Glasgow Exhibition 1911 question

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Exhibition 1911 question

Postby Simba » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Couldn't get the search function to work properly and have tried to have a wee look. No doubt I won't have looked hard enough.

Found this postcard on ebay.

Where abouts was this 'mountain railway'? I can't really think where it would be, cos was the exhibition not based in Kelvingrove? As I said had a look for a thread on it and couldn't find it. Thought it was an interesting postcard all the same.
Last edited by Simba on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:07 am

Simba, you may be thinking of the Glasgow International Exhibition which was held in Kelvingrove Park in 1901.

There was a Scottish National Exhibition [as per the caption on the postcard], but this was in 1908 not 1911 and it was in Edinburgh [Saughton Park], not Glasgow.

There was an exhibition in Glasgow in 1911 - this was the Scotttish Exhibition of National History, Art & Industry, held at Kelvingrove. This seems to have been a more 'cultural' affair so I doubt whether there would have been such a thing as a miniature mountain railway.

Seems a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable about the history of Glasgow's exhibitions can shed some light on this.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:59 pm

It's from the Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry (as read on the bottom of the postcard) which was held at Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow from May 3 until November 4, 1911 attracting 9.4m visitors. The highland rollercoaster is top right-ish,

Amazing what you can find on google with a quick search.

map
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Simba » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:31 pm

crusty_bint wrote:It's from the Scottish Exhibition of National History, Art and Industry (as read on the bottom of the postcard) which was held at Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow from May 3 until November 4, 1911 attracting 9.4m visitors. The highland rollercoaster is top right-ish,

Amazing what you can find on google with a quick search.

map

Would make HG redundant then, wouldn't it?

I did actually have a wee look on Google but didn't find anything in relation to the railway, more about where it was held.

Thanks for your post though viceroy. :)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:55 pm

I didn't actually realise that the 1911 Exhibition was so extensive. Yet it never seems to get nearly as much attention as the 1901 Exhibition or, for that matter, the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park, even allowing for the fact that its themes were national rather than international.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:10 am

If you wander through the path that runs through the bit where the Highland Village was, you can see a wee stones circle set up to commemorate the 1911 exhibition...

See the bottom of this page for info
http://www.kelvingrovepark.com/features.html
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:02 pm

That's fascinating Nodrog. I don't know how often I've walked past those stones and yet I've never taken much notice of them. Will definitely take a closer look next time.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Exhibition 1911 question

Postby conn75 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 pm

I have just recently bought a page from the Illustrated London News from September 1888 which has a story on the then Queen visiting the first Glasgow International Exhibition. I didn't realise there was more than one until I searched and found this thread.

I really must scan it some time.
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

conn75 wrote:I have just recently bought a page from the Illustrated London News from September 1888 which has a story on the then Queen visiting the first Glasgow International Exhibition. I didn't realise there was more than one until I searched and found this thread.

I really must scan it some time.

Go on, do it, scanners just over there..... :wink:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Oh, it's bedtime...maybe tomorrow.

There are a bunch more (badly scanned) here for now, though.
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)