Galloway House Residential School

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Galloway House Residential School

Postby azimuth1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:24 am

Galloway House was a residential school which was visited by parties of primary school children from Glasgow from the 50`s right through until the mid 70`s.

I stayed there for about 4 weeks in June 1976 with other kids from Kelvinhaugh,Leithland and Milncroft primaries.

Anyone on the board had a stay there?Any memories?
azimuth1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Snapshot » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:54 pm

My dad definitely went, on one or more occasions... he was born in 1948, so if you want to do the maths you can work it out...

He seems to have quite fond memories, and when we were young we'd frequently go down to Galloway (and Garlieston in particular) for days and weeks away in the summer holidays.

One time we did go up to Galloway House and my dad palmed the groundskeeper a few quid to give us a look around the house, which was undergoing some maintenance. I vaguely remember the groundskeeper saying it was owned by an American now....

One thing I remember vividly was that we went into the library, and my dads eyes lit up... he marched straight up to the edge of one of the bookcases, and the corner of it turned out to be in some way hinged, opening up to contain "the cane"... ouch!

I reckon my old man saw a fair bit of that cane....

Alan
Snapshot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Merlot » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:25 pm

I stayed there for 4 weeks in the early 70's. One of the other schools was Adelphi. I think it cost about £3 for our parents to get shot of us for a month. We had lessons in the morning and most afternoons we were taken on educational outings in the local area. Garlieston village was visited on a Saturday and we got 5p to spend in the shop, 2p on another day during the week. We were shocked that we were supposed to get our sweets with so little money, but we must have managed. I enjoyed my time there and have always meant to go back. All the dorms were named after mountains or hills although I can't remember which one I was in.
Happy Days
:)
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby azimuth1 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:24 am

Merlot here are some details for you(I still have my diary from then!).

Boys dorms - Forteviot,Cruggleton,Rigg,Lamachan,Machars,Eggerness,Cree,Cairnsmore,Little Ross and Solway.

Girls dorms - Merrick,Benyellary,Poulton,Garlies,Scafell,Monreith and Skiddaw.

North class teachers - Mr Morrison and Miss Woodrow

South class teachers - Mrs Brockie and Mr Marquis

Library class teachers - Mrs Ferris and Miss Simpson

Head teacher - Mrs Macleod

Highlight of the week - A saturday night disco in the games hut.

Lowlight of the week - A mile and a half walk to Sorbie parish church

:)
azimuth1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Merlot » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:42 pm

Nup, I still cannae remember whit dorm a wiz in. Auld age :roll: Although I'm sure it was top left on the picture postcard of Galloway House.
Was Miss Woodrow the one that made you stand in a cold bath for a punishment? Never actually happened to me and the punishment might have been bummed up by the ones on the receiving end! It was also rumoured that she took a wee sherry! I don't blame the wummin right enough, we were fae Easterhoose and could have tried the patience of a saint, although we had a reputation to keep up :evil:
Funny the things that stay with you, if I sit on the floor I always sit with legs crossed and back straight and people can't believe it's more comfortable that way :oops:
Can still make my bed with hospital corners if the need arises. :wink:
Merlot
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Galloway House Residential School

Postby azimuth1 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:34 am

azimuth1 wrote:Galloway House was a residential school which was visited by parties of primary school children from Glasgow from the 50`s right through until the mid 70`s.

I stayed there for about 4 weeks in June 1976 with other kids from Kelvinhaugh,Leithland and Milncroft primaries.

Anyone on the board had a stay there?Any memories?

A picture of the afore mentioned house. :)

azimuth1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:09 pm

Is it still standing?
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby azimuth1 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:33 pm

PlasticDel wrote:Is it still standing?

Yes,very much still standing.
azimuth1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Merlot » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:13 am

Azimuth 1
Thanks very much for posting this picture. My dorm was definately top left.
Merlot
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jimsam23 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 am

i loved galloway house and i must have been there the same time as you as i was in milncroft school at the time because when we went back home we went straight on summer hols, when you were there do you remember the lad who could play the accordion and the miss simpson that was there was my teacher from milncroft, they were good days,x
jimsam23
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby blantyreiain » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:56 am

I lived and worked in the area in the late 70's, Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Sorbie, etc ( I think the caretaker then was Mr Hedley )

lovely part of the country and I sometimes miss the "pace of life" there.

Iain
blantyreiain
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Craford » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Although I never visited this great house I new of its existence. See this link to a fairly late posting here,
http://www.gallowaygazette.co.uk/news/l ... -1-1671910.
Any of with fond memories and even more cash might still be able to buy it in this day of slow moving properties.
Craford.
Craford
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:31 pm

The Egg Man wrote:A lot of house for £1,500,000

http://www.abamatthews.com/particulars. ... Garlieston
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby An Taigh Sear 14 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:38 pm

As a youngster I recall going to "Galloway House" for a month with my class. It was a wonderfully different place and environment from my humble abode in Parkhead. My dormitory was called "Cree" after a local River.

We had lessons daily of course but we also had nice wee trips down to nearby Garlieston to the sweetie shop and to post letters and cards back home to our families in Glasgow.

Sunday's were of course reserved for the church service. I remember one Sunday the Minister going off on one about some perceived witch hunt of a man called Richard Nixon in America. I hadn't a clue who Nixon was then, let alone America, other than the place where Cowboys and Indians lived, but it's funny how things like that stick in your cranium.[/b]

[b]A thing I also remember about that trip was that there were also other children from other parts of Glasgow there too. All around the same age. I actually don't remember much hostility between the various schools and areas. Maybe as most of us kids were nine and ten we simply just enjoyed ourselves like weans should.

I actually returned to Galloway House and Garlieston at the end of December last year. It was the first I had returned in nearly forty year. Garlieston Bay was as lovely as I recalled, although minus the old WW2 wreckage that was there when I was a youngster.
(They used that bay for practicing landings, building Bailey Bridges and Pontoons etc I believe.)

I couldn't get too close to Galloway House itself, due to a "Private" sign but I probably got to within 100 yards and still managed to get a decent look due to it's size.

You can still actually walk around the grounds and some gardens However the weather was atrocious. So I have promised myself I will return one fine Summer's day.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9875&start=90
An Taigh Sear 14
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tabs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:15 am

i was there about 1970 ?,cadder primary and another 2 schools that i cant remember,cant remember the name of the dorm either,remember going to get sweets in the wee village and playing football in a field that cows/sheep used to play in as well,went down a few years ago for a look around but could'nt get in :(
tabs
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)