Website - Scottish abandoned places

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Website - Scottish abandoned places

Postby downward_spiral » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:53 pm

Hi,

Sharon, if the plug offends, please bin this post 8)

Finally stopped being lazy and finished my website, now available at:

http://downward-spiral.co.uk

Currently has pictures from Lennox Castle Hospital, Burntisland Palace, Sisters of Notre Dame, St Peter's Seminary and the botanics tunnels.

Still to upload millions of shots which were available on the old test site, such as Hartwood, Woodilee, Bellsdyke, Nairn's factory, Ladybank engine shed, the Meadowside granary and various other junk.

Feedback appreciated. If anyone wants me to add a link to their own site, let me know.

Cheers,

David

----

http://downward-spiral.co.uk
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Nice 8)

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:09 pm

Jeez! what took you so long?

Cracker of a site Dave 8) . Those lennox pics still rip me up. What a place.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:49 am

I've often checked out your old site Dave. In fact i was just having another look at the RSNH galleries again last week.
You realise Lennox was the unbeatable holy grail of Scottish UE? You jammy bastard!
dazza
-
-

Postby allyharp » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:49 am

All your exploration updates are dated 3 years in the future! :D
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:28 am

Hi,

Pgcc93 wrote:Jeez! what took you so long?

It started off with Uni getting in the road of working on it. Eventually I lost track of what I was doing, and with so much stuff to change/add I lost interest. It doesn't help that I'm the laziest person on the planet, and I don't think I've ever finished anything properly!

Pgcc93 wrote:Cracker of a site Dave 8) . Those lennox pics still rip me up. What a place.

Cheers Graeme! Yup it was a beauty, sad to see it go :cry:

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:32 am

Hi,

dazzababes wrote:I've often checked out your old site Dave. In fact i was just having another look at the RSNH galleries again last week.

I never thought anyone looked at it 8). Half the reason I never updated it before now!

dazzababes wrote:You realise Lennox was the unbeatable holy grail of Scottish UE? You jammy bastard!

You know, I think Chris and Sharon and the rest of you who got Gartloch are the jammy bastards! That is one place I keep kicking myself over when I see images of it.

Lennox Castle was huge, but it was nowhere near as grandiose as Gartloch. That place looked stunning.

There's still plenty of those institutions around. I think Bangour is possibly bigger than Lennox Castle, so it's still beatable!

Cheers,

David
Last edited by downward_spiral on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:35 am

allyharp wrote:All your exploration updates are dated 3 years in the future! :D

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Copy and paste turns a typo into a farce 8O

Thanks!

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby radar » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:42 pm

Hi d_s, great site. Is the Notre Dame site in Dumbarton or elsewhere in the county. When I was a wee lad in the early 60's I used to hitch a lift on a milk van that did deliveries to a convent in Dumbarton called Notre Dame. Never saw the inside of the place, just the "back door" where the deliveries were dropped off. Where ever the building is that you feature, its a great shame that it has been wrecked the way it has. Same for Lennox Castle as well but I must admit that I can't get worked up about St Peter's. Now if you had had a chance to look around Kilmahew House which was next to the college before it was vandalised and destroyed, I think you would have been impressed.
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jim » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:17 am

Superb stuff! You've really captured the atmosphere of the Botanics tunnels inparticular. Look forward to more (and more obscure) explorations...
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:37 pm

There's still plenty of those institutions around. I think Bangour is possibly bigger than Lennox Castle, so it's still beatable!

Yeah, Bangour is vast (the entire estate of Bangour is 960 acres). I've done most of it, and although it's a fascinating place the buildings are pretty empty and practically devoid of "stuff". I prefer places that have that "just stepped out" look.
dazza
-
-

Postby downward_spiral » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:45 pm

radar wrote:Is the Notre Dame site in Dumbarton or elsewhere in the county.

It's in Dumbarton itself, round the back of Westcliff near the shore.

radar wrote:When I was a wee lad in the early 60's I used to hitch a lift on a milk van that did deliveries to a convent in Dumbarton called Notre Dame. Never saw the inside of the place, just the "back door" where the deliveries were dropped off. Where ever the building is that you feature, its a great shame that it has been wrecked the way it has.

It's interesting to hear everyone's stories about these places. It's strange that so many people I've spoken to actually know the convent quite well, and know exactly what I'm on about.

I've heard that the building is possibly on it's way to being sold. Considering the state it's in I find that hard to believe, but then you never know!

Same for Lennox Castle as well but I must admit that I can't get worked up about St Peter's.

Outside, it's not the most exciting lump of concrete in the world, it looks a bit like a car park. It does have a particular atmosphere inside though.

Now if you had had a chance to look around Kilmahew House which was next to the college before it was vandalised and destroyed, I think you would have been impressed.

I've read about it in a fairly modern book about the seminary, and I have to admit the pictures of the place were pretty amazing. When I read it had been torched, I was gutted (excuse the pun!)

Rot and grafitti etc are inevitable, but nothing pisses me off more than when I see an old building burnt down.. what a waste!

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:18 pm

dazzababes wrote:Yeah, Bangour is vast (the entire estate of Bangour is 960 acres). I've done most of it, and although it's a fascinating place the buildings are pretty empty and practically devoid of "stuff". I prefer places that have that "just stepped out" look.

That's true. Wasn't Bangour used as a location for a film last year?

Just had a look through your flickr gallery - great stuff.

I had no idea Belvidere would be so trashed though. Looks perfect on the outside.

Still plenty of hospitals up for grabs in Scotland.. :twisted:

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)