Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Socceroo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:53 pm

Bonz wrote:Please y'all, don't judge the Council now on the events of 5 years ago!!!

We don't need to judge them Bonz one of the highest courts in the land already has.

"The Commission for Racial Equality said the court's findings were a major concern and should be a wake-up call for all public authorities in Scotland."

I take on board your points that the Council has changed at the top in the last five years.................. but Unison also stated,"We want the council to appoint a renowned independent race equality expert to lead a process of change across all aspects of the council's work."

I see the Council are also still looking at their legal options in terms of the judgement of the case. There goes another slice of Council Tax cash.

No doubt, now that the judgement has gone against the Council they will now after five years put into place some reactive procedure to stop it happening again.

Like Unison have asked for, probably a renowned independent race equality consultant at great expense to the Council Tax payers will be engaged to carry this out.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:53 pm

As a mere barrack room lawyer I would suggest there are no more legal options and add at the end of any judgement that goes against them (see Lap dancing- John Moynes) they tend to say

[/code]"We are currently looking at the judgements in consultation with senior counsel to consider our legal options." [/quote]

However their latest Corporate HR move is to remove the qualification requirement from posts that now require qualifications (this excludes teachers so rest easy there gals) This apparently will remove a barrier to employment suffered by the disabled and people from the minority ethnic communities. I have yet to see any research that would support this. However whilst the manual workforce in several similarly sized councils has a significant number of workers of colour in say cleansing, catering, and acre staff Glasgow has none. No qualifications are required for these posts. I am taking a guess here but I do think that that the majority of posts occupied by the 3% of the workforce who are disabled or of colour would be ones that did require a qualification. It used to be called levelling the playing field.

Unison should occasionally offer a no comment and let the council swing.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 am

Indeed, Dexter..as they truly have made a "Roger Hunt" of that one.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:42 am

Whatever happened to just employing the right person for the job?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:14 am

Bonz wrote:I've been heavily involved in recruitment for Glasgow City Council very recently.

I can't comment on the events of 5 years ago, but I can tell you that I have found Glasgow City Council to be an incredibly unbiased employer. in fact the most unbiased I have ever worked in.

As the news report said, since the year 2000 GCC has a new Chief Executive, Leader of The Council and a new Head of Corporate HR.

Please y'all, don't judge the Council now on the events of 5 years ago!!!

If I start hearing that it is commonplace for people (with no relations/cooncillor next door) to get a job with GCC like they would with 'normal' companies then fair doos.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:42 am

I was a bit taken aback last night to hear that this race discrimination case was being reported on the late night BBC World News.

I find the case, and the issue, perplexing. I agree with Bonz that there is currently a lot of determination and delivery on the part of the Council when it comes to equalities. In my direct experience, a lot of other organisations could learn from the Glasgow Council on good practice. I suspect that the likes of Lanarkshire and Inverclyde could do with some of this learning. But there again, one of the accusers in this case states that:

"only one of 500 senior managers at the council was from a black background and I think the situation is even worse now."

This seems a very low percentage, but maybe it reflects the Glasgow population. A relevant factor may be that as a major UK city, Glasgow is rated by those using the Richard Florida approach as a city with a low diverse population mix compared to other cities.

Whilst I acknowledge the Council's current endeavours, its previous history on employment matters didn't exactly appear an 'inclusive' one. Cultures in organisations take a long and difficult time to change.

Whilst this case may at first take look like one of discrimination by whites against ethnic minorities, the other accuser states:

"I feel that the council ought to acknowledge publicly that there are council workers who discriminate against other workers. This assumes greater significance when, as in my case, an Afro-Caribbean senior officer aided and abetted the racist treatment I was subjected to."

There is the complication as to whether we are talking about crude racism by individuals or 'institutional racism. On the individual stuff, my impression is that most, but not all, people in Glasgow would not see that as acceptable in the workplace. The institutional racism is a more sublte one and I think far more difficult for most people to understand or buy into.

I attended a short training course a few years ago and I must admit it opened my eyes to how an organisation can be institutionally racist without the individual employees or members being racist or being aware of the racist impact of the way their organisation works.

The problem here is that when you try to raise the topic with those individuals, they are very likley to be insulted and angry for the very reason that they are not personally, intentionally, racist.

What does not help anyone, whether from a mainstream or minority background, is the proffessionals who are now making a merry living, and mischief, out of the compensation and litigation 'industry'. I have witnessed more than once the very negative impact that individual cases have had on the attitude of staff in organisations where a discrimination case was 'won' but perceived by the staff to be an unfair and unequal case fought by slick and amoral means. This provides fodder for the likes of the BNP to follow-up with their lines about 'see, they get better treatment than you'.

Of course, race discrimination cases are not the only ones where that type of situation comes about... as I say the case and the issue is perplexing.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:27 pm

Looks like they're (GCC) at it again-

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/57728.html
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Not really sure its the fault of the GCC even though they were the defendant. After all, they were just following accepted past practice. The tribunal (rightly IMHO) found that it is wrong to discriminate on the basis of religious faith in a public school system.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:22 pm

They were following the 1918 Education act and various agreements made since then.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Morrison » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:01 am

JoeyCape wrote:I find this topic really depressing as I feel that my dream of driving one of those wee council dust-buster things will be impossible!! :cry:

This really made me smile :D

I have found this thread quite interesting as I remember my father telling me that back in the 1940/50's the Corporation Cleansing Department was 'our family business'. They were none of them Celtic supporters so I guess it worked both ways ...
Morrison
Just settling in
Just settling in

Not a City Council Job

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 pm

• Are you looking for a new challenge?
• Are you interested in helping people furthest removed from the labour market to move back into work?
• Are you positive, motivated and flexible in your approach?

If you answered YES to any of these questions Equal Access to Employment in Glasgow could have the job for you. Equal Access is currently recruiting for five Employment Support Workers.

As an Employment Support Worker you will be expected to work closely with a range of services in order to influence change and support people who have lifestyle and employability related issues in order to help the person access and sustain employment opportunities. You will offer support to clients at the initial stages through to securing and maintaining a job, helping the person to address lifestyle and work related issues that may affect their employment

Salary - £18,381-£20,016 depending on experience.
These three posts are funded until November 2008 and will be hosted by one of our partner organisations in the North or East of the city.
To find our more or for an application pack please contact Anne Scott, Equal Access to Employment, Unit 11, The Adelphi Centre, Commercial Street, Glasgow G5 0PQ
Phone: 0141 429 2518 e-mail: [email protected]
Closing date 19th May 2006
More information on the Equal Access Strategy can be viewed on our website: http://www.equalaccessglasgow.com
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Not a City Council Job

Postby macca734 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:24 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:As an Employment Support Worker you will be expected to work closely with a range of services in order to influence change and support people who have lifestyle and employability related issues in order to help the person access and sustain employment opportunities.

Sounds like a bag of wank to me. Why not call it Junkie Dustmen or Hapless Technicians or even Employing the Unemployable.

And I hate the expression "influence change." Reminds me of those numpties who came round our offices to do Travel Surveys;

"Tell me William, how often do you use public transport for business or social travelling?"

"Never!"

"And why is that?"

"Because its shite!"

And who writes this shite? What does "sustain employment opportunities" mean? How does one sustain an opportunity? Sounds like someone is reading from their Big Book of Buzzwords.

Bring on the Octogenerian P.E. Teachers.

::):
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Mon May 08, 2006 6:00 pm

glasgowken wrote:I've heard many times that you have to 'know' someone to have any chance of getting a job with the council, can anyone here shed some light on that rumour ?

Certainly in my own experience i've applied for various GCC jobs over the years (mostly connected with the museums, & leisure side), and never even got an interview.
If these rumours are true it shows them up to be a real bunch of hypocritical, bent, gobshites.

I suppose I kind of knew that already :wink:

Im at phase two with them, well phase two was on Friday there. Hope I get through to phase 3 - the interview.

Don't quote me but I think it's a 3 phase affair to get a job, or perhaps its just the post i'm going for.

Fingers crossed. I'll be a wreck if I've failed phase two. :cry:
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon May 08, 2006 6:50 pm

Best o' luck, JR. Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Postby Fossil » Mon May 08, 2006 6:52 pm

Jupiter-Returns wrote:
Im at phase two with them, well phase two was on Friday there. Hope I get through to phase 3 - the interview.

Don't quote me but I think it's a 3 phase affair to get a job, or perhaps its just the post i'm going for.

Fingers crossed. I'll be a wreck if I've failed phase two. :cry:

::): It sounds like a planning application

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)