New Indoor Saturday Market in Glasgow. Interested?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New Indoor Saturday Market in Glasgow. Interested?

Postby russ » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:04 pm

Sharon asked me to come over and post about a little idea of mine. Starting a new indoor market on a Saturday in the Bastille (Sloans). Here some info about it.

Oh!! and hello by the way. I've lurked quite a bit over this forum so it really was about time that I got around to registering.

*waves

Hello!

As some of you may already know, we have been in talks with Bastille (formerly Sloans) about hosting an indoor market on a Saturday afternoon. A heady mix of fashion, food, and music we aim to provide an alternative shopping experience, in sumptuous surroundings, just off of Glasgow's busiest retail precincts.

Inspired by the lack of real diversity in our home town, our idea is to bring together creative and inventive people who wish to sell their wares to a wider audience... without the exorbitant rates high street retail rental.

We ourselves are designing t-shirts/clothing and creating prints and canvases and as such are looking for others who compliment what we do.

So what can you do?

Well anything really.

We have a 2 month trial run agreed, 4 days, every second Saturday. The only cost we ask from you is £15 to go towards producing promotional flyers. Other than that there is no cost to you... no rental, nada!

If the trial run goes well then we will have a permanent weekly weekend market in the City Centre. Sound Good? We hope so.

Our first date is not yet confirmed but we are aiming to have the first market by the end of October.

First things first, we need to get names and numbers of those people who want to be involved. Get in touch with us either by email or mobile, stating who you are and what you propose to do in the market. Once we have a good list of people we will call a meeting in Bastille to confirm the date of the first market.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Russell Kyle
Last edited by russ on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm happy with my stall at the Barras

And to be brutally honest, I wouldnt be too happy with anything that takes what little business the barras has left these days
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby russ » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:00 pm

The barras is a wonderful place but this is more aimed at independant retailers creating designer clothes, art and phototgraphy. More along the lines of what the Virginia Galleries used to be. Not really something I would expect to go down to well in the Barras.

What kind of stall you got in the Barras if you don't mind me asking.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:01 pm

I think thats a great idea Russ, I'll have to show this to a few folks.

I also think the Barras is an absolute DIVE and that this little enterprise caters to a different market.

Good luck to you Russ, I hope the enterprise works out for you! :D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby russ » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:06 pm

Ever since the ebay arrived I find it hard to part with my cash in the Barras. There is some great bargins to be had, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to cameras in stuff the Barras has had it.

There is a guy in the wash house that has loads of great old cameras and electronics but his prices are just fantasy. He offered me an Olympus OM10 for £75 and I just had to laugh. You get OM10's for about £20 on ebay all the time.

I do love searching through all the junk at the Barras. Good Fun.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:16 pm

You have mail :)
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:38 pm

Excellent idea. Virginia Galleries is sadly missed.

Can I suggest having a radical bookstall. Its something Glasgow doesn't really have. Maybe these people could do something:

http://www.akpress.org/

Good luck!
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby russ » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:45 pm

Will have a look into that and give them a shout. Do you know them?
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:28 pm

I have 2 OM10s and I love them to bits... they are still working well and would not part with them for a digital camera

Film prints are so much better... higher quality and can be blown up and up and still look sharp... digital starts going the bigger it gets... no matter what the res

Anyway, my stall is a unique stall that isnt repeated anywhere in the UK
I sell ringtones and pictures direct onto mobile phones... cutting out the con of the newspapers... You give us cash and contract over... no ringtones sent to you at 3am for £3 a time
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:33 pm

OM 10's? Ringtones? I'm feeling the luddite urge to smash all technology! (except our beautiful new i book thingy)

I don't know them but there is a wee radical book fair in the foyer of CCA this weekend (as part of the Document 3 Human Rights Documentary film festival). Maybe you could talk to them there?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

new market

Postby hazy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:14 pm

is the Victorian village still open. Used to get crackin linen shirts there
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby russ » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Not heard of the Victorian Village.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:20 pm

russ wrote:Not heard of the Victorian Village.

Regent St. (i think) near the corner with Renfield St. Behind scaffolding at the mo, not sure if still open
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:59 pm

West Regent St...

I passed last week and had look over, but it was chucking it down and I'm not sure either, but I think its gone too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ladylabobo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:30 pm

I would be interested in the future as im hoping to start making clothing to sell pretty soon. Only thing is I'm still pretty much starting out and wouldnt have enough stock for a stall at this time.

But keep me updated (via pm or something) cos I'm definitely interested.
ladylabobo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)