoun House.

It could well be, Im just mentioning that its not in Clydebank, if anything it would have probably have been more likely to have been referred to with Dumbarton as the geographical placemark.

As you will see Overtoun House is located between Milton and Dumbarton in the opposite direction to Clydebank

>clicky<

(Overtoun House is above the Dumbarton lettering in the middle of the map)

Its a good place to visit, its usually open on Doors Open Day if you get the chance I'd recommend it, or indeed the grounds as they are easily reached from Garshake Road, Dumbarton.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Clydebank childrens hospital

Postby DVF » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 pm

iainter wrote:H1

The Clydebank childrens hospital was located in a large mansion house in Cochno Street Clydebank ajacent to Whitecrook primary school

I would think that the Clydebank library will have more details regarding it's history

Regards

Iain

Any more info?

I stay just along the road from there, the only house big enough for that sort of thing, that I can think of just now, would be where the childrens home on Cochno Street is now.

Is the hospital building still there?

Oh, and hello!
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bonhill » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:54 am

Hi All,
There was a maternity hospital in Hardgate(overlooking the golf course).
The lodge house is still their but the hospital has been knocked down and a housing estate put in it's place.
My brother and sister were born their in the late sixties.
I do not know when it opened and not sure when it closed.
Being in Clydebank it would have been the Greater Glasgow Health Board who ran it.
Regarding Overtoun House this would make an interesting thread itself.
bonhill
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Maitland » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:50 am

:oops:

I have now found out that Overtoun House had nothing to do with this friend of mine. I was convinced that Clydebank Childrens Hospital was mentioned to me (I even wrote it down), Oh it must be since I turned 40 :roll:

The Hospital in question was good old Rotten Row and I know where that is or was as the case may be.

For those that posted on this subject I am very sorry for wasting your time.

Kind Regards

Maitland
Last edited by Maitland on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maitland
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DVF » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:41 pm

It's never really a waste of time. Even if it was totally wrong :!: ::): ::):

I went down the library today and found out all sorts of intresting stuff about the area around my house, that otherwise would never have bothered to find out.

The stuff I found out relating to this though:

Cochno Street. Nurses home built in 1914, later became a clinic and eye clinic. Eventually, and still is, a childrens home.

Overtoun House. Dumbarton Library has a large folder on just this place. It was a maternity hospital as stated and before that a childrens home.

Also there was Mountblow house, from 1922 was a childrens home that treated children under 5 for Rickets, malnutrition and debility.

Seems that childrens homes back then were hospital type places too. So Overtoun House could well have been a place for treating kids for bad stuff.

Hi Bonhill. That maternity hospital in Hardgate, would that be called Fairways View now? Always wondered what that was before, had it for a school of some kind going by the perimiter wall.
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bonhill » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:00 am

DVF,
Fairways Veiw is the site of the old hospital
bonhill
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby bonhill » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:07 am

The maternity hospital was called Duntocher Hospital opened in 1914 as infectious disease unit and closed 1991
bonhill
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:19 pm

Mistaken or not, having moved to Clydebank around a year ago it's great to learn some history. I've been getting into the blitz and stuff as well.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)