Glen Michael

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby marginalwalker » Sun May 14, 2006 5:35 pm

If one listens to his shows on Saga FM you can hear the English accent coming through....

Im listening to him right now, and he is playing the theme tune to The Two Ronnies.. Good to know he is a fan of the legend that is Sir Ronnie Hazelhurst..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Mon May 15, 2006 8:15 pm

marginalwalker wrote:If one listens to his shows on Saga FM you can hear the English accent coming through....

Im listening to him right now, and he is playing the theme tune to The Two Ronnies.. Good to know he is a fan of the legend that is Sir Ronnie Hazelhurst..

Hazelhurst Rocks : )

Visit tv.cream.org for some more of his classics

Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BarrackroomLawyer » Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 pm

My enduring memory of Glen Michael was being savagely bitten all over my body one summer by midgies. We used to go there every Glasgow Fair as my father was a keen salmon poacher, the rest of us would spend most of thetime under seige in the caravan trying desperately not to need to go to the fermenting field toilet.

Kids today don't know they are born.
BarrackroomLawyer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 pm

BarrackroomLawyer wrote:My enduring memory of Glen Michael was being savagely bitten all over my body one summer by midgies. We used to go there every Glasgow Fair as my father was a keen salmon poacher, the rest of us would spend most of thetime under seige in the caravan trying desperately not to need to go to the fermenting field toilet.

Kids today don't know they are born.

Glen Michael caused the midgies?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BarrackroomLawyer » Mon May 15, 2006 10:17 pm

Glen Michael was always hoaching with all sorts of insects in the warm season.
BarrackroomLawyer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby peter » Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am

I hate to be the one to actually say it but Glen was Shite. My kids watched his show and we saw him "live" in the Yoker Resource Centre. He was Shite. How someone with no talent got away with fronting cartoons I don't know. You only need to look at the many crap cartoon channels on Sky that need no presenter. Naw gie me ra singin kettle.
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Tue May 16, 2006 9:32 am

peter wrote:I hate to be the one to actually say it but Glen was Shite. My kids watched his show and we saw him "live" in the Yoker Resource Centre. He was Shite. How someone with no talent got away with fronting cartoons I don't know. You only need to look at the many crap cartoon channels on Sky that need no presenter. Naw gie me ra singin kettle.

But there wasn't millions of crap cartoon channels. No DVDs, no videos... Kid's TV was 15 minutes in the afternoon and an hour and a half in the evening on weekdays and Saturday mornings. Sundays were full of dull religous and farming programmes apart from 10 minutes of Christopher Lillicrap telling bible stories on BBC1 in the morning.

Against this competition, Cartoon Cavelcade, despite having the production values of Lanarkshite TV and showing possibly the worst cartoons ever made, was the must see programme on a Sunday.

To put it further into context, for two years between the ages of 5 and 6 I had to live in the Border TV region. Their Sunday afternoon Kids TV consisted of a programme, in Black and White (in 1979!!!), featuring somebody sitting in a chair reading out a list of that week's birthdays. No Atom Ant, no cute doggy, no talking oil lamp. Now that was shite.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Tue May 16, 2006 11:30 am

red_kola wrote:But there wasn't millions of crap cartoon channels. No DVDs, no videos... Kid's TV was 15 minutes in the afternoon and an hour and a half in the evening on weekdays and Saturday mornings.

Absolutly right. When me and my sister were wee, CARTOON CAVALCADE was something we both really looked forward to. Eventually we both grew out of it (which was only natural), and there came a gradual relisation that yes, many of the cartoons were "shite", THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN was the beginning of the end for me, unspeakabley cheap and shoddy animation. Glen himself always came accross as a fairly affable man though, and I drifted away from watching the show through a dislike of it's content, rather than any aversion to it's presenter.

However, were the cartoons always "shite"? I'm certain that it was on this programme that I first saw most of the classic Warner Bros shows featuring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, the Road Runner, Sylvester etc. Some of these, especially the Tex Avery and Chuck Jones directed productions, remains some of the pinnacles of animation. You don't sit there as a wean and think this, but I honestly think that CARTOON CAVALCADE started a lifelong facination with the subject for me.

As the show went on, with it's low budget off set with major studios suddenly realising the true commercial value of their animation archives, CARTOON CAVALCADE no longer had access to the real quality product. It was being priced out of the market that really killed it off. One of it's earliest casualties was CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST, a regular when I started watching, it suddenly vanished, leading to months of Glen reading out tearful kid's letters asking when CASPER was coming back. He never did. Despite the iffy quality of these productions, even this character remains fascinating. The first short appeared in 1945 - only an event like the Second World War could produce the need for a cartoon about a friendly dead child.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue May 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Apparently Cecil Buckland's (aka Glen Michael) celebrated his 80th Birthday today

Happy Birthday Glen :D
Last edited by yoker brian on Tue May 16, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Tue May 16, 2006 5:51 pm

Im still waiting for a reply from my Xmas Card..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dreamena » Wed May 17, 2006 6:04 pm

I thought he was brill when I was a tiddler

I got a reply!!!!! I still have the card - up the loft somewhere
Dreamena
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glen Michael

Postby gap74 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 am

Entire 45 min episode of Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade available on Google video here, complete with a couple of retro ads in the middle - anyone have a birthday around May 9th 1982?

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 0091&hl=en

There's a much later one on YouTube divided into three parts, but it seems more of a look back show - although if you're just after the theme tune, the full length version (yes, all 1m 15s of it!) is on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arI42_bLlHo
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:48 pm

Cheers gap74, well cool :D Of course, it's not as good as I remember it...

I've still got a signed STV publicity photo of Glen (posing with Rusty) kicking about somewhere, gotten when he did a live thingy at Uphall Primary School in god-knows-what-year. I was fecking delighted at the time!
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby brickwall » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:59 pm

That theme tune just brings all the memories back...ahhhhh.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Cheers for that Gap ... now suitably ripped and installed as my latest comedy ringtone. :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)