Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby tobester » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Back to the 60s to see all the old buildings and transport, and to spend a day on the underground, then into the 70s before the underground shut.

Id sneak my digital camera with me so i could get lots of photos for the site.

Also love to go to 1967 the year my mum and dad moved into their house, they were the first up the block for a few weeks, mustve been weird living in a block of 102 houses and being the only ones there
Last edited by tobester on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 pm

Another moment in Glasgow history I would liked to have been at....was around the streets of the city centre when Laurel and Hardy visited in 1932!
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Maitland » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:46 pm

Oh I think it would have to be the 1780's through to the 1850's in the Parkhead area to see just how bad the conditions would have been for my family.

I try to imagine what it would have been like but until you experience that sort of deprivation I don't think you really understand and I don't think the first 6 years of my life in a Tenement in Rutherglen counts.

Maitland
Maitland
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gordon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:42 pm

For some reason, probably the late 70's or early 80s for some reason. Mainly to see all the things that i maybe just about remember when i was a tot, but to actually experience them first hand!

That, and to wow the world with my iPod.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:56 pm

1982 - the year I first came to Glasgow. I kick myself now that I didn't get out around the city and experience things that are now long gone, but were then still within reach, coz I was too busy drinking and behaving badly and doing all the other things that students from the Highlands do when they come to the Big City for the first time.......
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 pm

It would have to be about the 1920s just to met Manny Shinwell . And let him know what a bunch of spineless ass kissing pussy's now run this country. :x
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:30 am

I'd go back to the 6th Century to see Mungo eastablish his church, the Moot Hill of Govan in use and cast my eyes over the wooded drumlins and babbling burns of Glasgow :) Then I'd take a wee trip to Dumbarton rock to see the citadel of the Kings of Strathclyde... before the vikings moved in.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby ninatoo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:05 am

Well, it wasn't part of Glasgow back then (I think) but close enough...I would go back to exactly 23rd September 1870 to 60 Merkland Street Partick and wait there all day and night until my great great grandfather and his bride showed up to get married. Then I would browbeat them both until they told me the truth about their parents! :evil: SHE certainly lied on the marriage registration, and I think he did too....

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:55 am

After a very thorough and costly search for their parents, and some additional documentation where the wife gives two different names for her parents again, it would seem she wanted her tracks thoroughly covered. The groom seems to have done the same thing, but it is harder to prove as he is English and I have yet to fork out for 'possible' certificates, as it is about ten pounds a try. NOT that I have anyone remotely possible anyway! The pair of them are a mystery! So I would dearly love to go back and get the truth!

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:54 pm

Anytime really

I love them pictures of folk looking into the camera.

anyhoo this image from the VM -

http://tinyurl.com/mls8k

just to ask him his name where he stays and where was he going...

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby pwm437 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:47 pm

I would go back to 1857 to Blythswood Square, and try to find out did Madeleine Smith really put arsenic in L'Angelier's hot chocolate ??

Don't know how I would manage it. Maybe try a taste and see what happens. Then again maybe not
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mmd » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:35 pm

If you were going to go back your chosen past for any length of time, what would you do for money? Even if you stayed this side of '71 the coins and notes of today are very different so would be no good. I would want the money in my pocket to magically transform into the currency of the day and that would allow you to go back to the pre-'71 days of lsd as well. Mind you, you'd have to take plenty with you cos you wouldn't be able to open a bank account - and there'd be no cash machine either.

Oh, and the answer to the question is Rutherglen, early 1970s to witness again the things I can't remember
mmd
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:15 pm

All those people wanting to go back to the 1950's and 1960's and here I am old enough to remember both those decades...........

I'd like to go back to the 1830's before industrialisation took hold and go for a walk on a warm summer's day along the south bank of the river from Glasgow to the village of Govan, past the orchards and market gardens and country estates with their fine mansion houses.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Back to 1872 to see the first horse trams take to the streets, and then forward visiting each decade up to the 1970's.

As for currency, probably gold is best, it can be sold to raise cash in almost any time frame.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mirad0rable » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi all,

I'd love to go back to 1845 and be the first student through the doors of the Mackintosh Glasgow School of Art.
mirad0rable
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)