Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fireman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:20 pm

I would love to be at a political rally where James Maxton is the principal speaker.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rebelsoulboy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:48 pm

id like to go to the rally with you theres plenty of days id like to go to
the battle of langside
bonnie prince charlie coming
red clydeside,,hear john mclean..then get rich fast an make a movie about the man
the days of the highlanders coming
the irish coming.. visit what was called district 14 ,,
but most of all i would have liked to have seen its old buildings..
saying that other day i wandered along to where my old flat would have been sadly stirling rd looked bare with a bus shelter ..
rebelsoulboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Postby Timchilli » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:52 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:If they invented a time machine, what part of Glasgow's history would you go visit?

Easy.

Scotstoun Showgrounds, May 1991. I scored an incredible own goal during a primary schools football tournament. Bicycle kick from about 30 yards out. Hit the inside of the side net. Classic.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby eltor2ga » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:54 pm

crusty_bint wrote:or just get to grips with basic html tags as per the FAQ thread in the Forum Issues sub section

Thanks for the tip Crusty but as an IT thicko, it may be some time before this happens :oops:
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:07 pm

I'd simply start cycling from bowling up onto the Gt. Western Road and head all the way to St. Georges X. Then, through town to Glasgow Cross and up on to London Road.

Seeing that cross-section of the city would be amazing.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:12 am

Gazzathecoigne wrote:Time machine eh?

Love to go to an Old Firm match at the old Ibrox in the 60's. Apart from that, I think I'd just like a day to see as much as I could, St.Enoch's Hotel, old underground, walk under the Clyde etc...

Hampden was far better. I would love to go back to the Scotland v England matches of the early 1960s.

I would like to walk around the Glasgow of the 1960s ... walk up the Gt. Western Rd and then New City Road to Cowcaddens. Then back along Sauchiehall St popping into Dalys and Coplands (for a go on the rocking horse) and then down to Charing x.

I would also go back and forward on the Govan Ferry a few times.

Not to mention the shops ... Clyde Model Dockyard and Lewis's to buy some jam doughnuts.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:13 pm

I'd go back in time to when the subway was created and try to persuade them to expand it
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Alan L » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm

Probably the late 70's/early 80's for me bizarrely. When looking at the various old photos on here, those are the ones that have grabbed my attention the most.

I was born in 1980 and only really remember Glasgow from the mid 80's onwards. I'd like to see what it was like not long before I was around.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

First post

Postby mrsam » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello first post so here goes

Given the chance I would go back to in the 1950,s to get a sense of the old subway :D , the slum housing and the postwar but still intact steam powered rail network 8)

Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Postby Peekay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:If they invented a time machine, what part of Glasgow's history would you go visit?

I would love to travel back, when shipbuilding was at it's peak, I would particularly like to go back and see this ship being launched!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lusitania

I would do anything to walk around that ship....anything, well I suppose I could always go for a dive in the wreck!

It's not all that easy to do! Lots of legal "wrangling"

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=3944&section=&action=display&show=lusitania

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:45 pm

If you haven't already got it Andy, look out for a book called "Lost Liners", it features a lot of Ken Marschall's stunning paintings.

The first painting really deserves to be seen close-up, it's truely photographic quality. Far better than this scan suggests.
Of course most of the paintings are of the Lusitania in better shape than this.

Scans from MaritimeQuest.com website.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Whats that second picture? It's not "Lucy" (she's still intact. give or take a torpedo hole) unless an artists guess of what she may or may not look like. Why a submarine would be there escapes me too unless for scale.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:09 pm

I'm sorry to say it is :-(
Robert Ballard visited the site in 1993, using the mini-sub "Delta", and describes the wreck site as a "battlefield", the ship is smashed & flatened. Ken Marschall who always works closely with Ballard, based his paintings on the photographs, & sonar images, taken at the time.

The ship landed at an angle on it's starboard side, over the years the decks have collapsed, and the side caved in.
There have also been various operations over the site including salvaging the propelers, and two anchors, and reports of blasting by the navy. There are even several unexploded depth charges lying around left over from excercises.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:21 pm

I was thinking of the Brittanic. My fault. I've got too many wrecks floating about in my head for my own good. They all merge into one big bit of rusty metal after a while.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 pm

Ken Marschall's paintings of them on the seabed actually look very similar. The bows of both ships buried themselves into the seabed causing the hull to twist as it settled, I believe it's called the "stubbed toe effect" by salvagers, or something similar.

Off topic a wee bit (sorry) but on the subject of Clyde built liners, i've got a soft spot for the Lusitania's "bigger cousin" as it were :-), the Aquitania. Always liked this ship more than the famous Queens.

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)