Glasgow Parks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Kirsty » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:18 am

Please excuse my crap typing in previous post!!
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Woof!

Postby cataclyzm » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:49 pm

Until we dogs get huge underground sewer systems and millions of litres of raw sewage pumped out into the clyde estuary, then I suggest you leave specified areas of the park for our use.

And another thing! Woof! Where do you think all those poop a scoop bags go to? Let nature do its thang, and woof off! At least we don't kill and disembowel one another for the fun of it, unless you humans force us into it of course.

Do you want unconditional love or not? Then listen and learn....or I'll be crapping outside the City Chambers and loving every moment of it.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:11 pm

I was in Kelvingrove Park today with the girlfriend and, being the mature 21 year old that I am, I headed straight for the wee swings and slides in the rather abandoned play area around the Royal Terrace/Claremont Gdns area. Now, the swings were OK but the slides were just too narrow for me... but yeah, I noticed in the middle of this area there's this bowl like depression in the ground, does anybody know what this was for?

I have some pics on my mobile, just need to wait for the wee Bluetooth USB thingie to arrive and I'll get them online.

Grum
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:49 pm

I think this is were the roundabout used to be?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:47 am

Yeah that would figure.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:13 pm

I was invited to an excellent seminar in the Scottish Executive today organised by Greenspace Scotland
http://www.greenspacescotland.org.uk
These guys have made some laudable headway on getting the need for revitalised and new greenspaces in our cities higher up (even on?) the policy agenda. They have even got themselves into a couple of Community Planning Partnerships as head concho advisors.
Some case studies from Dundee and Glasgow were given. However the run-away success of the day were Kathy Madden and Phil Myrick from the Project for Public Spaces, New York. They gave some stunning examples of their 'The power of ten' approach.
A couple of of these examples that are still in my mind are Campus Marius in Detroit, and Littleton in New Hampshire. The first was an ugly arterial road junction, the second was a non-descript downtown non-entity. In each case the approach was based on the reclaiming or introduction of green space and connecting up the disparate social uses across the locations. The result was revitalised physical use and aesthetic appearance - and a big uplift to the immediate local economy.
Their 'Power of Ten' approach is based on the concept of deliberately consolidating or providing an appropriate number of 'uses or things you can do'. It starts at the most basic level that says each public space should have at least ten uses or things you can do in it. They gave a sadly funny series of prestige architect-designed, but failing, public spaces in cities that were expensive, expansive, arty and with nothing to do in them, other than sit on the odd wee concrete seat.
An excellent and uplifting event that really shows up the common Scottish attitude 'Oh better not try anything like that - it will just be used by the neds and winnoes'. One hopeful sign is that the local on-site seminar they have organised for Glasgow was immediately booked-out, so there are people out there wanting to give our parks another go.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:19 pm

sounds great escot. keep us all posted

small question...
neds and winnoes'
is a winnoe like a ned kelpie or sthg? I'm showing how i'm from the shire and not the city here.
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:01 pm

Maybe, just maybe, green space and Glasgow is creeping up the agenda?
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/33432.html
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:10 pm

Mibbe.....after an un-named GC spokeswoman said nothing, as a report was due in the summer. :wink:
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:52 pm

i cant get down this slide.. its really distressing.im practically the same wieght as a child as it is:(

i was going to be a smart arse and say " its what the cool kids call a skate park" but thats just snide and wont win me any friends... besides i walked thru today and i see what u mean.. but where did the roundabout go? do you know a glasgow student with a mysterious kiddies roundabout residing in their flat? tell us a bout it!

leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:01 pm

i heard about this too.. the entrails thing seems to be a load of bollocks although somebody apparently comitted suicide (i have no details) by hanging themselves from one of the goadposts. theres a guy we know who lived in maclay student halls at the time who supposedly discovered the body but due to his questionable mental stability i have a feeling the previous comment about a typical wanky student story sounds about right... there was a body found in the rhododendron bushes on the other side of the park a few months after that though. wasnt in the papers and there were no film crews about so it wasnt taggart for once.the men in white paper suits and the coroners van along with the bloke sitting crying on a bench looked a bit bad.. anyone else hear about this? they put video cameras there not long after although they often seem to keep things like this quiet.
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:22 pm

leper_2000 wrote:the coroners van

i should say the coroners estate car.. because if i dont some other smart arse probably will... 8)
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby donjuan » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:28 pm

Why don't they just put in dog runs, like they have in Barshaw park Paisley? A small fenced off area full of sand where the dogs can do there business, and we don't have to stand in it. Image
Last edited by donjuan on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:40 pm

dog toilets! damn good idea.. much better than having doggy output lying around and the dogs owner doesnt have to keep picking up turds which im all for. the most important reason u shouldnt let ur dog shit on the ground is that there are microbes in there that get in ur blood and can make you very ill and go blind in some cases..various types of e-coli and the like as with most animals intestinal extractions.. especially nasty for the curious kiddy that wants to make a mud pie while they play. i have to say at least there isnt the same problem with needles and bucky bottles that we had at home. gcc might kick up a stink about money but whats new. only problem is the neds trying to burn them or whatever. no trouble with them pissing and shagging in them though. like they do with the kiddies play areas.
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)