Re: Drumchapel

Postby robertpool » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:06 am

it's worth watching twice :). What a pig sty
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:06 pm

the drum of chapel is now dow down to to four pubs three bookies and a chippy that opens at 7 am,oh and a nice big shiny social work dept.i have looked at the nice new houses in the area and some of them are already starting to resemble what was in the film there.some of them if you placed them just a few hundred yards from where they are now would fetch serious money.my mate stays in a detached five apartment in the drum after serving his time in one of the tenements as do a few others but it seems the more space some of them get then the more mess they make of it.it breaks your heart to think that some decent people cat get housing when some others get it and willfully destroy it and its surroundings and nothing gets done about it.the shopping centre,dont go there,seriously.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:38 pm

in 10 years they will do a remake of the documentry and will be able to use the same 'voice overs' because nothing will have changed
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:37 pm

It made me so sad to view that film, to see Drumchapel in such a sorry state. I was brought up there and have good memories of the place, although we did live in one of the so-called 'good' parts. I know that, although my life was almost idyllic, my brother could tell another side to the story - it was different for lads.

I knew there were parts of the scheme which had become unloved, uncared for and best avoided, but I never really saw anything as bad as was in the film. I moved away in the mid-70s.

When my parents had to move away (in the 1990s), they missed the place and their neighbours so much, even though they got to know good neighbours at their new home.

When I think of the squalor and cramped conditions that my folks and others left behind, it makes me angry that some chose not to treat their homes and environment better. I know the flats were not ideal, but compared to what they left behind, they were palaces. In fact, that is what my parents used to call their flat - their wee palace.

No schools, shops or facilities (at first) was no excuse for vandalism and neglect. And the authorities aren't above criticism either. But the rotten apples spoil it for everyone and it's just not fair.

I'm sorry to read that some of the new houses look to be suffering the same fate. I must wear rose-tinted glasses, I had hopes of a better future for the Drum.

So very sad....
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 am

Having tramped through many of the streets of Drumchapel and puffed my way up and down closes it continues to have good and bad bits. Sometimes in the same street and sometimes in the same close. From the taxi driver who thinks his garden is a place for spare parts to the specimen that leaves a leaking bag of garbage on the landing rather than take it to the bin. On the other had there are People whoo take a pride in their home and tytheur gardenns and back courts. Carpets on the landings, floral displays and curtains too.

The majority of people who live in Drumchapel are good people and they should benefit from re generation. Why shouldn't they want to live in Drumchapel. I'm also sure they want better neighbours but don't want empty houses next door to them.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 am

It's both sad and very annoying that the same pattern is happening again amongst a group of residents. They threw an enormous amount of money into it with the regeneration programme but was it all just brand new shiny houses?
My ex was a builder out there a few years ago and not used to large estates like Drumchapel having grown up in rural Ireland. He said when he was working on the new build houses that all he heard from people walking by (in the afternoon :roll: ) was
"Hurry up Pal and finish my new house"
Drumchapel was the place where my Granny got a new house when it was built and despite it being the most luxurious house she ever had she hated the isolation.
I still think it was right to regenerate the area and maybe give some hope or inspiration to some of the children living there.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Is Drumchapel another Arden?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Heard from a builder chap who was called out to fix a brand new house in the Drum where the sinks had been ripped off the walls and the sinks smashed up for the taps. Much of the copper pipe had been ripped out as well.The stainless steel sink unit had been smashed up and the stainless steel top and taps stolen. This was a new house for a new tenant. The new tenant was due to move in next day. I just dont understand these people who do this sort of thing. The scrap would only be a few pounds. The place was flooded and it will require new floors.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:50 pm

I lived at the top of Achamore Road until I was four, and we moved to England. These pictures remind me so much of my early childhood. I always remembered the water tower and the bluebell woods, but where we lived was fading quite markedly in my memory. Great thread, these photos are important.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby joinersshop » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm

i have fond memories of drumchapel stayed at 34 fettercairn from 62 till 67 loved to watch the school football on a saturday morning and midweek especially kingridge v st pius also played with the cleddans school team happy days still love the football and still involved 46years later
joinersshop
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby moonbeam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Shopping centre now wholly owned by Premier Property Group Ltd ie PPG Metro. Part of the Murray Empire.
The old Somerfield now the Co-op store is closing in March. Wonder if its to be demolished. This will really rip the heart out of the place.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Doorstop wrote:I've been doing a bit of research on the Drumchapel shopping Centre development or the lack of therein and the trail has led to the local planning officer, a Mr David Gibson, bloody nice bloke who this very morning took a sizeable chunk out of his day to relay to me some of the fact of the new development of the centre as it stands.

The development is a partnership between Glasgow council and a private development concern, PPG Metro based in Edinburgh.

The actual work on site was originally planned as a 60 month phased development involving demolition (obviously already partially completed) and then a new build of both retail accommodation and new local government offices which include a new Civic Hub and more specifically a new Police station as Strathclyde police are finding the logistics of policing Drumchapel area problematic with their existing infrastructure.

Land for the new Police station has already been allocated and accounted for in the Strathclyde Polices' budget as this is apparently a priority as far as both the Police Regulatory bodies and the council are concerned. Mr Gibson added that the new Civic Hub build was, at present, under review as to size, function etc due to present financial restraints placed upon the council.

The rest of the Centres' development is, due to factors outwith the councils' control ie credit crunch etc, in a state of flux in as much as retail park layout etc is concerned.

The main player in the old Centre was and is obviously Somerfield. This retailer currently occupies a 40,000 foot premises that, according to Mr Gibson, has been struggling to function at half capacity.
The plan was to, after demolition of the old Somerfield premises, construct an entirely new building of 20,000 square feet to house the new 'Somerfield' concern.

This plan was thrown into uncertainty by Somerfields' corporate buy out by firstly the Co-Op and then subsequently Morrisons .. this uncertainty has unfortunately had a knock on effect on the subsequent phases of development as they are all pivotal on the main player having a finalised plan.

So in short the new Drumchapel Arndale centre looks to have a new, smaller supermarket (Probably a Somerfield, possibly a Morrisons), a new main Civic Hub or Council Office and a new main Police station for Drumchapel itself and the surrounding (Garscadden etc) districts. Other retailers have been in talks with PPG Metroabout taking up the remainder of any retail outlets but Mr. Gibson was somewhat reluctant to divulge who they actually were as the proposed development of their phases of the retail park were the ones undergoing dynamic changes in plans at the moment.

Mr. Gibson has promised to keep me appraised of any developments by email so I'll post them here as and when I get them.

None of which has actually come to fruition, I hasten to add, apart from the imminent closure of the Somerfield.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 pm

glasgowken wrote:Does anyone have photos of Drumchapel, from Victorian days til the 70's ?

Bit late Ken . .got this yesterday .. Jedworth Avenue circa 1966/67 going by the size of a very young Doorstop.

Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:24 am

Thae socks require a visit from the Social work. How's the circulation these days?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:29 am

I actually did laugh out loud at that .. well played that man. ::):
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)