Last Famous Person You Saw On The Streets Of Glasgow was...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Last Famous Person You Saw On The Streets Of Glasgow was...

Postby The Egg Man » Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 pm

I wonder if it was, indeed, the parents' fault. Perhaps she's just decided on an unusual spelling 'cos she thinks it makes her 'special'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm

nuttytigger wrote:ahh.. but whos to say she didnt change it herself?

The Egg Man wrote:I wonder if it was, indeed, the parents' fault. Perhaps she's just decided on an unusual spelling 'cos she thinks it makes her 'special'.

Either way, the decision maker is an attention-seeking idiot.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
minxy wrote:Clayr Doolan of the Scottish Rockettes

That's one of the things on my pet hates list and it's becoming increasingly common all the time :evil:

When did it become acceptable (expected even?) for parents to just make up spelling variants of traditional names (or are they just illiterate) :roll:

I'd give Registrars the authority to tell parents to pick a name from a standard list. For example, to Clayr's 'progressive' parents... "Whit? Are you kidding?? Get yersel to feck - it's Claire (or Clare at a push) you tit, and that's what is going on the birth certificate!"

You should piss off to France where the Registrars used to have the power to refuse registration if it wasn't a saint's name. Like Stephen or David. According to Wikepedia most French people have a given name which they use and name for official use. Luckily enough with the increase of immigrants to France or French people from former colonies as most of them are the use of Christian names is no longer compulsory.

If people want to call themselves or their weans Senga, Summer, Innocent or Steve or worst Dave so what. It's just a collection of letters.

yours

R2d2

I
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon May 17, 2010 8:41 pm

There are very few restrictions on the names that you can choose and hurrah for that. If Clayr wants to be known as Clayr, that's her business. She'll soon get fed up of it when she has to correct everyone every time they spell it wrong.

Some countries will make you get a court order before you can change your name and sometimes this will require your family's permission even if you're well into adulthood. If you're estranged from your family, you're stuck.

To impose restrictions on names doesn't sit well with British ideas of freedom of expression.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon May 17, 2010 9:20 pm

It's a socio-economic indicator.

There was a http://wwrosinski.spaces.live.com/blog/ ... !268.entry chapter on the subject in Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner a few years back.

Note that the names in the high-end economic indicator zone are as unusual as the ones in the low-end, if usually spelt more accurately.

On the subject of which, note also the presence of no less than four variants of Caitlin in one of the top tens listed.

My own surname has an Irish variant. Any contact with a company or organisation south of the border invariably results in mail addressed with that Irish variant. Even when the only contact with said organisation has been via a form filled in with the correct spelling.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon May 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
minxy wrote:Clayr Doolan of the Scottish Rockettes

That's one of the things on my pet hates list and it's becoming increasingly common all the time :evil:

When did it become acceptable (expected even?) for parents to just make up spelling variants of traditional names (or are they just illiterate) :roll:

I'd give Registrars the authority to tell parents to pick a name from a standard list. For example, to Clayr's 'progressive' parents... "Whit? Are you kidding?? Get yersel to feck - it's Claire (or Clare at a push) you tit, and that's what is going on the birth certificate!"

You should piss off to France where the Registrars used to have the power to refuse registration if it wasn't a saint's name. Like Stephen or David. According to Wikepedia most French people have a given name which they use and name for official use. Luckily enough with the increase of immigrants to France or French people from former colonies as most of them are the use of Christian names is no longer compulsory.

If people want to call themselves or their weans Senga, Summer, Innocent or Steve or worst Dave so what. It's just a collection of letters.

yours

R2d2

Well, if the French registrars still had such power I would perhaps say Vive la France and consider high-tailing over the Channel it but thanks for the suggestion anyway Dex.

Just a collection of letters? Do you really believe that statement? Why do most parents spend days (or even weeks) deliberating over their choice of name for their impending arrival if it is so unimportant?

Parents can bestow any sort of unusual name they like to their offspring, that's not what bugs me; Summer, River, Zowie, Apple, Moon Unit, Tiger Lily, etc, etc - most at least show some sort of imagination and in many cases I actually quite like them. It's those who take a perfectly good name and substitute random letters just for the sake of it that annoy me. I don't even get it in this particular case, I mean Clayr is an ugly-looking spelling!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 17, 2010 9:24 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
To impose restrictions on names doesn't sit well with British ideas of freedom of expression.

But it does sit well with their love of fascism.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 8cats » Tue May 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Elaine C Smith in Ikea this afternoon.
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby minxy » Tue May 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
nuttytigger wrote:ahh.. but whos to say she didnt change it herself?

The Egg Man wrote:I wonder if it was, indeed, the parents' fault. Perhaps she's just decided on an unusual spelling 'cos she thinks it makes her 'special'.

Either way, the decision maker is an attention-seeking idiot.

Wait till you see the next ones name :twisted: ....am kiddin :wink:
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 19, 2010 12:30 am

[quoteJust a collection of letters? Do you really believe that statement? Why do most parents spend days(or even weeks) deliberating over their choice of name for their impending arrival if it is so unimportant?
][/quote]

It is when you get down to it just a collection of letters. I did not say it was unimportant. But for all those who think Jack is the ideal name all it takes is one fart and your child is smelly for the rest of his life.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon May 31, 2010 1:00 pm

Does it count if they were on my plane? if so - Barry Ferguson and Carol Smellie
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Madonna and Guy get back together at the Garage.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon May 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Spotted this morning, just after 10am, Glasgow's very own camp duo Colin & Justin having a tizzy fit whilst trying to get the ticket vending machine in Queen Street Station to work, they then missed their train after posing for pictures and signing autographs!!
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bankie Boy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Kevin Bridges waiting to be served in the post office at the back of the Co-Op at Hardgate Cross. He seemed like a nice guy and was happy to chat to a few people who approached him. Since he became famous isn't it strange how lots of people in the area either went to school with him, lived next door to him, was pumped by him or had any other kind of tenuous links to him.
The best things in life aren't things
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Bankie Boy wrote:Kevin Bridges waiting to be served in the post office at the back of the Co-Op at Hardgate Cross. He seemed like a nice guy and was happy to chat to a few people who approached him. Since he became famous isn't it strange how lots of people in the area either went to school with him, lived next door to him or had any other amount of tenuous links to him.

I hadn't heard of him until I saw him on Jonathan Ross' TV show on Friday night - he came across as likeable and funny.

Any HGers ever attended one of his stand-up shows? Worth going to see??

PS Hardgate isn't in Glasgow you country bumpkin :wink:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)