Books about Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Books about Glasgow

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:26 pm

This
is worth a read.

From the back cover.

" Phantom Village not only provides an insight into the way a contemporary city is constructed in the popular imagination. It acts as a salutory antidote to several years of Glasgow hype".

It was published in 1990. ISBN: 0 7486 60909
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm

glasgowken wrote:Dreadful cover, I complained about it on the Bloodbus forum. Hardly sums up what's inside, looks more like a kids story book :roll:

Also makes it look like it's some kind of nostalgia thing with the old style bus, when the whole point is that it's what's happenin now.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:34 pm

escapologist wrote:A great non-fic local history book is about the Britania Panopticon Music Hall in Trongate. I imagine this place would appeal to Hidden Glasgow posters.

The book's on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stan-Laurel-Oth ... 184158617X

I am told that the author is doing an event at Aye Write as well.

Judith Bowers is appearing at Aye Write! tomorrow, Thursday 13th March, 7.30-8.40 pm. Tickets are £7/6. She'll be talking about her book, the theatres itself and giving us a few songs too.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I had the misfortune last week of reading one of these free books from a Sunday newspaper. It was the one about the Glasgow gangster McGraw. Can I give any body a bit of advice before you read any of these Glasgow Hardmen/Gangster books GOUGE YOUR EYES OUT WITH A RED HOT POKER FIRST honestly the pain would be less severe. I had to go to the dentist after I read it and get root treatment without an anastetic to take away the pain. :? :?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:49 am

Andrew Aird - Glimpses of Old Glasgow is a must read for all. Its now free to read thanks to Strathclyde University's digital version. click on link below

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/airgli/airgli01.htm
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:01 am

After years of searching I have just bought an original 1894 version of Andrew Aird's book, 'Glimses of Old Glasgow', thanks Liz
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 pm

How's about this one, guys and gals? Just issued, get it in yir Christmas stocking.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:48 am

Did you just declare a new round of Rod Stewart?
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:18 pm

DMcNay wrote:Did you just declare a new round of Rod Stewart?

I think he has!
We can use Christmas selection 4a
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re:

Postby Glasgogirl » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 pm

pamd wrote:Not a book, but an excellent film - Ratcatcher.

"The squalid council estates of Glasgow, mid-’70s. While a dustmen’s strike grinds on, life at home for 12-year-old James Gillespie (Eadie) is intolerable. His father’s a drunken slob, his mother under pressure, and James himself is hiding a terrible secret about an accident in the local canal. To distance himself, he befriends 14-year-old Margaret Anne (Mullen), steals some money and rides the bus out into the countryside… "

From memory I think this is filmed around the Summerston area - at least I recognised the buses! The whole feel was one of community and repression. I loved it.

sounds like something I might like to read... btw, love your avatar...is the horse yours?
Glasgogirl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby calamity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:35 am

I wrote a couple of daft wee stories about living in the schemes on Tachras, one is called India st and for some reason the title i wanted got changed and doesnt fit for anyone who knows about Glasgow.. India st was the housing office, never mind, you can still read some of my rubbish under Maude on there ..hope you enjoy.. http://www.tachras.co.uk/
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 pm

A Disaffection by James Kelman. Just superb - even better even than How Late is Was, How Late which won the Booker. Buy two. In case you lose one.

Such Bad Company by George (?) Forbes and Paddy Meehan is a really interesting study of Glasgow criminality.

And I remember a huge furore kicked up in the seventies by something called A Glasgow Gang Observed - always wanted to read it but never did.
Whaddya mean, keep down? Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm

sunnysider wrote:A Disaffection by James Kelman. Just superb - even better even than How Late is Was, How Late which won the Booker. Buy two. In case you lose one.

Such Bad Company by George (?) Forbes and Paddy Meehan is a really interesting study of Glasgow criminality.

And I remember a huge furore kicked up in the seventies by something called A Glasgow Gang Observed - always wanted to read it but never did.

1973: Patrick, James. (1973), A Glasgow Gang Observed, London: Methuen

Its difficult to get at a reasonable price

Collette Douglas Home gives a good introduction to the book here

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sunnysider » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Fascinating article.

I see what you mean about the price, although I'm not all that surprised.

I was looking to buy Glasgow's People by Oscar Marzaroli for someone this Christmas till I saw it on Amazon for £138. Then I stopped looking.

Thanks, Dexter.
Whaddya mean, keep down? Why, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dist-
sunnysider
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Ratcatcher

Postby bod68 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:39 pm

pamd wrote:Not a book, but an excellent film - Ratcatcher.

"The squalid council estates of Glasgow, mid-’70s. While a dustmen’s strike grinds on, life at home for 12-year-old James Gillespie (Eadie) is intolerable. His father’s a drunken slob, his mother under pressure, and James himself is hiding a terrible secret about an accident in the local canal. To distance himself, he befriends 14-year-old Margaret Anne (Mullen), steals some money and rides the bus out into the countryside… "

From memory I think this is filmed around the Summerston area - at least I recognised the buses! The whole feel was one of community and repression. I loved it.

Filmed in Govan....Kintra Street was the street in which the family lived which was situated beside St Gerards Secondary School..All the old tenements have since been demolished as has half the school (My old school) and nice new builds in their place. Infact..When the sister goes out to get the bus, it's beside the school which incidently wasn't ever a bus route.

Thinking back, I remember all the talk about the film crews being in.. The families had all gone and the houses were weeks/months from demolition.

The canal scenes were filmed in and around the Maryhill area,

I remember the bin mens strike very well....This film was quite dark but very enjoyable.
It wisnae me.....Ask emmdy !!
bod68
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)