Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:33 am

So what is the alternative to 'a deluge of modern buildings'?

lets all try and convert/re-use/get by as best we can then and shoehorn ourselves and our modern ways of living into buildings that are too small, in too poor a condition and frankly, having seen the state of many listed buildings that are still in daily use, dangerous to be around shall we?

of course the city is going to change - if it didnt it would be in a lot worse state than it is currently. i dont like crap modern buildings any more than you, but not all are crap, and just as importantly, not all old buildings are masterpieces!

can you imagine the victorians etc worrying and moaning and trying to squeeze themselves into small mudbrick houses from days gone by because they dont have the confidence, or were browbeaten by the conservationists into only accepting things from the past as any good?

try and accept that a city will change, and that not everything is great simply because its 'old'
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

your most loved and most hated areas of Glasgow

Postby mairead » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Of course I know that change is inevitable, I was just making a point about how the changes have altered the city so much. Some of the moden buildings look horrendous and somewhat out of place with the surrounding areas while others fit in well
In saying that, many red sandstone tenements were cleaned up and modernised and converted into lovely flats in some areas.
I did not suggest for a minute that people should 'shoehorn' themselves into cramped conditions, but was merely commenting on how the city has changed
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm

My favourite part is the Mitchell Library restaurant and my least favourite is Saracen Cross. The restaurant is a place of solace and Saracen Cross is a place where people are caught up in a 'hard-as-nails' mentality. A few cafes and bookshops and everything will be groovy.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:46 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:My favourite part is the Mitchell Library restaurant and my least favourite is Saracen Cross. The restaurant is a place of solace and Saracen Cross is a place where people are caught up in a 'hard-as-nails' mentality. A few cafes and bookshops and everything will be groovy.

I would agree that places with bookshops and cafes are groovy. The hard part is building up a local clientele sufficient to support them.

Reminiscence alert : I was only at Saracen Cross the once, about twenty years ago. The locals were throwing sharpened two pence pieces at passers-by. I was sort of impressed by the effort they put in to their malevolence.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm

The new Mitchell cafe will be opening soon.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:20 am

My worst part is G12, West End in general, but I save a particular loathing for G12. It's about 40 miles too far East. The people should be in Edinburgh really. Even Jimmy Carr reckons so.

Why do they feel superior enough to have their own little festival? Most other cities name their festival after the city, Rio and Edinburgh being the obvious ones, but Westenders heads are so far up their own arses they feel they deserve one of their own.

Pub conversations revolve round kidding on that they "care" for the environment (as it's fashionable), then two minutes later they are telling everyone in the bar where they're jetting off to next week for the 3rd holiday/overseas break of that year. Mmmm something doesn't quite compute.

The plastic "culture". They kid on they are culturally aware. Yep! Fair enough! Aware of every other places culture except Glasgows. Sheer fakeness. They're just trying to look for something that the area doesn't have and never will have due to it's itinirant population.

Rant over!

Favourite part is the bottom of the Clyde. It's my playground. Thank-you God/Allah/Buddha/Shiva (Delete as appropriate to your leanings) for putting me next to a River that has had so much shipping on it for centuries. Lots of ships = Lots of shipwrecks.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:44 pm

Josef wrote:

"Reminiscence alert : I was only at Saracen Cross the once, about twenty years ago. The locals were throwing sharpened two pence pieces at passers-by. I was sort of impressed by the effort they put in to their malevolence."

Two pence pieces. How cheap is that! I want to live somewhere where they use pound coins.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:21 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:Two pence pieces. How cheap is that! I want to live somewhere where they use pound coins.

You're forgetting that at that time you could get a new suit, a stone of monkey nuts and a taxi home for a jam jar :wink: .
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Postby jmmullarkey1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:58 pm

I would probably have to say that my favourite place in Glasgow is Victoria Park in the summer. Glasgow Green may follow. I also love looking at the original architecture, therefore any area with old buildings can be a bit of a winner for me.

On the other hand, I hate both Govan and Parkhead Cross (allegiance withheld!). For some reason or another, I also have a dislike for Garnethill, generally because you can't walk more than fifty yards without some pish-stained git looking for 'any spare change'. Sod off!
jmmullarkey1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rabmania » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 am

jmmullarkey1 wrote: I also love looking at the original architecture, therefore any area with old buildings can be a bit of a winner for me.

Define 'original architecture' please JM.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:46 am

In Glasgow it would be surviving architecture.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:02 am

I always found the area where Glasgow Caledonian University is now to be really depressing.
Don't know why, other than I went to college there in the late 70's and it's been greatly redeveloped since than.

The Govanhill scheme, where I lived for a bit, bordered by the Alcan works on one side, was never great, and I went through it the other day, it still looks pretty bad.

I always liked the area round about the Victoria Infirmary, but the roads and pavements round there have detroriated greatly. Shawlands isn't much better.

I always loved Waterloo Bus Station and St Enoch's Train Station. Memories of trips away, I suppose.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 am

Favourite part - West End ::): Park area (wasn't the WE when I was there!!) Lambhill/Garnethill for the memories. Buchanan Street/Mitchell Street/Renfield Street area.
Least favourite - Anywhere over the Clyde -sorry it has always felt and still does "hemmed in" and like another city to me - I can hear sharp intakes of breath. :D Anywhere East of Buchanan Street well apart from the historical aspect of Trongate/High Street. Finnieston & Anderston - a bit grotty. Union St/Jamaica Street - for all the reasons mentioned previously. Sauchiehall Street for having the life sucked out of it.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm

My favourite part of the city is Woodlands Road, I love a wee wander down there. Lobey Dosser statue never fails to raise a grin.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 pm

love to view the city from the flagpole in queens park.hate walking through yoker as it is dog shit central.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)