Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Vladimir » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:01 pm

One of my faves George Square when the weathers good,
especially at lunchtime.

Is this a source of embarrassment?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:05 pm

Perhaps a little embarrassed to admit 'talent spotting' in George Sq during his lunch hour
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:29 pm

AlanM wrote:Perhaps a little embarrassed to admit 'talent spotting' in George Sq during his lunch hour

Or as it's better known,
"Pervin' it" 8O
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:30 pm

I thought the :oops: was being used to indicate the sunburnt colour of most the folks in george square ona sunny day
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:45 pm

I only go there for the flora and fauna,
honest guv. :wink:
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:07 pm

AlanM wrote:Perhaps a little embarrassed to admit 'talent spotting' in George Sq during his lunch hour

I must admit I have enjoyed my brief sojourn into the city centre, some nicely kitted out bods around.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:30 pm

"So you don't like my take on my home town; I'm not going to apologise for speaking my mind on the subject.

I've lived in the rural highlands and have spent a hell of a lot of time walking there too.

I love it! You want some negative citique??? Okay, the Co-op shouldn't be allowed to have a virtual monopoly; the level &cost of public transport is a scandal and surely lowers the quality of life for many; the Highland Clearances are being being quietly continued through the lack of affordable social housing ans sutainable emploment; And lest we forget the midgies"

Now you're talking sense, but I still think you should have a bit more pride in your home town. I'm sure if you give it a bit of thought you could find something you don't despise.
I completely agree that the public transport in the west highlands is very poor and the choice of shopping is also lacking. The price of housing is diabolical. We are in the process of selling and trying to buy something else nearer to our work so we don't have to run two cars. Which is something else which is extortionate in this area. Unleaded fuel is 100.9p per gallon in our nearest garage. It is slightly more affordable in the nearest big town (Inverness) and there is a greater range of shopping there too but that is over an hour's drive away. At least we don't have to pay to use the Skye Bridge any more.
We are perhaps the opposite of clearances as we moved here for work. The youngsters in the area no longer have to move to Glasgow/Edinburgh/Aberdeen etc for higher education as there is now the Univeristy of the Highlands and Islands, but some of them still prefer to move to the larger cities. And who can blame them? It is a good thing to have a look about and learn something of the rest of the country.
The Co-op seem to be the only ones willing to build supermarkets in the area. I would be delighted if Asda or Morrisons or Tesco got a foothold but it appears unlikely.
As for the midges, well they keep the local bird population sustained throughout the summer so they're not all bad.
So, barrackroomlawyer, tell us about what you do like about our home town. There's surely something which makes you proud to be Glaswegian?
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Linda » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Oh no! :( Has Glasgow changed so much? I loved growing up there despite run down areas and places to avoid at night. I used to get the last bus home from St Enoch's passing the Victoria Infirmary along with a variety of folk heading there for stitches and tetanus shots!! Not once was any of them obnoxious.

I love Glasgow Cathedral, Central Station, George Square(Do they still have Christmas lights there?) Hillhead, Burnside, Cathkin Braes, Rutherglen,University,Sauchiehall St, Argyle St, Folk at bus stops, the patter, fish 'n'chips, the Barras, busses,how close it is to Loch Lomond etc etc I could go on.

Here in Canada we had a show where a Canadian student sampled the delights of Glasgow (and other parts of Scotland) and he clearly had a fantastic and fairly safe visit. He seemed to be drinking quite a lot though!

I know it is tempting to romanticise when I don't live there anymore but here in Toronto we have our smelly underpasses, drive -by shootings and
social concerns.I don't know if it compares but I am coming home for a visit in the summer and can't wait!

Anyway,looking forward to reading more! :D
Linda
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Linda

Glad to hear your comments. Glasgow has its faults but we should all make more of the positive side of Glasgow. I am not saying we don't need to talk about these issues but we do need some perspective sometimes.

I have held back in posting a comment on this topic as I have mostly enjoyed reading other people's comments however bad.

Recently I attended a meeting were we discussed a proposed Master Plan for the City Centre. It is hoped that this plan will encourage investors, developers and stores to locate in the City Centre. The Council doesn't own all the shops but we could do more to attract the type of shop that will trade and survive in places like Union Street. The Master Plan is a very small part of ensuring we address some of the comments made here. Hopefully we can address the issues discussed on this topic

I, like others, do appreciate the more rational opinions that have been expressed. Those who go for over kill will hopefully be ignored as they do not add to the debate that we need to have to ensure that our aspiration for Glasgow is achieved.

[/b]
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:25 am

I lived in Drumchapel (yes...big bad Drumchapel...."big bad mad alky loony/nutter/mental case/hardmen/chibmen") scheme for 30 years and never saw worse than 1 drunken fight. Never been nicked in my life, neighbours never been nicked, save for a few gits nearby with their records up too loud the odd time. I lived through Orange Walks passing regularly without any incident, even had a catholic fella near me bragging about how better he was at throwing the "stick" (which HE made) better than the Drum Major of our local fb.

I know there has been violent crime as well...but you'll find that in ANY city of almost 1 million people. I despair sometimes at folks attitudes on here about Glasgow....i don't think they have experienced enough or have the "problems" in proportion.
There are idiots who spoil peoples nights out etc and who act unsociably, but they do not speak for all of us. Don't ever base your experiences of Glasgow on a few nights out in the city centre.....take it from someone who has lived in the scheme(s) for 30 years and who has seen first hand what does/doesn't go on. It's only fair!

I've done a few jobs in my time in Glasgow in most areas (north, south, east and west) and i find that most people regardless of class/standing will be civil and accomodating. You'll find that there are a handful of bad families in each scheme who will ruin the reputation of those areas for 1000's of others.

I would say that most folk in Glasgow are excellent friendly people....and that a minority of them are wankers/nuisance etc.

Let us flourish! :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:07 am

Despite my moans & groans (not meant to be a pun on my avatar 8) ), I wouldn't live in any other big city, but the ned activity is the main thing that pisses me off, it's almost become fashionable now ?

Whereabouts in the Drum did you live Clincher ?
I lived almost my whole childhood & teens, "up the hill" in the Drum from 1973, until 1991, I was very glad to leave. I saw a lot of fights, full scale drug raids in the close next door, and there were at least 5 murders within the nearby streets (probably more i've forgotten). I remember having to close my window at 1am, because it was too noisy outside to sleep.
The whole place was progressively trashed, the various improvements over the years were smashed, gratified, and burnt.

Good points, not many, but we were lucky enough to live in a close with decent neighbours, and miles of countryside started literally at the top of my road, but on the whole they weren't happy years.

I went back last year to have a look (the photos are on here somewhere) and it's almost all gone, or earmarked for demolition.
I wonder what the owner of Cleddens Farm is thinking. They lived for 40 years with a mass housing estate 100 yards from the farm, but now the population has been slashed, and most of the buildings levelled. It must be a wee bit more peaceful for him :)

I know similar things happen in just about every big city, but I suppose we hope that 'home' will be different.
Perhaps it's time to set aside a scheme for only the slag families (those with a long list of complaints, long criminal records, antisocial history, etc). Certain people are simply rotten to the core.
That's not controversial is it ? :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:12 am

Valid points, Ken...but your avatar is still too funny ::):
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:38 pm

From my own experience, it's actually the backwaters
on the outskirts of major cities that are far worse.
Largely due to a higher concentration of social problems
centralized in a small area.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:56 am

I've been riding all over the city, on a lot of buses, this past last week, and I must admit a lot of the run down areas I remember seem to be getting better.

There are still shitty bits of course, but they do tend to be getting smaller & smaller, as newly built housing progresses.
Although the problem of graffiti, & litter thrown about is still there. Can't people use bins, or take their sweetie wrappers home :roll:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:20 pm

Something i've noticed, the only areas of Glasgow I feel really uneasy in, are Parkhead, & Ibrox.
Don't know if it's the football, but they have an uneasy "vibe" somehow, like all eyes are on you.
I've walked in more run down areas than these, but didn't feel strange at all.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)