Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Your most loved, & most hated, areas of Glasgow ?

Postby yoker brian » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:55 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Josef wrote:
scott125 wrote:One thing Glasgow City Centre lacks is a green space to sit or have lunch . George Square aint Green .

That's a point. For a 'Dear Green Place', in the city centre you've got what? Garnethill park? Three bits of Strathclyde Uni?

Even Blythswood Square is shut these days.

The Square is still very much open - the fences have been replaced, but you can still access it - bearing in mind the square is privately owned by the owners of the buildings around the square. What is missing is some proper seating.

I like the peace & tranquility of Rottenrow Gardens
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:42 pm

yoker brian wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
Josef wrote:
scott125 wrote:One thing Glasgow City Centre lacks is a green space to sit or have lunch . George Square aint Green .

That's a point. For a 'Dear Green Place', in the city centre you've got what? Garnethill park? Three bits of Strathclyde Uni?

The Square is still very much open - the fences have been replaced, but you can still access it - bearing in mind the square is privately owned by the owners of the buildings around the square. What is missing is some proper seating.

I like the peace & tranquility of Rottenrow Gardens

Nah, they've locked the gates. Notices say it's because of the Occupy movement's take-over a wee while back.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Nah, they've locked the gates. Notices say it's because of the Occupy movement's take-over a wee while back.

Yep.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Josef wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:Nah, they've locked the gates. Notices say it's because of the Occupy movement's take-over a wee while back.

Yep.

Sorry Egg Man / Josef - I'd forgotten all about the blockade of the square (blonde moment)
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Absolutely hate Possil. To be honest, I normally feel safe wherever I go in Glasgow, but that place had at atmosphere and druggies hanging about everywhere.

Tradeston is really depressing. Very scary place on a Sunday morning. Is there a homeless shelter down there?
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Absolutely hate Possil. To be honest, I normally feel safe wherever I go in Glasgow, but that place had at atmosphere and druggies hanging about everywhere.

Tradeston is really depressing. Very scary place on a Sunday morning. Is there a homeless shelter down there?

I had never been into Possil until recently. I've had to go to Stobhill for several appointments and got the number 3 bus back. A truly scary experience. Possil is, without a doubt, a total midden.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Absolutely hate Possil. To be honest, I normally feel safe wherever I go in Glasgow, but that place had at atmosphere and druggies hanging about everywhere.

Any particular times of day/night Baz? Must say, it feels a lot safer to me these days, but not too sure if it's familiarity (after 11 years working there) or it actually is less dangerous than it was then. The other thing is we don't work past 6pm nowadays either - having to go out on home visits at 7 or 8 at night in some parts was quite …… nerve-racking, at times!!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Hate mornings in Possil. Idiots "rattling" all over the place. It really is like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video, especially around the Canal area.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Hate mornings in Possil. Idiots "rattling" all over the place. It really is like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video, especially around the Canal area.

10 times worse outside Houlihans, I can assure you!! 8O
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby daisy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

When I was at school along at Alexandra parade and then Whitehill ,Duke atreet was always pretty busy with shoppers.There was some realy nice shops at one time...But although the Parade is still nice and has one or 2 nice shops ,Duke street is a mess .The last time I was there on a saturday afternoon the place was dead ,having a good look along I was thinking,no wonder,no one wants to shop there ,it's filthy looking even a lot of the shop signs are tacky looking and I have never seen so many hairdressers in one area ,shopkeepers used to wash and brush the pavement in front of their shop now days there is lots of rubbish left out which ends up all over the place.So although I love Dennistoun with its nice tenenments especially overlooking the park rouynd from Kenny hill square ,I feel Duke street could do with a major overhall .I would also think some streets would look a bit nicer if there was a council code on colour schemes to be used for shop doorways all different colours looks so cheap.
Daisy x
daisy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:51 pm

daisy wrote:When I was at school along at Alexandra parade and then Whitehill ,Duke atreet was always pretty busy with shoppers.There was some realy nice shops at one time...But although the Parade is still nice and has one or 2 nice shops ,Duke street is a mess .The last time I was there on a saturday afternoon the place was dead ,having a good look along I was thinking,no wonder,no one wants to shop there ,it's filthy looking even a lot of the shop signs are tacky looking and I have never seen so many hairdressers in one area ,shopkeepers used to wash and brush the pavement in front of their shop now days there is lots of rubbish left out which ends up all over the place.So although I love Dennistoun with its nice tenenments especially overlooking the park rouynd from Kenny hill square ,I feel Duke street could do with a major overhall .I would also think some streets would look a bit nicer if there was a council code on colour schemes to be used for shop doorways all different colours looks so cheap.

Do agree about Duke Street, when I was young(er), the Parade was always "posher". But just take a quick walk along the road and you reach the hellhole that this Haghill. Some smashing flats there, but the area is ruined by manky, skanky people with absolutely no respect for where they live. They do indeed live by the creedo, "shit where you eat" rather than not.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm

A wee while ago I spent a fair bit of time in the Hamiltonhill estate in Possil ( long before the current demolitions). I have been on every floor of every close in the area. No trouble, BUT there was a problem with needles ( not an unusual find for Glasgow, but the amount was ).
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:04 am

I passed it yesterday, on the bike, trying to get home from Bishopbriggs along the Canal. Absolute chaos. Must have spotted about 25 addicts all hiding in the bushes, doing God knows that, very near to Lambhill Stables. I nearly crashed into one when he jurted out the bushes on his mobile phone. Looked like they were having some sort of "drinks party".

Police must know what's going on around there. Yet they do nothing. Every time I pass there, loads of alchies, junkies, nutters.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:44 am

bAzTNM wrote:I passed it yesterday, on the bike, trying to get home from Bishopbriggs along the Canal. Absolute chaos. Must have spotted about 25 addicts all hiding in the bushes, doing God knows that, very near to Lambhill Stables. I nearly crashed into one when he jurted out the bushes on his mobile phone. Looked like they were having some sort of "drinks party".

Police must know what's going on around there. Yet they do nothing. Every time I pass there, loads of alchies, junkies, nutters.

I'd change your route :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:03 am

The Egg Man wrote:
Josef wrote:

Update. It seems to be open. I don't know if this is permanent.

Lots of people sunning themselves yesterday.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)