Ravenscraig

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Ravenscraig

Postby Lawman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 pm

That's a great picture, captures the scale of things nicely! A nice point of reference to for a then and now picture too, though the pub is now "Spicy Nights" ::):
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Right, the big 'r' ...

I know this is the symbol for the new town, but was it always there and adopted as the symbol, as per Google earth near the cooling towers, or was it recently dug in by the new mob? :?
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:41 am

Lawman wrote:Right, the big 'r' ...

I know this is the symbol for the new town, but was it always there and adopted as the symbol, as per Google earth near the cooling towers, or was it recently dug in by the new mob? :?

I never noticed before and I've lived near the 'craig for over 25 years, I suspect its something done by the site developers.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 pm

It's fairly recent. I remember it being done as part of the early stages of the redevelopment. Having said that, that was a good number of years ago now - I'm guessing at 8-10; although with of of the early optimism seemingly foundering in an endless sea of slag I've completely lost all sense of time vis-a-vis Ravenscraig post 1992.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:06 pm

The timescale is ridiculous. That spine road opened when I was in High School, been out of school for over 8 years now, so maybe 10-12 years. Every week one of the barriers at the roundabouts gets replaced only for it to get smashed into the next day ::):
I wonder how much has been spent repairing them!

Time flies!

I only noticed the 'r' the other day when looking about.

Passed the Cleekhiminn earlier, massive change between the past photo and the present. Couldn't stop and didn't have a camera...so maybe another day! Same with the land at the red bridge, nature has really taken hold! :mrgreen:
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:16 pm

Redevlopment of Ravenscraig seems to have well and truly stalled. If I recall, objections raised by those groups responsible for other developments in other towns (Livingston and Hamilton) scuppered things very effectively.

Here's a world exclusive. This picture has never before been published and it is my very great pleasure to give HG an epically railtastic scoop.

ravlinerelayingsmall.jpg

It shows relaying of the Jervie Junction - Ravenscraig line circa 1985/87. This was a double track railway, specially built for Ravenscraig in 1963/64. Here 110lb flatbottom rail on concrete sleepers (ex ECML) is being laid into position. It was subsequently welded into cwr lengths. This remained in situ until 1994 (2 years after the closure of the line) when it was recovered for use elsewhere and replaced with 98lb flatbottom. Interestigly enough, only the rail itself was removed from the up line, whereas both rail and sleepers were recovered from the down line. The down line was relaid with both 95lb Bullhead panels and 98lb flatbottom panels. I have the photos to prove it too! All track and ballast have now gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:44 pm

That is a great picture! I don't fancy laying rails in that weather though :D
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 pm

The 'Craig site has been used as an excuse by the politician's for blocking any other development in Motherwell or the surrounding areas. It's a disgrace and a white elephant. The latest plan is to drive a dual carriageway road from the site via New Stevenson, Carfin and Holytown to join the M8 and serve the 'Craig site. What for you may ask as there is nothing on it.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 pm

I've heard many a plan for the dual carriageway including one linking down to the M74, its a ridiculous plan and simply won't work! :|
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:03 pm

It was a lovely day on Saturday, perfect flying weather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGe-VhLDgQ&sns=em
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:59 pm

had one of those drones fly over me at the golf course on sunday,[knightswood].
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Not guilty! ::):
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Lawman wrote:It was a lovely day on Saturday, perfect flying weather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGe-VhLDgQ&sns=em

Thanks for that.
Lived next to the 'Craig and the site for nigh on 24 years.
You think that all residue of the former works has gone, till you see it from that perspective and you can recognise former building foundations and familiar points.
My wife had numerous relations who worked on the site (in fact one was killed there), so were pretty familiar with it.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 pm

My pleasure.

That is only a tiny corner of the site, so hopefully I will get a few more visits and try and find some more gems.

The thing that struck me the most was just caused by the circumstances of the day with it being sunny and warm, but no greenery, it was quite eerie and almost post apocalyptic!

I took a few snaps with my phone too:

Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm

From where you are, I take it if I was standing at the mini round about at the end of Motherwell College (or whatever they call it now), you're in the area to my right, if I'm facing towards the sports centre?
That area is the one that they have not really gone near as it was the most heavily contaminated, allegedly.
Most building/development work that has happened is up beyond the sports centre so far, well away from that area.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)