Odeon RIP....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:11 pm

Quote by Anderston Councillor Alex Mosson,
"Far too many old buildings in Glasgow are not looked after by their owners."

I think most here would agree wholeheartedly with him, but, you could say that about buildings owned by GCC as well :?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:52 pm

I like the plans for it; at least someone with money has a vision for it in terms of renewal and survival, while retaining the general appearance. Although the money aspect means it will be shops/ eateries you get everywhere as oppossed to an atmospheric gallery with wee independant stores.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Targer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 pm

This looks like another case where a developer (speculator) buys up property usually at below current value and waits, waits for it to increase in value. All the while the propert becomes unsafe,an eyesore or subject to vandalism and then arson. An article in The Guardian suggests a method to induce these people to proceed with the promised development. A land tax imposed as if the building was being used for its commercial purpose.
http://money.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,32 ... 30,00.html. ??
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Follow-up letter on the topic in today's ET:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/opinion/d ... to_rot.php

LETTERS: Landmark buildings shouldn’t be left to rot

I WAS delighted to see the Evening Times highlighting the increasing problem of our landmark listed buildings being left to rot (A Nightmare on Renfield Street, January 8 ).

Glasgow is sadly infamous for the number of its historic buildings that have gone on fire in mysterious circumstances while sitting empty, or which have had to be demolished due to their deteriorating condition.

Let's hope something similar is not the eventual fate for the Odeon - one of Scotland's finest 1930s buildings.

Sadly, the old Odeon building is by far from an isolated example - developers were granted permission to convert the old Olympia Theatre at Bridgeton Cross to flats. Several years - and one fire - later, it is still empty and decaying.

With a bit of imagination these landmark buildings could, and should, be brought back into use. The council needs to be encouraged to actively use their legal powers to force owners to make repairs and maintain these buildings; a survey in England showed that having a building listed actually adds around 20% to its market value.

I wonder who might have written that? :)
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:05 pm

was it not an LHO who was granted planning consent for the conversion of the Olympia? I bumped into an old lecturer of mine just before xmas and he was saying that he was doing some consultation work with the would-be developers of the Odeon, regarding the Odeon so I'm still fairly positive that the development will go ahead :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:14 pm

Interesting - what sort of consulting do you know - i.e. would it be to do with restoring the facade at all? We had some discussions with the developer along those lines last year, also pointing out the areas of original decoration that could be retained and restored. Didn't get the impression they were terribly interested though.

Here's the planning permission for the Olympia:
http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/file ... cation.pdf
It's not a company I'm familiar with I must say...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:22 pm

Given his line of work i would say in all likelyhood it would be to do with the restoration of the façade - hence my opefullness :D. I didn't get a chance to speak to him properly tho as we were in the middle of a very, VERY busy shop ...Remnant Kings of all places...

Don't know where I got the idea of it being an LHO doing the redevelopment :? Never heard of that company either
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:30 pm

That is a positive sign - we are very keen to see the exterior restored to as close to its original glory as possible - in particular the neon display and removing that tatty white paint!
We've amassed quite an archive of reference photos of the building, which we'd be happy to put at his disposal if you happened to mention our contact details to him at any point... ;)

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:15 am

£80m sequel for Odeon

THE famous Odeon Cinema in Glasgow is to be reborn as the Paramount
Building with an £80million plan to turn it into an office and leisure complex.

It will feature a bold glass design with an 11-storey tower and developer
Duddingston House Properties wants the restaurant and leisure project to sit
alongside the office block and to retain the landmark's original 1930s art deco
corner frontage...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:49 pm

The same company tried something with the Edinburgh Odeon, and it has sat empty for nigh on 5 years now.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu May 10, 2007 5:17 pm

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Keef » Thu May 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Man ats bowfin. :cry:
Keef
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 10, 2007 9:54 pm

That your professional, learned opinion is it?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 11, 2007 9:54 am

I agree with Keef. That corner is a congested mess as it is. The building is big enough just now to make good use of the space.

Huge glass extensions dwarfing the Victorian builds around about it is not a good use of aesthetics.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:06 am

A structure like that in the right place would be a thing of beauty, (have any of you folks had a wander around La Defence in Paris?) but it needs more space to breathe than it's going to get down there.

And how come these artist's impressions always feature bright blue skies? What's it going to look like on a driech February afternoon?
TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)