Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Peekay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:10 pm

Here's the Brittanic in '98

Still very much ship-shape. It's taken from here http://website.lineone.net/~gffoulkesjones/starfishenterprise/index.htm

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Amazing how it's survived so well, I wonder if it's something to do with the calmer sea conditions of the Med, or perhaps even a difference in the actual chemical compostion of the sea around there, which is kinder to steel.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:53 pm

There's video of them both on this site.
http://www.shipwreckfilms.co.uk/page43.html

You need to click on the wee camera next to where it says "Diving the Lusitania" on the Lucy page. She still looks more intact than that painting though. I'm quite keen to get to the Andrea Doria. One day when finances allow it. :(

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Interesting stuff :) I wouldn't mind seeing it inside a wee sub, but I haven't the balls for scuba diving.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beavis64 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:37 pm

I would go to the tollbooth at Glasgow Cross, that would be an interesting place to visit in the old days I bet.
Beavis64
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Maybe to 1978 when people thought Scotland would win the World Cup or to Renfrew to witness the battle where Somerled died. 1978 was a busy year! Or to the sixties to witness the Glasgow encapsulated in the film 'Ratcatcher' - a period when Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC were probably running wild up and down closes.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:Or to the sixties to witness the Glasgow encapsulated in the film 'Ratcatcher'

Where is the Urban Paradise they gambol through the fields to at the end of that film, btw? For some reason I always think of Penilee when I see that scene.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I reckon it is Balmore Road. The bus the boy goes on says Balmore Road and the countryside suddenly appears in that end of town before you get to the Tickled Trout pub, Dobbies Garden Centre etc.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Re:

Postby Bridie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:07 am

Josef wrote:
Field Marshall Shug wrote:Or to the sixties to witness the Glasgow encapsulated in the film 'Ratcatcher'

Where is the Urban Paradise they gambol through the fields to at the end of that film, btw? For some reason I always think of Penilee when I see that scene.

If it is factual the bus said Balmore Road so I suppose it must be out past the cemetery ( my granny was born in Blackhill miners row) but I don't think they grow corn out there :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Postby Bridie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:13 am

With aspirations of grandeur I would go back to the late 1800's/early 1900 and live in a big house up in Park Circus with servants bells, money, shopping and boredom - the Paris Hilton of the day :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 am

I'd go back to the Empire Exhibition of 1938.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:42 pm

l would love to back to the early 1980's, the week before my mother moved to her cottage in Girvan and l forgot to go up in to the loft and get the hundreds of negatives of the photos l had taken along the Broomielaw and various streets in Glasgow in the 1970's. That will never happen again as l back up every photo l have taken from 2004 and also upload them to flickr; curently around 13,000 images of Glasgow and Glasgow related items. I have everything from street photos to over 500 items from Tennent's, over 800 letterheads, Badges, Tokens, Medals, exhibition and festival items and an assortment of old Glasgow memorabilia. I add more items every week, so for those who have not viewed my photos on flickr now is the time, happy viewing.

click on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/sets/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby emt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 am

Is the building still there?? Could you maybe go and ask if they are still up in the loft?? Stranger things have happened ye know!! :roll:
emt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 am

The house is still there. A few families have lived there since my mum left so it's a pretty good bet the loft will have been cleared by at least one of the families.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: First post

Postby mrsam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 pm

mrsam wrote:Hello first post so here goes

Given the chance I would go back to in the 1950,s to get a sense of the old subway :D , the slum housing and the postwar but still intact steam powered rail network 8)

Sam

Aww my first post :cry:

Anyhow :roll: several years down the line and wiser for it. I'd love to follow a trade around for a day, such as a Postie or Milkman but it would be great to get a 'day' from lots of different decades so as to compare life in past times. The key is to 'latch onto' and follow a local around rather than just wandering and gawping. *Thinks* perhaps accompanying a bus driver.....

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)