Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow's Past.....Where would you go?

Postby Knightmare » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 pm

I would go back to when there was nothing but green grass and trees and to look at the landscape as it was before the first people settled. I think it would be amazing to look at the various recognisable landscapes and compare them to how they are today.....call it "Past and Present BC"

Perhaps sit on a rock (if there was one) roughly where James Nisbet Street is and look south toward the clyde.
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga Lawyer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:29 pm

For me, it would be Govan ,just before WW2 in Govan.
I would like to have seen Govan at that time, with all the ship building activity,
and to see where my Dad grew up.
There's not a lot left of Govan now, but it still holds a special place in not just my heart,
but other too,especially my relatives , which are very many, in Australia.
My Mum grew up in Partick, so a trip over on the "Govan Ferry" to there, would be on the cards too.
I did do that regularly though, when I was just a "wee boy".
Keep asking the questions
And question the answers
Glesga Lawyer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:19 pm

For me it would be working along with Charels Rennie Mackintosh as a trainee and seeing how he thought out and designed the many magnificent buildings and designs in and around Glasgow, especialy the Glsgow School of Art,

I'd also like to be at the conception and building of the Empire Exhibition at Bellhouston park i think that would an experience on its own that one could never forget.

I watched the Glasgow Garden Festival being built and it was so wonderful to see this area of Govan being transformed, i'd go back there again too.

So much history where i'd like to be ,it would be great to be there, I'm away to charge the batteries of my Delorean. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Glasgow Fair 1958
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Now Peter, there's a tale there!
Three words. You HAVE to develop!!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:23 am

Mori wrote:For me it would be working along with Charels Rennie Mackintosh as a trainee and seeing how he thought out and designed the many magnificent buildings and designs in and around Glasgow, especialy the Glsgow School of Art,

I'm with you on that one Mori !
There's a story about a house in the North of Glasgow that used to belong to the rich owner of a printers or a factory(?) He was acquainted with the young Mackintosh and invited him out when he bought the house, anyway they started getting stuck into the absinthe or whatever they drank then and the canny factory owner said to Mac ;
"What would you do with this house?"
Result being a house which is very MackIntosh in design done for peanuts!

So I would go back in time as well and chat up the young Mac and live in the equivalent of Hillhouse!
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Without a doubt - to the years that were probably the zenith of Glasgow's industrial power - i.e. 1900 -1918.

A spider's web of railway lines, branches, spurs, marshalling yards, massive workshops and beautiful glass domed termini of which two of the latter are thankfully still with us.
Ditto another web of tram lines carrying tens of thousands of workers, shoppers and school children from east to west, north to south and a myriad of routes mixing all directions.
Twenty six miles of docks, wharfs and basins loading and unloading ships from almost every corner of the globe on a river busy with so much shipping on a high tide [sometimes Glaswegians forget their river is tidal] it resembled today's Suez Canal [in fact the Clyde was technically a 'navigation'] and never forgetting the yairds that built ships for the empire and the world.
Hundreds of noisy engineering works producing almost everything the world needed.
The list goes on.

Only a wish of course because the poverty and deprivation of the lowly would probably have made me want to vomit.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby WTF » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 pm

peter wrote:Glasgow Fair 1958

Bit specific ,care to elaborate ?
WTF
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:31 am

I'd go back to 'Balshagray Farm'. I was tracing my ancestors and my great great great grandad had a farm there and employed people, owned livestock and buildings. The place was in Partick and I believe was all farmland. Pity non of that 'wealth' reached its way to my gran, :).

Anyonw know anything about Balshagray Farm?
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:08 pm

oldphilosophy wrote:Anyone know anything about Balshagray Farm?

A quick Google search unearthed some info on Balshagray Farm - near the bottom of the page and reproduced here.

Balshagray Farm

In the web-page http://www.wsmclean.com/bygones photograph No. 7 shows Balshagray Farm with some associated notes. This was High Balshagray Farm which operated many of the fields south of what is now the railway line. As more and more houses were built on the farmlands, the farmhouse was finally demolished in 1928. Until St Thomas Aquinas School was built in the 1950’s, that site was the only field left undeveloped and untended except for a few years during the Second World War when it was cultivated again as part of the War Effort.

There was also a Low Balshagray Farm located just east of what is now the Fossil Grove but most of its lands were taken over for the development of the Victoria Park.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 pm

a walk around grahamston before it disapeared!!
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:28 pm

yoker brian wrote:
oldphilosophy wrote:Anyone know anything about Balshagray Farm?

A quick Google search unearthed some info on Balshagray Farm - near the bottom of the page and reproduced here.

Balshagray Farm

In the web-page http://www.wsmclean.com/bygones photograph No. 7 shows Balshagray Farm with some associated notes. This was High Balshagray Farm which operated many of the fields south of what is now the railway line. As more and more houses were built on the farmlands, the farmhouse was finally demolished in 1928. Until St Thomas Aquinas School was built in the 1950’s, that site was the only field left undeveloped and untended except for a few years during the Second World War when it was cultivated again as part of the War Effort.

There was also a Low Balshagray Farm located just east of what is now the Fossil Grove but most of its lands were taken over for the development of the Victoria Park.

Thankyou, I'll have a scoot about google and see if I can come up with anything else. Its fantastic that you sent the picture of the farm, now I know where my ancesters lived.
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)