Odeon RIP....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Bingo Bango » Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 am

TommyDGNR8 wrote:A structure like that in the right place would be a thing of beauty, (have any of you folks had a wander around La Defence in Paris?) but it needs more space to breathe than it's going to get down there.

And how come these artist's impressions always feature bright blue skies? What's it going to look like on a driech February afternoon?

as they are primarily drawings to show the design of the building, bright blue skies are shown so as to illuminate the building. we could show what it would look like in a bad day in february, but it would be dull, and would obscure the design which would defeat the purpose of sending the images to the planning department to illustrate the building

how about a night shot when there is a power cut? they could do that, or a view when a super volcano erupts in the site next door and covers the area with ash?

:)
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Horrible!

Postby dougie79 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:28 am

Really hope they dont build that, looks well out of place. What is Glasgow comming to.

Everything seems to be glass, glass and more glass, why cant buildings be nice anymore?
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Fri May 11, 2007 10:36 am

That looks quite snazzy :)

Bet it goes on fire though.
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Horrible!

Postby scallopboy » Fri May 11, 2007 10:41 am

dougie79 wrote:Everything seems to be glass, glass and more glass, why cant buildings be nice anymore?

Because "nice" doesn't win awards or massage the ego of the architect. It's so much easier and cheaper to fling up something in steel and glass and call it an "icon" building retaining original features than design and build something in keeping with the surroundings.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 11, 2007 10:45 am

dougie79 wrote:What is Glasgow comming to.

You may well ask. Once a city renouned for beautiful Georgian/Victorian buildings is now a property developers paradise. Lego blocks being flung up in record time. And all of them ugly
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Fri May 11, 2007 10:47 am

scallopboy wrote:
dougie79 wrote:Everything seems to be glass, glass and more glass, why cant buildings be nice anymore?

Because "nice" doesn't win awards or massage the ego of the architect. It's so much easier and cheaper to fling up something in steel and glass and call it an "icon" building retaining original features than design and build something in keeping with the surroundings.

whats so important about being in keeping? if that mentality was always followed, we would still all be living and working in delightful little thatched cottages or something....

on one hand, we complain buildings arent well enough designed, with too much glass and not enough 'other' and then when a contemporary piece of design is proposed there are complaints of not being in keeping with surroundings!

the mind boggles.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glass

Postby dougie79 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:53 am

I totally agree mate. Given a few years glasgow will be made from glass.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri May 11, 2007 10:53 am

I want to see plastic tits on it.

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

nICE

Postby dougie79 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:54 am

FANTASTIC! That would make the area a bit more interesting.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 am

I've not really got a problem with the idea of a modern building replacing the auditorium block, but I really do think that this has a problem with scale. The whole idea of demolishing the auditorium block is to remove the featureless mass of brickwork - to then replace that with a mass of largely blank glass seems somewhat pointless, even though they've tried to make the lower floors transparent.

I'm also not terribly convinced that it interacts very well with the retained facade - look at the former Ascot cinema in Anniesland to see how clumsy allowing an oversized rebuild behind a retained facade can look. I'd much rather see the building step up gradually from that than loom large over it as the artists impressions show.

I'm not saying this is an easy site to redevelop, but to unveil a set of plans that go on about how much of an eyesore the current building is seems a bit of a cheek - it's only an eyesore cos the developers have allowed it to become so! This is rapidly becoming a well-worn excuse with many derelict buildings that I'm not happy with!

Finally, I see the architects state that it is "the least attractive building in the city centre" in the link posted above with the pics - er, well I presume they are referring to the auditorium block only, but even so, I can think of many, many other buildings that deserve that moniker before this one - and a good deal of them were built fairly recently by contemporaries of the architects!

PS - am I the only one who kinda likes the relentless, monolithic brickwork of the auditorium, especially the West Nile St facade of the former fly tower? If it looked a bit less shabby than it does now, it really wouldn't be all that bad!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby invy » Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 am

Fossil wrote:I want to see plastic tits on it.

ROFLMAO! ::):

-Jim
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:04 am

Funnily enough, I was thinking this morning that we should protest against some of the dodgier decisions made recently by the planning department by submitting an application to replace the planning HQ in George St by a model of a giant spurting cock. Not sure the planning committee would see the irony, but then they're probably still in a bit of flux at having lost their chairman in the elections last week, so it may slip by unnoticed!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri May 11, 2007 11:09 am

gap74 wrote:

Funnily enough, I was thinking this morning that we should protest against some of the dodgier decisions made recently by the planning department by submitting an application to replace the planning HQ in George St by a model of a giant *spurting cock*. Not sure the planning committee would see the irony, but then they're probably still in a bit of flux at having lost their chairman in the elections last week, so it may slip by unnoticed!

*i do own the copyright on talking about that. [In cinemas soon GFT Probably]

Aye I will start a thread.

Architects WTF?

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=120425#120425

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby scallopboy » Fri May 11, 2007 11:27 am

Bingo Bango wrote:whats so important about being in keeping? if that mentality was always followed, we would still all be living and working in delightful little thatched cottages or something....

Who said anything about building thatched cottages? By "in keeping" I mean something that compliments the surrounding buildings. I don't want to see it replaced by something in fake sandstone facade either. The retained building frontage is Art Deco; would it have taken so much effort to design the rest of the building with this in mind as opposed to having an off the shelf steel and glass building that could be in New York, Tokyo or Sydney? Cheap and nasty design is cheap and nasty design regardless of the era or location it's built.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri May 11, 2007 11:30 am

How bout' it?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)