Victorian Tenement Closes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Victorian Tenement Closes

Postby cataclyzm » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:26 pm

Any interesting images of Glasgow Victoriana in terms of the Glasgow Tenement?
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:45 pm

Here's some of the original features of my edwardian tenement close with a couple of orbs thrown in

Last edited by crusty_bint on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

THank you!

Postby cataclyzm » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:14 pm

I'm very impressed, and thank you for that wonderful image. You've definitely got some kind of Orb there.

Stunning window and tilework.

Thank you
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

the past

Postby cataclyzm » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:22 am

Have you ever thought of finding about the previous occupants of the building, and in particular, the part where you now live.
I think it is wonderful that you can live in what is basically: a historical building that is relatively untouched from its original design. Have you ever had any experiences in the building of a "supernatural" order?
There is something about the Glasgow tenement which goes deep into my heart, and I really don't know why. The wonderful coolness of the close on the hottest summer days and the sense of stillness that must come from all that stonework.
They really are evidence of a bygone age when people cared about design for designs sake, and not just commercial enterprise. Perhaps you have a different point of view, but nevertheless, I'm extremely grateful to you for providing those images, and can't thank you enough for your kindness.
Robert.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Kirsty » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:00 am

Hi guys.

I used to live in the TSB building in Springburn and the flat that I moved into had not been lived in for over 30 years. I gave loads of old stuff to Springburn Museum . I done a bit of history into the building and I know that bank staff lived in the flats. What did puzzle me though was at the side of the windows there was wooden panels with little wooden handles on them as though they should pull open. Alas they didn't pull open!! Someone said that it would have been where the black out blinds were stored. Not sure if this is one of those made up rumours or not.

Any ideas?

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:19 am

Kirsty wrote:Hi guys.

I used to live in the TSB building in Springburn and the flat that I moved into had not been lived in for over 30 years. I gave loads of old stuff to Springburn Museum . I done a bit of history into the building and I know that bank staff lived in the flats. What did puzzle me though was at the side of the windows there was wooden panels with little wooden handles on them as though they should pull open. Alas they didn't pull open!! Someone said that it would have been where the black out blinds were stored. Not sure if this is one of those made up rumours or not.

Any ideas?

Kirsty

were they not shutters? :?
My old house had them in the downstairs rooms but the house was Built 1901 well before the ww
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Springburn Tenements

Postby cataclyzm » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:44 pm

We lived in the Victorian tenements in Gourlay street in Springburn, until they were demolished in the 1980s. We moved to the high rise flats in Germiston, and I was only 1 years old.
I think we all regretted moving from the tenement flat, and the fact that the area I was born no longer exists is kind of sad, but life moves on...and I now live in Bangor in Northern Ireland. Still...Glasgow is very much a part of me, it kind of gets underneath your skin - those quiet and ancient places.
I'm sure you'll remember what Springburn Road used to be like, as opposed to what it is now....(a motorway).
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)