Maggie Murphy's

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu May 19, 2005 5:14 pm

Post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu May 19, 2005 7:13 pm

aw naw, the jaggy blanket, that was the worst.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu May 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Yup I've been threatend with going to Rosies Home, and my evil parents even took me to see it one day (I must have been a right little s**t)

We used to go to Victoria Park and would walk up Westland Drive after gettting off the bus.

The building was / is just over the expressway looking into the park - I thinkit's now used as an old folks home but back then it was pretty run down.

I even heard my dad telling my niece recently that if she didnt do her homework she'd be sent to Rosies Home - poor kid she looked terrified!
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri May 20, 2005 1:21 am

and we are supposed to be nice to our parents when we are older.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TC1 » Fri May 20, 2005 12:06 pm

Living in Govanhill in the 50s, the "bad fire" was Dixon's Blazes, which lit up the sky for miles around every night. "You're for the bad fire, boy!" really was a threat.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Fri May 20, 2005 10:21 pm

I was occasional told by granda that I'd get sent to "the training ship" which I think was some kind of floating borstal. Sounded quite exciting to me.
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Fri May 27, 2005 9:34 am

I was always threatened with being sold to the gypsies when I was wee. I was told I would be chained up under a caravan with the greyhounds and would have to make clothes pegs... 8O Clearly, my own vivid imagination is taken from my mother.

20 years on, my mother is still threatening small naughty children as she is a matron of a boarding school now. On one memorable occasion, she told me that the girls she looks after had just seen the Michael Jackson Thriller video for the first time and were all too scared to sleep in case the Michael Jackson came for them as the werewolf (When really it should have been the boys who were worried :D )

She waited until they were all just getting off to sleep and started making howling noises in the corridor ::): And to think their parents pay for the privelege of my mother scaring the living daylights out of them!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby robertpool » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:48 pm

kelvin_hall wrote:I was occasional told by granda that I'd get sent to "the training ship" which I think was some kind of floating borstal. Sounded quite exciting to me.

The Clyde Training Ships were ex 'man-o-war' training ships for destitute boys located just off Rhu by Helensburgh. The first was the CTS Cumberland until a few of the boys set it on fire. The second was the CTS Empress. The boys were trained to take up a life in the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy. My maternal G.Grandfather was one of the boys trained on the CTS Cumberland who went on to serve on the CTS Empress. Here is his reference letter when he left the CTS Cumberland :

CLICK ON PHOTO OR LINK:

Image1873 Clyde Industrial Training Ship Cumberland. James McDonald's Reference by Robert Pool, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)