Glen Michael

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Verbal Kint » Mon May 01, 2006 6:15 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Ahh I remember a story my mother told me about someone she knew whose son was in hospital and he got a tenner off Glen who was visiting, or something like that..

I'm going to ask him for some money. He never replied to the Xmas card that I and my work colleagues sent him.

Verbal, what do you do at Citypark?

I think the best prize of all was a jigsaw with him Rusty and Paladin (Not the safest of childhood friends a talking parifin lamp)

Oh and in answering your question I work for a major computer corporation in CP that should be clue enough : )
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 pm

I saw him eat his lunch a few months ago. I found it oddly engrossing.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Mon May 01, 2006 7:05 pm

marginalwalker wrote:I saw him eat his lunch a few months ago. I found it oddly engrossing.

And your refered to the post Fire..Burn baby "Rather curiously voyeuristic this thread..." I think watching people eat is more disturbingly voyeuristic especially if it is in the City Park Restaurant not the most hygenic of establishments. Try the cafe over the road I hear its good :wink:

Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon May 01, 2006 7:12 pm

I do remember an overall feeling of complete disappointment with the show :(
But there were only 3 bloody channels then. Politics on BBC1, and the Open University on BBC2, so there wasn't a huge choice.

[quote="Verbal Kint"]
I think the best prize of all was a jigsaw with him Rusty and Paladin (Not the safest of childhood friends a talking parifin lamp)
quote]

Yeah that's a point :?
They should have introduced Paladin's little brother, Sparky, the disposable lighter.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon May 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Paladin! Ive not heard of him for a while, anyone remember a certain Captain Brittles round here ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon May 01, 2006 8:22 pm

I used to watch the Cartoon Cavelcade and I remember when it stopped... was pretty gutted. My mum used to say that she watched it when she was a kid
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 01, 2006 9:09 pm

Used to love watching casper the friendly ghost. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordbarneth » Mon May 01, 2006 9:42 pm

my sister won the competition to name his new dog (late 70's/early 80's). we all spent the day at scottish tv and she was guest on the show. we met billy connoly that day as well.
lordbarneth
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Captain Brittles

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 01, 2006 9:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue May 02, 2006 11:13 am

STV are in the process of transferring it's old one inch video tapes on to digital, and I've personally been responsible for saving a few episodes of cartoon cavalcade for future generations. :wink:

Saw him at the Beach Pavilion in Girvan when I was a nipper. :D
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Tue May 02, 2006 5:31 pm

JayKay wrote:STV are in the process of transferring it's old one inch video tapes on to digital, and I've personally been responsible for saving a few episodes of cartoon cavalcade for future generations. :wink:

Saw him at the Beach Pavilion in Girvan when I was a nipper. :D
]

Are they transferring all the episodes?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 02, 2006 7:10 pm

I think a difficulty maybe encountered with the copyright to the cartoons so i would presume that what is being kept are some of Glen's contributions for when they do a tribute show.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Tue May 02, 2006 7:14 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I think a difficulty maybe encountered with the copyright to the cartoons so i would presume that what is being kept are some of Glen's contributions for when they do a tribute show.

Will that be for next year when STV turns 50?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue May 02, 2006 7:52 pm

Many years ago i got a signed b&w photo of him and the dug at a road show which may have been in Goldbergs in Glasgow...
Anyway several years later my sister, then a todler, peed on it.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 am

marginalwalker wrote:
Are they transferring all the episodes?

I'm not sure how many were actually recorded, but STV are getting rid of all their one inch tape archive and transferring what they can onto digital tape. All to do with the move to govan - apparently there's less space for storage so big tapes are being copied onto small tapes.

AFAIK (I dont work in the library) its a question of copying what they can in the time/budget available. Bear in mind Glen Michael is just part of this archive. There are thousands of hours of High Road there as well.

BTW - The ones I've seen copied were the whole shows, cartoons 'n'all. There is I'm sure , a copyright issue if they were to show them, but they're just being archived, not broadcast. I doubt they would have time to edit them onto digital tape anyway, more a question of setting up the tapes and letting them copy while staff get on with other stuff.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)