Glasgow department stores

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:24 am

My day out would clasicly be a trip to the Lewis's barbers, then lunch on the top floor restaurant, the fish and chips were the best... then the record dept for new cassete tape for my tape player my mum bought me from there, then i would go to ground floor food area and buy some broken biscuits and coke or irn bru and some of their own make crisps or some the open sweet selection they had like dolly mixtures or Kola Kubes.

Then would head up to the odeon in renfield st to catch a movie. :D

Loved lewis's spent some of the best days of my life there, ive never ever been in there since it became Debenhams.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:46 am

Mori wrote: My day out would clasicly be a trip to the Lewis's barbers, then lunch on the top floor restaurant, the fish and chips were the best... then the record dept for new cassete tape for my tape player my mum bought me from there, then i would go to ground floor food area and buy some broken biscuits and coke or irn bru and some of their own make crisps or some the open sweet selection they had like dolly mixtures or Kola Kubes.

Then would head up to the odeon in renfield st to catch a movie. :D .

I thought the food hall was in the basement (or was that household and ironmongery?)

Mori wrote:Loved lewis's spent some of the best days of my life there, ive never ever been in there since it became Debenhams.

D'ye know there's a snake-oil concesion nowadays?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:12 pm

There was indeed a food hall in the basement ,Onyertodd but it was for the riff-raff. I confirm there was a restaurant on the top or upper floor and it was very good although costly.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:58 pm

The food hall was on the Ground floor as you came in
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Roxburgh » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:41 am

Fossil wrote:The food hall was on the Ground floor as you came in

Lewis's had the bestest jam doughnuts :mrgreen:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:49 am

Yes, the restaurant was on the top floor, the basement was hardware / gardening.
I'm sure this has been posted before but it's one of my favourites, Lewis's roof::
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lewis's department store

Postby maycut » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:01 pm

glasgowken wrote:Your version is better :wink: I think I scanned it out of a book or something, found it on the computer.

I worked there in the 60s. Fabulous place to be. I.m probably not telling you a thing you don't know. The food court was on the ground floor. The French Restaurant was on the fifth floor and the basement was hardware etc.

And that photo on top the roof, brought back memories. Except these girls are dressed no nicely(might have been in the 40s) I was assistant supervisor in the telephones.
o
I live in Canada now. But when I discovered this site. I loved it.

Maybe I'll find some of my old workmates???

Maycut
maycut
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:10 am

Where was this building? ... for some reason it reminds me around about Marks and Spencers in Argyle/Glassford St area.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:41 am

Mori wrote:Where was this building? ... for some reason it reminds me around about Marks and Spencers in Argyle/Glassford St area.

And that, indeed, is precisely where it is. Slightly blurry night photo :

You can just see that horrible wee Halifax bulding on the right of both photos.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

working in Lewis's

Postby stevedr » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Cazzie wrote:Memories! My first permanent job was with Lewis's in Argyle St in the early eighties - when the St Enoch Centre was still a car park. What a hotbed of activity and intrigue it was - certainly a book to be written in there! It wasn't too far removed from "Are you being served?". It was a great place to work ( certainly didn't think that at the time!) with a load of real characters. Worked in training for a while and had an office on the top (sixth) floor with fabulous views over the city. A real institution - and hard to believe it existed alongside Bremners, goldbergs, Arnot Simpsons and Frasers....

Hi I joined Lewis's in October 1980 and stayed seven years firstly...as a temp male display assistant....then worked in the Publicity Department..the original display departmant looked into Argyle Street but we moved across to the other side of the sixth floor shortly after I joined..you are right about activity and intrigue....many of the incidents I recall are largley unprintable even now!..but it would make one helluva book...relationships were formed all over the place especially around Christmas time and the staff dance held up in Tiffany's in Sauchiehall street each year.

My job meant i moved around the store all day..it really was an eye opener...it just didnt seem like work at all and I had a fantastic time..I can tell you there were many photos of Lewis interiors...I have seen them..including a classic 60s shot of David Fry the then personnel officer in the Menswear Dept with long hair and outrageous fashion...there were also photos of actual window displays and the grotto..dating back to the fifties...but where they ended up i am not sure...All the Guard Books we used to keep all the newspaper clippings in also had hundreds of pics but unless they were sent to the Liverppool store..my fear is they may well be gone forever now..a great shame if so..
I still have a hardback book about the History of Lewis's called Friends of the People by Asa Briggs but Glasgow is barely featured..Steve
stevedr
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dougie79 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Tried it before and someone took it off the thread saying that it might encourage people to climb inside the building. Dont understand it myself as there are loads of pics and descriptions on here that are far worse. Im still looking for my memory card with the pics Ill post them when I get it and see how long they last for. Failing that Ill post them on the "other" site.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:56 pm

dougie79 wrote:Tried it before and someone took it off the thread saying that it might encourage people to climb inside the building. Dont understand it myself as there are loads of pics and descriptions on here that are far worse. Im still looking for my memory card with the pics Ill post them when I get it and see how long they last for. Failing that Ill post them on the "other" site.

The point with posting photos like this is whether the building has been entered illegally, and in so posting the pictures Hidden Glasgow is seen as condoning illegal entry of buildings. Any website that hosts these pictures that were gained illegally can be taken to task for advertising illegal entry. If the photos were gained with the owners permission, indeed do so post.

Hope that clarifies the position that we are in regarding photographs posted on the web.

If anyone is concerned regarding photographs/links etc that are posted, please inform a moderator who will assist (thats another of our duties you know, that and clearing up threads :wink: )
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby conn75 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm

I worked in the Goldbergs building when it was Weisfelds. I started before it opened and we were in cleaning weeks before. It was a mess inside, but the big brass handrails on the stairs and everything were obviously still there - just filthy.

The whole building was full of little passages, in the basement, some of which went through to neighbouring buildings and under the street. Very creepy.

On busy Saturdays, or anytime we were bored/thought we wouldn't be missed, we sneaked up to the top 3 floors which were sealed off to the public (and generally us as they were dangerous - some floors had holes where you could peer down to the floor below). There were a good few bits and bobs from the Goldbergs days on these floors: old posters/newspaper pinups stuck up on stock-room walls, old sanitary towel dispensers on toilet walls (big fold-in-half nappy-types by Dr White - yes, there were still some in it), and of course old carpeting and decor. I never owned a camera at the time and curse the fact that I didn't get into photography until well after that period of my life.

I've thought about trying to get in now that it's shut, but it's so run down now I don't expect there's too much left to see. I'd be really keen to see any photos if anyone has some.
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby conn75 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Wow! I decided to go Googling for photos and found a post by dazzababes on another forum with photos of everything I was just talking about! Haha, nice one!

Brings back a few memories. Good to see a couple of those awful electric cars sitting there with the shit kicked out of them. Haha. I don't know how many of those came back faulty...
http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com
conn75
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)