Whur did ye get yir claes fae?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JayKay » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:28 pm

glasgowgub wrote:DM HOEYS on the viccy road- a southside institution!

Had to go there to get my school uniform for secondary school. Odd, it was a regular school, but obviously with aspirations of exclusivity which meant a trip from the north of the city all the way to viccy road. Still routinely got a bollocking off the heedie for repeatedly wearing black trousers instead of the regulation conservative grey.

Best Glasgow clothes purchase evah was a pair of Black combats from War and Peace circa cant remember when. Never found a pair as good since, and they still occasionally make an appearance having outlived most other items in my wardrobe.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

RW Stevens

Postby skintobalinto » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:02 pm

Does anybody remember RW Stevens schoolwear suppliers on Deanston Drive in Shawlands, a ye olde shoppe with wooden trays with jumpers, shirts and ties in them and racks of school blazers, trousers, shorts and caps!!!.

They were the official school uniform suppliers for a lot of the schools in the glasgow area, in the days when school uniforms with blazers and all were compulsary and expensive.

It was still opened a couple of years ago, is it still on the go?
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:13 pm

It sure is still on the go... Fossy and i were there a while back 9he was buying his missus a wee surprise :wink: ::): )

Apr 2004
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby skintobalinto » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:16 pm

Fnar Fnar ::): ::):
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Seamey » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:20 pm

Seamey wrote:Stirling's? - it was a dusty place where Princess Square now is - especially got taken there for school uniforms - but they also sold denims and other clothes. They sold other stuff too - it was a bit like Croketts, but with clothes.

It wasn't called Stirling's but was called Patterson's and Crockett's has a c as well.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:23 pm

Was Stirlings not On Union Street? :?

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby YokerBloke » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:54 am

Remember 'Rig Out' under the Central Bridge? I remember getting jeans out of there a couple of times. 'Mister David' along at the Trongate? I think it's a wallpaper store now. Got some Sta pressed trousers there. they were always burgondy. Odd
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:45 am

There was a department store in Elderslie Street called Murray and Frame that shut some time in the early 60s. Haven't been up there for a while but I think the building's still there, probably flats by now.

And C&A of course, still one of the nicest modern buildings in Argyll Street, (now TG Hughes of course). I've always wondered what the roof is like, given that great flying canopy that surmounts the front elevation.

What about the Brigait? Glasgows first disasterous foray into the shopping mall was opened sometime in the early 80's and closed soon after. It's been empty ever since, despite an occasional gig as a concert venue when Mayfest was still going. The last tenent was Alan Stewart Hairdressers, but even he was forced out eventually. I (in common, I suspect, with most customers) only visited once and was amazed at the lack of thought that had gone into the planning of what was supposed to be a retail enviroment. The stores on the upper floor were less than 6 feet deep!

When I was at Art School we frequently got our clobber from The Square Yard at the Barras, or from The Cartwheel? (not sure if that's right...) upstairs across from the Square Yard. This guy always had lots of Military, postal, fireman's and British Rail surplus. For about a tenner you could make yourself memorable. Popular buys included beige waistcoats, (worn tucked in) Jackie Stewart hats (more often bought new from Dunn&Co. to avoid nits) and worn-out three button corduroy jackets, if possible in green.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:20 am

I remember the Briggait well. IT was used as a rehearsal space by Scottish Youth Theatre in 1993. The janitor wouldn't let us go anywhere in the building. Upstairs was totally out of bounds.

I remember that place in the Barras as well. Row upon row of obviously National Service-era battledress. This was the mid-80s and there was tons of it. Now you can't find army surplus like that anymore. Always wanted one of the big greatcoats, they looked well warm.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:28 am

My friend once bought for £5 a British Rails Guards overcoat from the Cartwheel which he took over the road to the Square Yard where he sold it for £6 and an old leather bomber jacket.

Next time we saw it the guy at the yard had sold it for a tenner.
£10 for a fourth hand jacket? Jeez.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby akbar del piombo » Fri May 04, 2007 3:24 pm

anyone remember marks duman tailors in saltmarket?
It aint no sin to take off your skin and dance around in your bones !
akbar del piombo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DickyHart » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm

akbar del piombo wrote:anyone remember marks duman tailors in saltmarket?

where about in the saltmarket was it?, there was a few tailors shops up and down there. A closed down still remains near the top.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:59 pm

akbar del piombo wrote:anyone remember marks duman tailors in saltmarket?

Their address was 107 Saltmarket, which is halfway down on the left hand side from Glasgow Cross, just before Steel Street
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri May 04, 2007 8:08 pm

Jeans For Sale
Partick Sports (Rangers tops)
Kays catalogue
The Officers Club
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Fri May 04, 2007 8:48 pm

I used to buy my everyday clothes from Millets camping shop in Ayr.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)