That time of year again.....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:59 am

Captain Brittles wrote:As long as its lawful, whats the problem ?
We live in a democracy.

Captain Brittles wrote:And just an everlasting pity that, that 'religous and cultural friction' still exists to this day. We should all wake up and fix it.

Indeed we should wake up and fix it! But it's the "whats the problem" attitude that perpetuates this abhorrant ritual!! You can't even compare it to religion, its feudal, barbaric, down-right mis-guided and out of place in this society! How much do these marches cost to police? How much does it cost to close roads? How much does the clean-up afterwards cost? How many windows and bus shelters do you think First go through when the orange men are on the move?

Its a joke, a disgrace: OUR shame!!

Ban the marches and extend the festivals!

Damn the man and find a cause!

I would also dispute the implied willing overnight conversion of 99.5% of the population to the Protestant faith if I really cared that much, but I dont, so I wont.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby turbozutek » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:52 am

Check it:

At the base level, forgetting all else I ask this:

Are there not better, more constructive ways to spend your time?

::):

Spend time with a loved one, invent a cure for cancer, read a book:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:21 am

as for the third world thing the countries you have mentioned are relatively new to wealth

Kirkyguy, have you heard of these countries...in what sense for example have France or Italy only just come across wealth. They advanced as we did,
have no illusions 8O , in some places they advanced more than we did, just look at Milan, Paris etc these places have always been wealthier than we have.

I live in France, when I first came here I was convinced that it had to be less advanced than Scotland, now, as well as in the past, its just what the people believe in Scotland. I was in for a shock. Relatives that have visited me in France have the same approach, and I notice the same thing with Americans visiting Europe... ''oh, look at the funny little unadvanced people'' and so on. They also think that it was less advanced in the past.
They say this even as they walk through our cities (built hundreds of years ago) that put their modern ones to shame.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:27 pm

A valid Vlad point, as has been noted elsewhere.

Britain, and very much Scotland, has a truly wondeful record of invention and great ideas...

Only matched by the record of its inability to capitalise on those ideas in any way for its own benefit, while the rest of world laughs as it carts them all off and fill its coffers from them.

But...

We do have a good time as we do imprtant things like... march.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:22 pm

Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:50 pm

kirkyguy wrote:im not into this or religion in anyway whatsoever...but i beleive that the protesting of the medeval ramblings of the catholic church way back in the days of yore have saved us all from living in a third world country....

I've never read such pish in my entire puff.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: That time of year again.....

Postby james73 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:52 pm

Gazzathecoigne wrote:Yes. It's marching season, and the BIG walk has been brought forward this term. This is the last year it'll be going to the Green, and as of next year it'll be going to Kelvingrove again. That apart, what do you all do to avoid it? Or do you follow it? Even though my I'm a Rangers man, I am by no means an Orengeman, and won't be following it. So what'll you all be doing today folks, or indeed if you're out, post the photos.

I was off down to Dumfries to play fitba, so I thought'd I'd avoid it. Unfortunately,
as I went for my 11am train, I got caught it the middle of it. I did 'break' the
parade at St Vincent as I was fed up of standing there for 5 minutes waiting
for them to pass.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:18 pm

Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BB » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:16 pm

Hey Guys; I have a friend who is Belgian; he was high up the EEC and has recently retired to Glasgow. He is totally gob smacked at the religious intolerance in the west of Scotland today (I’ve told him it’s improved dramatically in the past few years)
He is a Belgian catholic and went to school with non-catholic pupils during the sixties, sometimes I hang my head in shame at the bile spouted by both sides of a so- called civilised society :oops:

ps
I'm sure Karl Marx said the religion was the opium of the masses...
BB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Captain Brittles » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:08 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:12 am

Captain Brittles wrote:I don't have a problem with anybody marching on the streets - of whatever religous persuasion or political belief - and I don't agree with most of them thats all. You can't ban people just because you don't like them. End of opinion, full stop.

what's your opinion on National Front marches?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:26 am

i think ALL marches should be banned. Hippies, proddies, nazis, gays... They all just cause inconvenience to everyone else.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:38 pm

More a Lowlands thing than just Glasgow

Just to clarify one point, Orange Parades also occur in the Liverpool area as I found out to my astonishment while on holiday at Southport one year. No difference from the Glasgow variety though, bunch of drunken prats causing trouble.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:47 pm

They basically occur anywhere where there are enough catholic people to wind up :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:58 pm

Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)