Ach come oan!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:27 am

First Glasgow do put the more run down buses on the routes with the most troublesome passengers, only fair I suppose, it's not the bus company shitting on the seats, & etching the windows.

Localy the 20 always seems to get the bottom of the barrow bus, while the more well to do 11, gets the nice new stuff.

They should have kept vinyl seats, they don't soak up the pish, lager & curry as much. That's where most of the overpowering niff comes from :?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:45 am

glasgowken wrote:First Glasgow do put the more run down buses on the routes with the most troublesome passengers

Well Bearsden gets the 51, formerly the infamous 59. It does go to Easterhouse/Queenslie though so I suppose the final destination could be troublesome. I've given up on the 51 now. I walk a bit further, pay a bit more and get the train. Too bad it's still First getting the money. :?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 am

One thing that would cut trouble, bring back the conductor.
Never happen of course.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:31 am

I use the bus reasonably frequently, and the buses are clean and modern and in a lot of cases practically brand new.

I think the timing is still really unreliable.

First need to improve the information on the bus stops so that you don't have to implicitly know exactly where the bus goes and how much it'll cost before you get on, cos the bus driver is not too likely to want to tell you.

There's also an element in the drivers that still think they're in some council owned operation and not working in a service industry...
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 am

Prices would be helpful - I have been charged different prices for much the same journey the past three or four times I've been on the bus, I suspect the driver is making it up. :?
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:40 am

Ally Doll wrote:Prices would be helpful - I have been charged different prices for much the same journey the past three or four times I've been on the bus, I suspect the driver is making it up. :?

The fares went up a few weeks ago (again)
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 am

Ally Doll wrote:Prices would be helpful - I have been charged different prices for much the same journey the past three or four times I've been on the bus, I suspect the driver is making it up. :?

Would it not be easier just to remember how much it cost the first time and offer the driver the same fare every time?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 am

onyirtodd wrote:

Would it not be easier just to remember how much it cost the first time and offer the driver the same fare every time?

I suppose so, but I have a memory like a goldfish for stuff like that... :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:35 pm

Molendinar wrote:the bus driver is not too likely to want to tell you.

Yes I can still remember asking for a student all-day, putting in my money and being faced with a blank stare for about 5 seconds. I told him "that's £1.35 in there" and he eventually found his tongue to say "got a student caerd?"
I also remember the time I got thrown off! I was trying to be a sneaky bugger by using yesterdays ticket. I wasn't expecting to get away with it but when I showed the driver and he didn't say a thing so had to assume he'd accepted it and walk on. After everyone else got on he was up the stairs after me!! ::):
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:02 pm

Sharon wrote:Instead of bullying people into using public transport...they could, oh I dunnop, call me crazy... make it better!!???

The buses are dire, dirty uncomfortable and crowded...and of course theres the age old problem of not knowing when to truel expect one.

Until that changes, bullying won't work.

I'm not saying bullying is right but it is what they are trying to do. The new bus lane is being put in Alexandra Parade soon. Where are all those who park there going to go. Yes, they will park further out and get a bus into town! What's the point in that? Would it not be better to get a bus from where you live.

And as for "I can't rely.... blah blah". We don't live in Siberia FFS.

First Bus could do a lot better in Glasgow. The buses are smelly, SOME passengers are strangers to a bar of soap but not evenyone who uses a bus is a scumbag.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:08 pm

Fat Cat wrote:First Bus could do a lot better in Glasgow. The buses are smelly, SOME passengers are strangers to a bar of soap but not evenyone who uses a bus is a scumbag.

The plastic screen between passenger and driver is a bit intimidating too, I don't like to think that it must be necessary. It isn't used in Aberdeen, and it has its scummy parts too.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Schiehallion wrote:The state of the bus depends on the route. I've got two services, the posh 44 (Eaglesham - Knightswood) which has new, shiny, clean buses and the 66 (East Kilbride - Mountblow) which uses more downtrodden buses for a more common class of customer.

How true. Same for the 20 and 59. But the 44 is quite a student bus too - we must be better thought of!

The 20 was the one which had it's double decker windows kicked out by schoolkids in October on West Graham Street. I prefer getting the 66, I feel it has a bit more class (and newer buses!).
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:35 pm

The 42, Drumchapel to Barlanark is the oldest buses they can find. A lot of older people seem to use this service and they seem to get thrown all over the bus. The 38 run quite new buses and lots of buggy room for the plethora of single mothers going to spend their Monday book money at the Fort.

Don't prams fold up any more?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:36 pm

The last few buses I've caught 38 & teh 57 have had no suspension and seats that offer no respite from the bumps. The floors are typically rolling with empty bottles and MacDonalds left overs.

And whats with the buses that when idle essentially rock (bounce) you like a baby...????
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Simba » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:41 pm

The last bus I was on, last week, think it was a 20 - it smelt anyway, I kept slipping forward off my seat. No matter how hard I tried to sit up I kept slipping down! Strange.

The 18 also seems to have nice buses, and that's to Summerston.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)