Glasgow department stores

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby calamity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:42 pm

I loved Lewiss not only the wonderful window displays, did you know their window dressers were sent to NY for training ,I used to dream of being one when I left school, my first impression of Lewiss s was the smell, there was always that kind of weird smell of the many cheeses it sold as you walked in then you got a waft of the bread freshly baked from the back of the floor.. then the very old escalator , brown with heavy metal strips, slow compared to todays. and the big enormous tills.. what were they all about.. and the lassies who worked there aw dressed the same.. I was at a night time Xmas event around 1987 when they had all the staff done up in fairytale costumes, and some footballers were signing photos for charity. who minds the horses in the weans barbers part of the shop.. think it was down in the basement.. oh I miss Lewis s nothing to compare, Goldbergs was my next favourite shop.... both brilliant at Xmas.. with lovely trees and lights.. waiting for Santi, what a treat..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:50 pm

calamity wrote:I loved Lewiss not only the wonderful window displays, did you know their window dressers were sent to NY for training ,I used to dream of being one when I left school, my first impression of Lewiss s was the smell, there was always that kind of weird smell of the many cheeses it sold as you walked in then you got a waft of the bread freshly baked from the back of the floor.. then the very old escalator , brown with heavy metal strips, slow compared to todays. and the big enormous tills.. what were they all about.. and the lassies who worked there aw dressed the same.. I was at a night time Xmas event around 1987 when they had all the staff done up in fairytale costumes, and some footballers were signing photos for charity. who minds the horses in the weans barbers part of the shop.. think it was down in the basement.. oh I miss Lewis s nothing to compare, Goldbergs was my next favourite shop.... both brilliant at Xmas.. with lovely trees and lights.. waiting for Santi, what a treat..


The loss of Lewis's was a real blow to Glasgow. You could literally get everything you needed under one roof.

I detest Frasers, from the layout, the naff snobbiness and the sullen unhelpful staff. Hideous experience even walking through the door.
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby hazy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:47 pm

Fat Cat wrote:I remember shopping in Wryggs (?sp) that was inside Goldbergs. My sister had a Style card :)

Is she still paying it off. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
User avatar
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: city dweller

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:10 am

hazy wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:I remember shopping in Wryggs (?sp) that was inside Goldbergs. My sister had a Style card :)

Is she still paying it off. 8O


At 33% interest, probably ::):
User avatar
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Bridie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:00 pm

What about the interest rate on the old provie ? I thought in my blurred childhood reminiscences that it was some kind of charity ::): ::): like seaside holidays in Dunoon courtesy of the Co-op 8O
Ps I take it there is a thread on the fun charity hols in Dunoon? 8O :|
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Bridie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I worked weekends in Arnotts (was it still called Simpson's as well then?) in Sauchiehall Street when I was at Uni and Sir Hugh Fraser (whoooooooooo) came down the escalators and waved over to me - the mere minion - on the lingerie counter 8)

when I say lingerie we're talking large beige girdles and large industrial cream bras
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby calamity » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Frasers wiz fur snobs, ah did go in it but wiz scared to ask for anything with the toffy nosed bints on the makeup counters, but I did used to sneak in to get a scoot of Chanel no 5 on my way to the dancing.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby calamity » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:08 pm

ma pet hate was the warehouses like Fishers, Gordons and Stirlings, they treated your like trash because it was pay up place ah mind it well. waiting big queues for shoes and then they would show you two pairs to choose from.. hated it.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Josef » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:20 pm

calamity wrote:Frasers wiz fur snobs, ah did go in it but wiz scared to ask for anything with the toffy nosed bints on the makeup counters


My, how things have changed.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Bridie wrote:What about the interest rate on the old provie ? I thought in my blurred childhood reminiscences that it was some kind of charity ::): ::): like seaside holidays in Dunoon courtesy of the Co-op 8O
Ps I take it there is a thread on the fun charity hols in Dunoon? 8O :|



On Glasgow Guide there is.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Fossil » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Bridie wrote:.................when I say lingerie we're talking large beige girdles and large industrial cream bras


Mention that the next time you see him. Hes always goes on about his back

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12311
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby floweredpig » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Frasers has aspirations towards a mini Harrods but falls down on the quality of service.Fayed keeps a good shop.Apart from the shrine.
User avatar
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Giffnock

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby moonbeam » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:13 pm

To have an account and shop in R.W. Forsyth at the corner of Gordon and Union Street - now that was class!
I used to go to their January sales. Great bargains. Lewis's January sale downstairs was like a super jumble sale.
But you could get bargains.We dont seem to have these anymore. I was one of the "nutters" who stood outside Forsyths at 7.00am - I was 6th in the queue- to buy a gents suit one late December about 40 years ago.I can
still feel the cold now!!I had a interview for a new job in January and needed a "posh" suit.Got a suit and the job so it worked!!! Carswells was another good shop for mens clothes in the January sales.I always found Rowans in Buchanan Street a tad too expensive but who recalls the gents coffee place in it. It was always full of "office" gent types supposidly working at goodness knows what.Then Frasers had a lunch place where models used to show off dresses to the "ladies who lunched". Had a girl friend at uni who used to do a couple of these lunch time fashion shows between classes at uni.She got some sort of discount which seemed to benefit most of the girls in her year at uni!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:39 pm

grace brothers anyone.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Autolycus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 pm

moonbeam wrote:To have an account and shop in R.W. Forsyth at the corner of Gordon and Union Street - now that was class!
....................


Gordon Street and Renfield Street surely.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 7:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests